PHXscuba's Club 33 Christmas

Well, it's probably time to wrap this TR up and see what I got accomplished from my original bucket list I made in November. I am a "check off the list" kind of person" so it helps me to review.

The December AP bucket list

1. Get VISA photo in DCA -- I always plan to do this and never go during the peak morning hours. Why can't they run this in the afternoon like they do at Epcot? -- Didn't even try for it

2. Ride Grizzly River Run -- Totally weather dependent but I'm still holding out hope -- Weather was cold and clear and the ride wasn't even open that day, so this remains undone

3. Star Tours – Naboo or bust! -- I WILL get there one of these trips!!! -- Also didn't even try. The holiday stuff really took over that day after I tallied up how much I wanted to do that I couldn't do at other times of the year

4. It’s A Small World Holiday for sure -- Went on once in the morning and once at night. A definite trip highlight

5. Christmas shopping -- I want that scarf I didn't buy last time for myself and will probably pick up things for the kids too -- Got the scarf and treats for the kids. And we visited several candy stores, but no peppermint bark :sad2:

6. Jingle Cruise -- new corny jokes! -- Went on around lunchtime and got to see every bit of the line. Fun to see it different, but I wouldn't wait the 35 minutes for it again (in contrast I would totally wait the 20/30 minutes we waited for IASWH again)

7. Jingle Jangle Jamboree -- Especially since I missed it during its Halloween incarnation -- We walked around for a few minutes but didn't find much to do. But I'm glad I got back into that area and that they are using it more

8. See hotel lobbies -- I think my mother will especially enjoy this since I don't think she really knows how beautifully they are decorated -- We took the monorail to the DLH and walked trough the lobby. Also visited the GCH and ate our cookies basking in the warmth and light of the giant tree. I think it was a hit

9. See the holiday projection show on IASW -- Saw it and liked it!

10. World of Color -- must do the holiday version, especially since Mom and I both really like the regular WoC -- Only saw the first 5 minutes before they canceled it due to wind

11. Eat lots of holiday goodies -- This should really be number one on the list! -- Marceline's, the dessert buffet at Club 33, hot cocoa, but still barely scratched the surface of possibilities

If there's time I could see us doing the HMH again, or a few other rides, but I'm excited to soak in the Christmas spirit. You'll notice I didn't put the Carsland lighting on the list -- while I would love to see it I don't see how I can do it and the IASW show without ending up in the middle of the parade or racing around. And the Carsland lighting will still be there next time. -- Only other ride we did was Tower of Terror. And we saw the Christmas Fantasy parade because it was between us and IASWH!

It probably seems like I didn't get very much of my bucket list accomplished -- no GRR, no Star Tours, World of Color canceled, etc. But it's hard to put "stroll around and enjoy the holiday spirit" on a bucket list without it looking a little foolish in print. :hyper:

I will put my conclusions in a separate post to avoid this one being painfully lengthy.

PHXscuba

My conclusions:

1. There is no substitute for Christmas at Disneyland -- If you love Christmas and love Disney, there is nothing better than visiting at that time of the year. The Christmas spirit, the decor, the extra goodies, entertainment, etc. It's like getting Disneyland and a Christmas festival all in one. I think I am also going to move "Christmas season at Disney World" a little higher on my bucket list.

2. One day at Christmastime is not nearly enough -- Really, one day is never enough :rolleyes1 but the Christmas offerings have expanded so much with World of Color, Viva Navidad, etc. that I was literally trying to figure out how to be in two places at once. I knew going in that I would have to give some things up for the Club 33 opportunity, and I'm still glad I did it. But I think future Christmastime trips will have to be multi-day or I will be sad.

3. Club 33 is incredible -- It's not just the food, or just the service, or just the view, or the history, or the exclusivity. Everything combines for a unique experience that will never be replicated. I got to see the place Walt built. While I would love to see the renovated Club 33 to compare and to have a great meal and ambiance, it will never be quite the same as the original club.

4. Having an Annual Pass is awesome. And torture -- By getting an AP, I saved money on my March trip -- hotel, food, and souvenirs. I am certain I gave it all back to Disney with my September and December trips. But living in Arizona means the parks are a $130 plane ticket away (or the same in gas) and travel time. It is killing me that I won't get there again between now and when my AP expires March 10. I really hoped to ride the new Big Thunder Mountain when it reopened. It may not be for a few more years, but I'm certain this will not be my last AP.

PHXscuba

You got some nice pictures and accomplished quite a bit of your list!! The parks/hotels are just amazing during the holidays.......I've gone 3 years in a row and so glad I got those opportunities to do so. I see new things each time and never tire of the parade or Haunted Mansion Holiday. Adding in the Jingle Cruise was a nice surprise this year!! So glad I got to meet you and share the Club 33 experience......it is something I will never forget!!!

