Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

Great stuff going on here everyone! I just received a "new to me" Samyang 35 f2.8 AF. For the price, I'm surprised at how sharp this little lens is. It's very close to the Zony which I've used before. Wide open it is very sharp and it focuses faster than the Sony 50 f1.8. Maybe I can get some a chance to do some shooting this weekend and have something to post here.

Lucy by Harry Shields, on Flickr

Great stuff going on here everyone! I just received a "new to me" Samyang 35 f2.8 AF. For the price, I'm surprised at how sharp this little lens is. It's very close to the Zony which I've used before. Wide open it is very sharp and it focuses faster than the Sony 50 f1.8. Maybe I can get some a chance to do some shooting this weekend and have something to post here.
y Shields, on Flickr

Faster than the 50/1.8 isn't saying much!
But it certainly looks like a nice compact walk-around lens. I have the Sony version which I bought relatively cheaply used. Still undecided on whether I like it, haven't used it a ton.

The 50 f1.8 is slowwwww to focus. I was expecting the Samyang to be terrible at AFbut was surprised. I love the 35mm view as a carry around setup. I also love the size and weight of the little lens. I just need to pick up a small wide lens for my cruise next month. Somewhere in the 14-20 range and I’ll take a manual lens.

The 50 f1.8 is slowwwww to focus. I was expecting the Samyang to be terrible at AFbut was surprised. I love the 35mm view as a carry around setup. I also love the size and weight of the little lens. I just need to pick up a small wide lens for my cruise next month. Somewhere in the 14-20 range and I’ll take a manual lens.

The Batis 18mm is fantastic (Fractal has used the 18mm, I have the 25mm which is great). It's fairly small, just not cheap. Probably about $900 used. Venus Laowa 15mm, MF lens, about $850 new. Cheapest option is probably the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm.. there is a MF version and AF version.

Just announced...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Laowa 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 FE Zoom
This lens is currently the widest zoom lens available for Sony full frame E-mount cameras. Designed primarily for travel photography, Venus optics have managed to compress the size to smallest in its class, less than 10 inch (<10cm) and only 1.1 pounds (<500g). The 102° (18mm) to 130° (10mm) angle of view provides flexibility for photographers to compose landscape or architecture photos with ease. The lens houses with 14 elements in 10 groups with 2 aspherical elements & 1 extra-low dispersion element to deliver exceptional performance. It can focus as close as 15cm for some mini-macro shooting. A rear filter slot is included to fit with 37mm filter. Click/clickless aperture can be toggled by the switch on the lens barrel.

As far as the Batis 18mm. I rented it for my last Disney trip. Terrific image quality, bigger than I thought (with hood on), but light.

Just announced...

This lens is currently the widest zoom lens available for Sony full frame E-mount cameras. Designed primarily for travel photography, Venus optics have managed to compress the size to smallest in its class, less than 10 inch (<10cm) and only 1.1 pounds (<500g). The 102° (18mm) to 130° (10mm) angle of view provides flexibility for photographers to compose landscape or architecture photos with ease. The lens houses with 14 elements in 10 groups with 2 aspherical elements & 1 extra-low dispersion element to deliver exceptional performance. It can focus as close as 15cm for some mini-macro shooting. A rear filter slot is included to fit with 37mm filter. Click/clickless aperture can be toggled by the switch on the lens barrel.

As far as the Batis 18mm. I rented it for my last Disney trip. Terrific image quality, bigger than I thought (with hood on), but light.

Saw.... Dont know how it will be priced. Venus doesn't price their lenses too cheaply. If it's under $1,000... it's interesting. But from about $1,000 and up... I'd just pay the extra and get the Sony 12-24 G, or get a prime.

I’ll lrobably end up with the Samyang 14. I don’t shoot wide very often but want a lens to take on vacation. I’ll mostly use the 35. I can’t spend much on lenses because I’m Jeep poor.

Just announced...

I’m so use to the small size and weight of the Fuji lenses. I’m thinking a nice kit would be the Samyang 14, Samyang 35 and Sony 85 f1.8.

I’m so use to the small size and weight of the Fuji lenses. I’m thinking a nice kit would be the Samyang 14, Samyang 35 and Sony 85 f1.8.

Very nice kit.

In terms of your trip.... don't forget the used-buy-sell-in-lieu of rental. Buy whatever great lens you wanted, used, regardless of price. Especially if you pay with paypal credit. Then re-sell after your trip. Total cost, between 0-20% of the actual full cost of the lens.

Very nice kit.

In terms of your trip.... don't forget the used-buy-sell-in-lieu of rental. Buy whatever great lens you wanted, used, regardless of price. Especially if you pay with paypal credit. Then re-sell after your trip. Total cost, between 0-20% of the actual full cost of the lens.

Didn’t think of that..... thanks for the tip.

Nice write-up! I think I'm now leaning more towards the Rokinon 35 1.4 af. It's been getting good (some great) reviews and at a great price. I've liked what I've seen from image samples but have to spend the time to compare the rendering to the Sony; and you've given me a nice supply of them!

I really want to get my hands on the Samyang/Rokinon, just to do a comparison. On other sites, they look really close... and the Rokinon may have better bokeh.

_DSC9290-X3.jpg

Helios 44M-4 @ f2
The Helios is pretty sharp wide open but needs a lot of contrast added when PP. This lens is famous for its "busy" bokeh which I love.

JKU by Harry Shields, on Flickr

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!