Photos - Theirs/Yours/Both?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
Will the photographers use your phone/camera to take character pics on board or are you limited to buying theirs? Will they snap like one of just the kids and then one family picture? This is our first DCL cruise and I'm just trying to figure out if we truly need to prepurchase the pictures or not. My daughter is 8, will be 2 weeks shy of 9 when we cruise, and our last trip to Disney World (this past June) she was iffy on how many characters she really wanted to meet and interact with. As our time went on she warmed up to it more. Just torn on whether to purchase and us not use much, but be left without photos if we don't.

There’s a discount to buy it ahead of time. If you don’t think you have enough pics to justify the package, you can cancel prior to the last night for a full refund. I have found that they will use your camera, but it’s the CM next to the the photographer and the pics aren’t as good.

The photographers may or may not use your phone to take pictures, but asking costs you nothing so I would see if they’re willing.

When it comes to characters, Mickey and crew will have a CM handler and they’re likely to do it if asked. I don’t recall if princesses do or not.

With regard to getting a package, if you get one you’re more than likely to get the photographers to take your pictures wherever, whenever.

At the Princess Gathering I heard one of the photographers say to a guest that they can only take photos with their own cameras. (I'm not surprised that Shutters doesn't want their photographers to work for free.) The cast member who's working with the characters will take a picture for you. I remember that the princesses each had handlers because Rapunzel's was talking to her about how we both had very long braids.

Thanks everyone!

There’s a discount to buy it ahead of time. If you don’t think you have enough pics to justify the package, you can cancel prior to the last night for a full refund.
I didn't realize you could cancel.

I saw Disney Visa gives you a 10% discount on photos. Does that work with the prepurchase discount or is it only on the full price option?

The Disney Visa discount on photos is only good for the full price packages on board. The prepayment discount is 15% I believe.

The shutters staff aren't Disney cast mbers they are insted hired through an outside compay that takes photos for many diffrent cruise lines.

Any idea how much individual pics are onboard? I looked on the website and don’t see any onboard pricing.

6x8 are 14.95 a pop.
8x10 are 19.95 a pop.

Photos come in set sizes so you can't switch it up. 6x8 are going to be character photos and 8x10 will be the themed professional shots that use the backgrounds as well as when the photographers come to the MDR or Palo/Remy to take shots/

Hi! Is the prepayment option only available once you are 75 days out? We are going on our first DCL Jan 2020. Thanks!

Will they snap like one of just the kids and then one family picture?

They consistently did this for us.

One thing we hadn't known ahead of time is that they didn't have photographers or even visible handlers during reboarding on Castaway Cay (it was our last day) so you want to have your own camera and someone to take photos there. They have them for the character meets at Mount Rustmore but in the afternoon they had Stitch and then Captain Hook/Smee right by the ship and those were the ones where you were on your own to take the photos.

Will the photographers use your phone/camera to take character pics on board or are you limited to buying theirs? Will they snap like one of just the kids and then one family picture? This is our first DCL cruise and I'm just trying to figure out if we truly need to prepurchase the pictures or not. My daughter is 8, will be 2 weeks shy of 9 when we cruise, and our last trip to Disney World (this past June) she was iffy on how many characters she really wanted to meet and interact with. As our time went on she warmed up to it more. Just torn on whether to purchase and us not use much, but be left without photos if we don't.
When it was just professional photographers they said they are not allowed to touch our camera. When a cast member was present they always took pictures with our phones. Many times we would get people standing behind us in line to take our picture with the phone so we still were able to have a photo taken outside of the character photo spots. We didn't buy the package.

You may already know this, but many people have strong feelings about the borders that DCL includes on their character photos. And they're not optional. I liked them but not everyone does. That can make a difference in whether the package is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter