Photopass photo editing - what do you do?? How do you do it?

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
When I edit the photos from the PP photographers, I don't plan out what I might want, I try to make all of the edits I could ever want. However, then I end up with hundreds, if not thousands of photos depending on how many trips I make in a year. My problem is, how do I then wade through those to actually make prints of what I end up wanting? After I edited a photo to add a specific border on the 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 sizes how do I tell which is the 4x6, which is the 5x7, and which is the 8x10 when I decide I want to print a 5x7? They all look basically the same on the thumbnail image, so i can't tell. I usually put maybe 3 borders on each photo in every size (a dated border, any holiday borders, and another one I may like, for example), I only skip photos that are essentially doubles and ones that are just terrible. Plus sometimes i will zoom in and save that photo, then I have 2 photos to edit (the original and the zoomed one)! Then when you add in MNSSHP photos I want extra borders for those photos. You can see how this gets time consuming and overwhelming :eek:! Add on to this that the photopass site is extremely slow, and the more photos you have on it the slower it seems to get!

So what do you do? Really just pick a couple of favorites and only add borders to those? Forget the borders? Only make edits to the standard 4x6 photo size? (why can't I just make a larger photo from the 4x6? Do they change the photo quality when you save it to an 8x10?)

I need to change my ways, I have 2 trips to edit, the second with lost of MNSSHP photos, and i can't give up days or weeks of my life to fight with the website and edit each photo into 9 or more photos!! What would you change?? :confused3

I normally do not change the size, unless there is a specific reason (I have a frame that we want to use).

I will go thru the pictures, add some boarders to some, perhaps zoom in on a ride picture, and add a boarder to block people out.

In the end, after editing, I download them, and sort them into the various directories I have at home. I have also learned, you need to download quickly after editing. Right now some of my July pictures have Halloween and Christmas Boarders. The older pictures lost their boarders...

I normally do not change the size, unless there is a specific reason (I have a frame that we want to use).

I will go thru the pictures, add some boarders to some, perhaps zoom in on a ride picture, and add a boarder to block people out.

In the end, after editing, I download them, and sort them into the various directories I have at home. I have also learned, you need to download quickly after editing. Right now some of my July pictures have Halloween and Christmas Boarders. The older pictures lost their boarders...

I know you lose the ability to add certain borders if you wait too long to edit (such as MNSSHP ones, or dates when the new year starts, etc) but I've never heard of them changing on you! I have an AP so photos stay in my account for a year, and I usually order the physical disk when we have all of the trips finished and the edits done, and AFAIK the edits have always remained even on photos that are a year old. I'll have to watch.

maybe I should be more choosy on which photos i edit - like pick a favorite from each of the different groupings instead of editing them all. I guess that's probably an obvious answer, and one I clearly have a hard time doing! I hadn't even noticed you could change the photo size until I read about someone doing it on here - and from then on out I tried to do each photo in each size but like I said i then don't know how to tell them apart after the fact!

That also brings up another problem I have and forgot about since I usually order the disk they send to me - when I download them they are all zipped and I don't know how to unzip them. Any quick and easy ways to do this for someone who isn't great with computers?

That also brings up another problem I have and forgot about since I usually order the disk they send to me - when I download them they are all zipped and I don't know how to unzip them. Any quick and easy ways to do this for someone who isn't great with computers?

I couldn’t figure out how to do that either. I just save them one at a time on my phone now. In the past I have paid for the cd too.

In order to unzip a folder you should be able to right click on it and select 'Extract All.' This then opens a dialog window where you can select the destination folder you would like all of the files to be unzipped to. Or, you should be able to double click on the zipped folder and then select all of the items inside and use CTRL+C to copy them and then go to the location you want to place them in and use CTRL+V to paste them there.

Best thing to do though, is go to Google or Youtube. There are many many tutorials out there on the web that break down these types of processes step by step, based on which version of which operating system you're using.

(Note: I'm looking at this right now on my work PC, which is still running Windows 7. I haven't unzipped anything in a while on my home laptop with Windows 10, so it might look slightly different)

The borders and stickers appear to be extremely limited right now. It may not be as big of a problem for you this time. I used to be just like you. This trip, when I tried to edit my MNSSHP photos, there were not even any MNSSHP borders.

It'[s not going to help you, but what broke me of my editing addiction was when they changed the Disneyland Photopass website and separated it from the WDW website. When it first changed over - which was either during or right after one of our DLR trips- they no longer had ANY borders or stickers. All there was for me to do was download the photos. So, I didn't spend days and hours on end and I survived and the photos are cute without the borders and stickers. The DLR website has since added back some borders and stickers, but I still hate the DLR website because they also got rid of the photobooks, mugs, etc. so you have to get your photos and upload them into the WDW site to make any products you want-- but at least it broke me of my too many edits habit.

I would say look around your house and see how many of those thousands of pictures you have actually printed and have in frames. If you are like me, the answer is not many-- just a few of our absolute favorites. Then, as you go through your pictures, look closely at each one and say to yourself "Am I really ever going to print this and put it in a frame?" If the answer is no, then don't bother doing borders or stickers-- just move on to the next one. If the answer is yes--- my next question is ---- "Will I really ever put this in an 8X10 frame?" If the answer is yes, then I do 4X6; 5X7 and 8X10. If the answer is no, then I just do 4X6 and 5X7.

Also-- don't forget that for ones that you don't add any borders and stickers-- once you have downloaded them, you can always zoom, crop, edit them on your own.

I have been getting a message on the WDW photopass website for the past week that they are going to change to a new website and that any product projects that I am working on need to be finished and ordered by November 24 or they will be wiped out in the change.

I have been on the phone with photo pass 4 times in the last week because I am trying to make a photobook and there are 572 uploaded photos from trips we took 2 and maybe even 3 years ago showing up in the photobook maker. They keep telling me they are going to remove them within 24 hours. They even sent me an E-mail saying they had removed them. When I logged back in only 25 were gone-- there are still over 500 there. That was 2 calls ago. They have been very nice and extended my photo time since there are technical issues-- but that isn't going to do me any good if the book I went ahead and started with the photopass pics gets wiped out before I can get my personal pictures uploaded and in the book and all the backgrounds and stickers the way I want them.

I just read the message on the photopass website again and it specifically states that edits such as borders and stickers will not transfer to the new website on November 24th, so anything you have done needs to be downloaded before the 24th.

I just read the message on the photopass website again and it specifically states that edits such as borders and stickers will not transfer to the new website on November 24th, so anything you have done needs to be downloaded before the 24th.

Well this is news to me! I'm going to have to go check it out now. I have lots of photos on there now, but none that have been edited. Luckily I didn't start any projects from our most recent trip, and for the June one I already ordered a photo book, calendar, mugs, and mouse pads I just didn't get around to editing photos yet. I certainly hope I'll get to keep the photos, but with what you just wrote I'm going to wait to do any edits until after whatever they are going to do happens. first, I will never get done by then. Second, we have another trip coming up over New Years so when I order a disk (assuming you can still do that) I will want to wait until those photos are done, so editing now wouldn't make sense since it would be lost next week anyway.

Also, your previous post helped a lot. You described me exactly, and what you wrote is true. I have all of the photos on disk, but hardly any printed out and most that were printed were 4x6 to put in Christmas Cards, etc. Plus, if I print one out larger, I don't know that I would want a border on it. I'll have to save your post and read it as tough love when I go to edit in the future :-)

I just went to the photopass website and saw that I have 689 photos from a total of 3 trips, none edited, and I could not find anything about a site change on November 24th or any edits being lost at that time :confused3. I also saw that they had a lot of both Halloween and Christmas Borders, including MNSSHP and Hocus Pocus. I'm not doubting anyone that they are changing, I just don't see how I'm supposed to know. I looked around the site and pretended i was going to edit my photos, I just didn't save the changes. My old projects that haven't expired are still there also, with no warning that I needed to buy them now or lose them (I already bought them all, but what if I hadn't?)

I used to do the same thing. Hundreds of thousands of photos....

And I realized not once have I printed any of the edited photos in order to frame them.

So now I don’t bother wasting my time. I might edit a few faves and call it a day. It just gets to be too much.

And the downloading is a PITA.

I know you lose the ability to add certain borders if you wait too long to edit (such as MNSSHP ones, or dates when the new year starts, etc) but I've never heard of them changing on you! I have an AP so photos stay in my account for a year, and I usually order the physical disk when we have all of the trips finished and the edits done, and AFAIK the edits have always remained even on photos that are a year old. I'll have to watch.

maybe I should be more choosy on which photos i edit - like pick a favorite from each of the different groupings instead of editing them all. I guess that's probably an obvious answer, and one I clearly have a hard time doing! I hadn't even noticed you could change the photo size until I read about someone doing it on here - and from then on out I tried to do each photo in each size but like I said i then don't know how to tell them apart after the fact!

So, they never changed the boarders, actually just removed them.

Specifically, I had a few hundred photos from a trip in July with a bunch of friends. I had edited some, added boarders and the like. Then, life got in the way.

So, last month our friends daughter asked me where were the pictures? When i went back to them, the pictures were there, but all the boarders and stickers were gone. If I had a picture, and made three copies each with a different boarder, now I just had four copies of the same picture.

Since they are on there for a year, yes, I can now add current boarders to pictures that were taken in July, but I cannot get the old boarders if they are no longer there (think 4th of July themed boarders).

Amen. My two biggest gripes are that on desktop, you cannot sort newest to oldest and you cannot download by date range, meaning if you take a lot of trips during the year, you need to download one photo at a time. That's honestly why I stopped bothering with borders.

And I realized not once have I printed any of the edited photos in order to frame them.

So now I don’t bother wasting my time. I might edit a few faves and call it a day. It just gets to be too much.

This is me too. I used to spend a ton of time editing. Now i may add a border here or there. Zoom in here or there, but for the most part I just download them and call it a day. This may be somewhat psychological for me though. We used to pay for MM. Now it is included in our AP so...there's that.

Amen. My two biggest gripes are that on desktop, you cannot sort newest to oldest and you cannot download by date range, meaning if you take a lot of trips during the year, you need to download one photo at a time. That's honestly why I stopped bothering with borders.

Why do you have to download one at a time? I have always downloaded them all together, and they would break them into batches so I would have maybe 10 groups to download one at a time- so 10 times. However, they were all a jumble and zipped, so it would be very hard to find a specific picture. Plus I don’t know how to tell which ones were edited for 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10. I have a lot of complaints, but the actual downloading hasn’t been one of them.

This is me too. I used to spend a ton of time editing. Now i may add a border here or there. Zoom in here or there, but for the most part I just download them and call it a day. This may be somewhat psychological for me though. We used to pay for MM. Now it is included in our AP so...there's that.

This is also me- I always bought MM and now it’s on our AP. I don’t think that’s changed my outlook, though. It’s just I don’t have time to do the edits, the site is soooo slow and I have other things to do in life also! Then after I do them I can’t tell which size photo is which, and I have so many I get overwealmed. I need to do what you did, edit a few favorites and just keep the rest as is. They are cute regardless, and for most part the location should be enough I guess. It’s just hard to let go....

So, they never changed the boarders, actually just removed them.

Specifically, I had a few hundred photos from a trip in July with a bunch of friends. I had edited some, added boarders and the like. Then, life got in the way.

So, last month our friends daughter asked me where were the pictures? When i went back to them, the pictures were there, but all the boarders and stickers were gone. If I had a picture, and made three copies each with a different boarder, now I just had four copies of the same picture.

Since they are on there for a year, yes, I can now add current boarders to pictures that were taken in July, but I cannot get the old boarders if they are no longer there (think 4th of July themed boarders).

That stinks! I think I’ve kept photos with borders a long time and that never happened. However, I have waited so long to edit the correct borders were no longer available. Like the 2017s all became 2018, or the Halloween ones were all gone and replaced by Christmas. If I decide to edit this recent trip, I’m in danger of that happening agaon since we went to one of the last Halloween parties and now it’s full on Christmas!

I’m realizing this is what I need to do, because I have rarely printed any. In addition, when I do print them often the borders are cut off oddly- thanks Walgreens! However, realizing it and letting go and doing it are different. Baby steps I guess. Or I’ll just run out of time and the right borders will be gone and I won’t really have a choice.

I just went to the photopass website and saw that I have 689 photos from a total of 3 trips, none edited, and I could not find anything about a site change on November 24th or any edits being lost at that time :confused3. I also saw that they had a lot of both Halloween and Christmas Borders, including MNSSHP and Hocus Pocus. I'm not doubting anyone that they are changing, I just don't see how I'm supposed to know. I looked around the site and pretended i was going to edit my photos, I just didn't save the changes. My old projects that haven't expired are still there also, with no warning that I needed to buy them now or lose them (I already bought them all, but what if I hadn't?)

When I go to mydisneyphotopass-- on the first page that asks "Where were your Disney Photos taken" and has you click either WDW, DLR, ESPN Wide World of Sports or Aulani, it states directly under that:

Walt Disney World Resort and Gameday Photos Guests:
Beginning November 24, all of your unexpired Disney PhotoPass photos
taken at Walt Disney World Resort and ESPN Wide World of Sports
will be accessible exclusively on a new website.

Please note that ongoing photo gift products and edits like borders or stickers
placed on watermarked photos will not transfer to the new website.

Please purchase your photo gift products and any watermarked photos
with edits by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on November 23.

Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa Guests:
Beginning November 24, all of your unexpired Disney PhotoPass photos taken
at Aulani will be accessible exclusively at Disneyland.com/PhotoPass.

Please note that ongoing photo gift products and edits like borders or stickers
placed on watermarked photos will not transfer to Disneyland.com/PhotoPass.

Please purchase your photo gift products and any watermarked photos with edits
by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on November 23.

If I am already logged in and it takes me directly to my photos-- I don't see any announcement of that at all. They still haven't cleared the old uploaded photos out of the product so that I can finish my book. I got an E-mail from them this morning that they were "still working on it". I'm starting to get stressed out that I won't be able to complete my book before what I have already gets wiped out. Also, in the back of my mind, I am starting to wonder if they aren't going to fix it because they are changing websites and are just putting me off.

The borders/stickers seem to be coming and going. A few days ago, there were no MNSSHP borders or stickers available for my MNSSHP photos. I was specifically looking for them. Now, I can see a MNSSHP border and sticker.

Last edited:

Can't you just hit the download button in the right top corner and then let them all download into zip files, extract to check them, and delete the folders you already have? Mine does seem to group all the ride photos together-- but the rest of them are pretty much day by by day of our trip in order?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts