Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

real world shots with the Sony 24mm F/1.4 GM, a tour through Universal Studios theme park...

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2019/02/22/sony-fe-24mm-f1-4-gm-at-universal-studios/

Nice write up Adam and great pics.

Right now I'm shooting with the "poor man's" version of this setup. A6000 + Sigma 16mm 1.4. It's an interesting focal length. Many will say it's too wide for portraits and too tight for wide angle. What I like about the Sigma vs. the Sony 24 1.4 is the close focusing distance which allows you to get some unique shots with the nice bokeh of the lens becoming more pronounced.

I sold my A7R2 (before the prices dropped) and been waiting to see if Sony delivers on an A7000. I also have my eye on an A7r3, especially with those recent price drops.

My plan was to use my NEX-7 until I made a decision, but the shutter finally died on it (last check was over 300,000 actuations!) so I picked up the A6000 on sale. Still a decent performer.

Nice write up Adam and great pics.

Right now I'm shooting with the "poor man's" version of this setup. A6000 + Sigma 16mm 1.4. It's an interesting focal length. Many will say it's too wide for portraits and too tight for wide angle. What I like about the Sigma vs. the Sony 24 1.4 is the close focusing distance which allows you to get some unique shots with the nice bokeh of the lens becoming more pronounced.

I sold my A7R2 (before the prices dropped) and been waiting to see if Sony delivers on an A7000. I also have my eye on an A7r3, especially with those recent price drops.

My plan was to use my NEX-7 until I made a decision, but the shutter finally died on it (last check was over 300,000 actuations!) so I picked up the A6000 on sale. Still a decent performer.

I’d seriously consider the a9 over the a7riii, which you can get for nearly the same price. The question is really speed/af or resolution. But I’m admitting that I don’t really -need- 42mp.

Yes, 24mm is a mixed focal length for a prime. It’s definitely a useful focal length — which is why it’s covered by 7 different Sony zoom lenses.

But do you really need it in a prime? Unless you’re shooting very very close to your subject, you don’t get much background separation. It’s wide enough for conventional landscapes but doesn’t give you the creative options of ultra wide. (After 2 days of test shooting the 24mm... I ended up using my 12-24 far more often).
While you can shoot environmental portraits with it, it’s a bit short even for that — I prefer 35mm.

So it’s kind of a great lens that you don’t necessarily need.

I was surprised by the greatest benefit: you can actually shoot landscapes at 1.4, meaning instead of ISO 12,800 at night, more like ISO 1600— big difference. Not many lenses can shoot landscapes wide open.

I’d seriously consider the a9 over the a7riii, which you can get for nearly the same price. The question is really speed/af or resolution. But I’m admitting that I don’t really -need- 42mp.

Yes, 24mm is a mixed focal length for a prime. It’s definitely a useful focal length — which is why it’s covered by 7 different Sony zoom lenses.

But do you really need it in a prime? Unless you’re shooting very very close to your subject, you don’t get much background separation. It’s wide enough for conventional landscapes but doesn’t give you the creative options of ultra wide. (After 2 days of test shooting the 24mm... I ended up using my 12-24 far more often).
While you can shoot environmental portraits with it, it’s a bit short even for that — I prefer 35mm.

So it’s kind of a great lens that you don’t necessarily need.

I was surprised by the greatest benefit: you can actually shoot landscapes at 1.4, meaning instead of ISO 12,800 at night, more like ISO 1600— big difference. Not many lenses can shoot landscapes wide open.

I was at a wedding in Colorado a few weeks ago and the Photog was carrying an A9 and an A7r3. I asked her which she liked more and she said she loves the way the A7r3 handles and loves the files, but the a9 is just so responsive and fast. For me, responsive and fast are not at the top of my needs. I appreciated the ability to use the A7r2 in full frame and crop mode.

I was at a wedding in Colorado a few weeks ago and the Photog was carrying an A9 and an A7r3. I asked her which she liked more and she said she loves the way the A7r3 handles and loves the files, but the a9 is just so responsive and fast. For me, responsive and fast are not at the top of my needs. I appreciated the ability to use the A7r2 in full frame and crop mode.

Then you’ve got your answer.

I definitely feel like we are at a point where camera makers are realizing that the audience for even higher resolution is shrinking. There certainly are some consumers (more than pros) who want to keep adding more and more resolution.

But when people use the cameras... we really are hitting diminishing returns. I’ve seen many who jumped at the d850 or a7r series... only to reflect after a few months.

Don’t get me wrong, the high resolution images are gorgeous. And the a7riii also has more DR than the a9– it’s not just about resolution.

But when I’m loading 1000 images into Lightroom, the workflow with 24mp images is much faster. And at the sizes I tend to view my images, there isn’t a world of difference between 42 and 24mp.

I’m actually hoping the a7r4 sticks to 42mp, without feeling a need to break 50.

Well after a 4 year hiatus we are back to WDW last week and our trips are so different now that the kids are older and taller. My youngest is 41" so this was also our first trip everyone could ride mostly everything together, was a lot of fun. This trip we spent a full day at MK, half a day at AK and a little bit at DHS for the SW fireworks. Here are a few photos ive gone through since we got back. We currently have plans to go back for a long weekend in 2 weeks.

Still shooting with the A7iii, love everything about it really. Then i have the 28-70 which I am not a fan of and eventually will replace with the Tarmon. Then the Rokinon 12mm FE and Sony 50mm 1.8. Plan on getting the Batis 18mm and Sony 70-300g here in the next couple weeks

Shot with the kit 28-70mm lens,. Was pretty happy with how well this one came out
_DSC5399 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

_DSC5709 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

_DSC5906 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

DiVine by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Amp Suit by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Magic Kingdom by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Pirates Life by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Well after a 4 year hiatus we are back to WDW last week and our trips are so different now that the kids are older and taller. My youngest is 41" so this was also our first trip everyone could ride mostly everything together, was a lot of fun. This trip we spent a full day at MK, half a day at AK and a little bit at DHS for the SW fireworks. Here are a few photos ive gone through since we got back. We currently have plans to go back for a long weekend in 2 weeks.

Still shooting with the A7iii, love everything about it really. Then i have the 28-70 which I am not a fan of and eventually will replace with the Tarmon. Then the Rokinon 12mm FE and Sony 50mm 1.8. Plan on getting the Batis 18mm and Sony 70-300g here in the next couple weeks

Shot with the kit 28-70mm lens,. Was pretty happy with how well this one came out
_DSC5399 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

_DSC5709 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

_DSC5906 by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

DiVine by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Amp Suit by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Magic Kingdom by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Pirates Life by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

I blame Tom Bricker for getting me hooked on ultrawide theme park photography...

universal (435 of 1172)-Edit.jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Lots more with the 12-24 at Universal:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2019/03/10/sony-fe-12-24mm-f-4-g-at-universal-studios/

Great shots gentlemen! Adam, are you using a filter on that 12-24? If so, what set-up?

Great shots gentlemen! Adam, are you using a filter on that 12-24? If so, what set-up?

The 12-24 doesn't take filters. Don't need them at night fortunately.

I've used the 16-35/4 with ND filters for waterfalls, here: https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/07/02/long-exposure-with-sony-a7riii/

If I was still a Nikon shooter, their new 14-30/4 looks great, balance between ultra wide, small size, reasonable price, and takes filters.

As an aside note... some of the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless lenses are really starting to make some of the Sony lenses look really overpriced. Specifically: The Nikon 50/1.8 is reviewing as slightly better than the 55/1.8, but the Sony is priced 50% higher. The Canon RF 35/1.8 macro is $450... While the Sony 35/2.8 is $750! I wonder if Sony is contractually obligated to overcharge just because they are "Sony ZEISS" branded!

On another side note... I'm borrowing the A6400 for 2 weeks.... any questions anybody wants answered about the camera?

The 12-24 doesn't take filters. Don't need them at night fortunately.

I've used the 16-35/4 with ND filters for waterfalls, here: https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/07/02/long-exposure-with-sony-a7riii/

If I was still a Nikon shooter, their new 14-30/4 looks great, balance between ultra wide, small size, reasonable price, and takes filters.

As an aside note... some of the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless lenses are really starting to make some of the Sony lenses look really overpriced. Specifically: The Nikon 50/1.8 is reviewing as slightly better than the 55/1.8, but the Sony is priced 50% higher. The Canon RF 35/1.8 macro is $450... While the Sony 35/2.8 is $750! I wonder if Sony is contractually obligated to overcharge just because they are "Sony ZEISS" branded!

I knew it doesn't have a filter thread, was wondering if you bought an attachable filter system.

I do think the Zeiss brand carries a premium somewhat undeserved which is likely why Sony is no longer coming out with Zeiss branded lenses.

On another side note... I'm borrowing the A6400 for 2 weeks.... any questions anybody wants answered about the camera?

How helpful is the flip up screen for shooting video.

How well does the focus tracking system work.

How helpful is the flip up screen for shooting video.

How well does the focus tracking system work.

I have an A9 and I'm looking forward to the firmware upgrade. So the A6400 will be a mini-test of that upcoming system. (though reports are that it doesn't work as well on the A6400.. not enough processing power/stacked sensor speed to handle it like the A9).

I think I can answer your video question without even testing it: If you want to mount a mic to the hotshoe, the flip screen is nearly useless. For casual SOOC selfie video.... guess I'll see.

Another nice write-up Adam. I've found the 85mm 1.8 to be a very good lens when shooting action. Seems like a nice combo with the a6400.

When you think about it, the 85/1.8 may be their longest fastest and fastest AF lens.

The 85/1.4 has faster aperture but very slow AF.
The 90/2.8, 100/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are all slower aperture.
The 135/1.8 isn’t actually out yet.

So if you want telephoto + fast aperture + fast AF.... the 85/1.8 may currently be the best lens in the lineup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!