You got some nice pictures and accomplished quite a bit of your list!! The parks/hotels are just amazing during the holidays.......I've gone 3 years in a row and so glad I got those opportunities to do so. I see new things each time and never tire of the parade or Haunted Mansion Holiday. Adding in the Jingle Cruise was a nice surprise this year!! So glad I got to meet you and share the Club 33 experience......it is something I will never forget!!!

I will never forget that day and Club 33 either! I was willing to do the one-day trip because of that special opportunity, but I think in the future I will need more than one day for a Christmastime trip to do it justice. I should have sucked it up and stayed a second day last month but I felt bad about leaving the family home for me to go play. Stupid mommy guilt.:rolleyes:

I am still open to being at Disneyland for a day at a time, because I can't fit in a big trip every year, but I also know the family wants to see some of what else SoCal has. I think this will be the summer we go to Universal Studios (DH and I haven't been in 20 years and the kids have never been) and perhaps back to Sea World after awhile. It's sad, I'm already planning the road trip in my head without any dates to attach it to. Maybe July.

My DD14 may be the only one who goes to Disneyland this year -- she is going on a school field trip to LA that includes a day at Disneyland and a behind-the-scenes look at costume design and that kind of stuff.

PHXscuba

I will never forget that day and Club 33 either! I was willing to do the one-day trip because of that special opportunity, but I think in the future I will need more than one day for a Christmastime trip to do it justice. I should have sucked it up and stayed a second day last month but I felt bad about leaving the family home for me to go play. Stupid mommy guilt.:rolleyes:

I am still open to being at Disneyland for a day at a time, because I can't fit in a big trip every year, but I also know the family wants to see some of what else SoCal has. I think this will be the summer we go to Universal Studios (DH and I haven't been in 20 years and the kids have never been) and perhaps back to Sea World after awhile. It's sad, I'm already planning the road trip in my head without any dates to attach it to. Maybe July.

My DD14 may be the only one who goes to Disneyland this year -- she is going on a school field trip to LA that includes a day at Disneyland and a behind-the-scenes look at costume design and that kind of stuff.

PHXscuba

Very interesting about the road trip & going to Universal & Sea World...... :rolleyes1 Check out my new PTR....the link is below (and mine has dates attached.......plan accordingly.....lol) :rotfl2:

Very interesting about the road trip & going to Universal & Sea World...... :rolleyes1 Check out my new PTR....the link is below (and mine has dates attached.......plan accordingly.....lol) :rotfl2:

I just posted about us possibly doing similar things as you, over on YOUR pre-trip report! :lmao:

We could probably do a road trip fairly cheaply because I have people to stay with in SoCal, Carmel, and San Francisco. My kids have never been to SF and I don't think DH has been since he was a kid. My DH can't take off more than about a week from his business, so he might have to meet us there and drive back or the opposite.

PHXscuba

I just posted about us possibly doing similar things as you, over on YOUR pre-trip report! :lmao:

We could probably do a road trip fairly cheaply because I have people to stay with in SoCal, Carmel, and San Francisco. My kids have never been to SF and I don't think DH has been since he was a kid. My DH can't take off more than about a week from his business, so he might have to meet us there and drive back or the opposite.

PHXscuba

Having people to stay with would definitely help in keeping the costs down. I tell you..... San Francisco is not cheap!!

I've fallen off the page and can't get up! :rotfl2:

So I let my TR slide all the way off of the TR page ... but I really don't have any big news. I WISH it were that I had a Disney trip planned for later this year, but it's looking highly unlikely. I'm even jonesing to go back to WDW even with all of the Fast Pass Plus madness, that's how Goofy I've gotten.

DD14, who has turned into a total "Frozen" superfan, gets to go to Disneyland in about a month with her fashion club. They get a behind the scenes tour with the costuming department. Kinda wish I was able to chaperone that one but no one gave me the opportunity. She says she wants to wait in line to meet Anna and Else, even though I've told her about the monster waits. :rolleyes:

My AP officially expires in 17 days. :sad: I am going to have to follow along with everyone else's trip reports instead after this point.

Thanks one last time to those of you who took the time to read and comment over the last year-plus of my AP adventure! :grouphug:

PHXscuba :flower3:

I've fallen off the page and can't get up! :rotfl2:

So I let my TR slide all the way off of the TR page ... but I really don't have any big news. I WISH it were that I had a Disney trip planned for later this year, but it's looking highly unlikely. I'm even jonesing to go back to WDW even with all of the Fast Pass Plus madness, that's how Goofy I've gotten.

DD14, who has turned into a total "Frozen" superfan, gets to go to Disneyland in about a month with her fashion club. They get a behind the scenes tour with the costuming department. Kinda wish I was able to chaperone that one but no one gave me the opportunity. She says she wants to wait in line to meet Anna and Else, even though I've told her about the monster waits. :rolleyes:

My AP officially expires in 17 days. :sad: I am going to have to follow along with everyone else's trip reports instead after this point.

Thanks one last time to those of you who took the time to read and comment over the last year-plus of my AP adventure! :grouphug:

PHXscuba :flower3:

Bummer about not having a trip in the works......that's what keeps me sane....... :lmao:

We're doing a huge road trip in July and will be at Disneyland July 15-16-17.....just a coincidence that we'll be there for their 59th Anniversary. Pretty sure there won't be a big deal made....but have heard the characters come out to sing Happy Birthday....so hoping we can find out more about this and not miss it!!

As for FastPass+ ......great concept....nice to plan out which of the FP rides are a priority.....BUT......if doesn't leave you a lot of freedom to go with the flow. You also only get to do 3 a day....... so if you park hop, you have to decide which park you want to use those 3 at. You won't get 3 at each park. You also won't be able to do paper FP's on top of the 3. So you get 3......and that's it! So you have to plan for a lot of standby lines. :crazy2:

Anywhos......hope life is going good for you!!! :goodvibes

Too bad you can't go with DD. Thank you for sharing with us.

Bummer about not having a trip in the works......that's what keeps me sane....... :lmao:

We're doing a huge road trip in July and will be at Disneyland July 15-16-17.....just a coincidence that we'll be there for their 59th Anniversary. Pretty sure there won't be a big deal made....but have heard the characters come out to sing Happy Birthday....so hoping we can find out more about this and not miss it!!

As for FastPass+ ......great concept....nice to plan out which of the FP rides are a priority.....BUT......if doesn't leave you a lot of freedom to go with the flow. You also only get to do 3 a day....... so if you park hop, you have to decide which park you want to use those 3 at. You won't get 3 at each park. You also won't be able to do paper FP's on top of the 3. So you get 3......and that's it! So you have to plan for a lot of standby lines. :crazy2:

Anywhos......hope life is going good for you!!! :goodvibes

Too bad you can't go with DD. Thank you for sharing with us.

I appreciate that DISers understand my general grumpiness about my AP expiring. I'm afraid that if I tried to explain the feeling to many of my local friends, they wouldn't get it: "You got to go 3 times last year, what are you complaining about?" I know how blessed I am, but that doesn't mean I won't miss Disneyland until whatever undefined future time I get to return. I'm sure it won't be that long!

In the meantime I will probably be popping into the DIS intermittently, if only to read some of YOUR trip reports and live vicariously a little through y'all!

PHXscuba

Well, planning is always half the fun. Very much enjoyed your TR. We did 3 days in SD, zoo one day, SW one day, visiting the city and the navy base the other day. Then drove to Hollywood, one day at USH, 1/2 day in Hollywood. Then 6 days at DL. It was an expensive trip. We had a lot of fun last year. But headed to FLA this year. The draw of USO and the new HP area is too much a draw for my thrill riding kids. I have a USO AP, and since USO discounts to renew, that is another reason we are USO bound. Well, that and military tickets for WDW. Split stay for us.

Some day I will try to get my Xmas pictures up. We enjoyed our holiday Busch parks trip. Not sure I will renew my AP for Busch, but I may. They discount too, when you renew.

Hope all is well out your way. We are still in a polar vortex, or translation, below freezing most of February. So ready for spring to come, although that means outdoor soccer.

Well, planning is always half the fun. Very much enjoyed your TR. We did 3 days in SD, zoo one day, SW one day, visiting the city and the navy base the other day. Then drove to Hollywood, one day at USH, 1/2 day in Hollywood. Then 6 days at DL. It was an expensive trip. We had a lot of fun last year. But headed to FLA this year. The draw of USO and the new HP area is too much a draw for my thrill riding kids. I have a USO AP, and since USO discounts to renew, that is another reason we are USO bound. Well, that and military tickets for WDW. Split stay for us.

Some day I will try to get my Xmas pictures up. We enjoyed our holiday Busch parks trip. Not sure I will renew my AP for Busch, but I may. They discount too, when you renew.

Hope all is well out your way. We are still in a polar vortex, or translation, below freezing most of February. So ready for spring to come, although that means outdoor soccer.

Thanks Lynne. We have done San Diego before but not in awhile. I'd like to do SeaWorld again and probably the aircraft carrier. Maybe a short stopover on the way to see my folks in SoCal. Probably USH this summer too on the same trip.

I have to be very quiet about our weather here. It's been a very warm February, hovering around 75-80. The days are awesome, but it's too hot to sleep at night, and I am NOT turning on my AC in February -- it will be on until Thanksgiving.:eek: I'm not ready for it to be hot and stay hot. My friends scattered across the Midwest and Northeast -- from North Dakota to Vermont and into Canada -- don't want to hear about it. :confused3 wonder why? :rolleyes:

Best of luck surviving the chill!

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter