Photo pass for adult trip?

shaunaday

Disney is my jam!
Okay, my husband and I are going to WDW without kids in a few weeks. We are pretty sure we won’t be standing in line to get pictures with characters...but I’m second guessing my decision to not buy the memory maker. I mean, how else will we document the fear on our faces on TOT. ‍♀️ Thoughts? Would you buy it for a 4 park day adult only trip?

Personally, no. I have an AP which gets me free memory maker and in all the years it's been offered with it, at least two trips a year, my adult son and I have used it once for a picture in front of the castle at night during Christmas. I used it once on a solo trip for a picture with Chewy cause he's my dude, otherwise we don't use it. Caveat, neither my son or I like to have our pictures made and any pictures we want of the park or places we take with our cell phones. Back in the day before we had APs, we would buy one picture a year, of the both of us in front of the hat at HS because it was fun to document our ages through the years. My son even wore the same shirt. When they removed the hat, that stopped and we haven't picked up the tradition since.

I went on a solo trip and got memory maker. I had a blast getting pictures. I did do the character ones too but even the other shots around the world were fun

My wife and I (no kids) will get it. Usually don't get many character pics, but a few especially if we see a short line. But we will hit up many Photopass spots, wife will make a shadow box display of a few pics, pins we buy and our MB's from the trip! It's great not to have to constantly ask people to take our photo. And its fun to be able to look at them already on MDE while we wait in line later in the day!

Memories are important; so, I vote yes. You do need to allow time to get photos done beyond the rides.

I've been on a few husband and wife trips and we don't get memory maker every time. You will find cast members will take pictures for you with your camera. There are strangers that will do it, too.

My Fiancee and I got it the last time we were there and it's a must have for us. Neither of us love having our pics taken but we found that over a 7 day trip there were enough spots to get photos taken each day that didn't feel like we were searching those locations out ( sort of just stumbled on them ) and then we had a blast once we got home creating an album of photos for just us.

I have an AP so I don't know what memory maker costs, but it is a lot of fun! I like doing the Magic Shots and getting the ride photos. Pics with characters I don't care about or bother with, but the photopass people are all over the parks and I think it's fun to take pics with them (see my profile pic)!

Okay, my husband and I are going to WDW without kids in a few weeks. We are pretty sure we won’t be standing in line to get pictures with characters...but I’m second guessing my decision to not buy the memory maker. I mean, how else will we document the fear on our faces on TOT. ‍♀️ Thoughts? Would you buy it for a 4 park day adult only trip?

We love using photo pass and we do a lot of couple trips. We also love the pictures with characters. If you decide not to get the photopass you are able to buy pictures and the few times we did not get photopass we did buy a few of the photo pass photos- do this via on-line not in the park, you get the digital download on line- not in the parks

I bought it for my last solo trip (2016) and bought it again for my trip coming up soon. I'm not much of a picture person, and I don't do character meets, but I LOVE the ride pictures. Anyway, if I think it's do-able for a non-picture loving solo person, I really do think you and your husband should spring for it. I think it will capture some really nice memories!

So my comment here might be a bit subjective to your current situation and part of a larger conversation you might want to have with your husband.

First off my question is what are your dinning plans while being in the Parks, I know when me and my wife go to Disney, we tend to actually like the sit down meals more than the quick service snack and go. Exception being the Harbor house at MK. If you and your husband plan to eat mostly sit down meals with reservations. depending on where you plan to eat, it might be beneficial to think about at least 1 AP, same goes if you are staying on site, alot of times the AP discount for rooms is better than what the general public sees by about 10 percent per tier. IF you plan to buy Souvenirs the AP discount can also save you alot of money.

in the end the question is how do you like to Disney with your significant other. Memory maker is just a extra bonus that Disney does to make money, if you just want 1 ride photo then you can still buy just that photo from Disney for alot less then what Memory Maker costs yet if You and your husband are like me and my wife, after about a 4 day trip staying on site, the Annual Pass actually ended up saving us money because of how we dine and shop with the added bonus of the free memory maker to feed my wifes love of pictures that she then turns into shadow boxes after each of our trips.

Like many things at Disney, the answer really is how much do you plan to use it. For 1 or 2 pictures then no its not worth it but for 10 to 20 possibly, but if you are looking at other things that are offered at Disney you might want to take the jump to getting at least 1 Annual Pass to use the discounts available there.

My last several trips have all been short (4 days or less) and adults-only and I've bought MM every single trip. We're not character meet-and-greet people either, for the most part, but MM is worth it to me if only for the ride photos. We also enjoy getting pictures of the whole group without having to hand over our phones (I know the CMs don't mind, but I'm super weird about letting others touch my phone), so we tend to stop at lots of Photopass photogs throughout the parks.

We don't do pictures with the characters but all the rides that have pictures and the cute little video are the pictures we enjoy. I did find that if you buy one picture on the first ride that all the rest load - not sure whether this is kosher. We don't usually save / buy the pictures so it's not an issue.

Prior to it being included with an annual pass, I still bought it every time. I am usually roaming around by myself :) I just enjoy the freedom of not having to hand over my phone or camera and ask them to take the picture, and being able to stop on a whim.

We already bought it for our September trip. DH and I have so few pictures of just the two of us as we are usually the ones taking the pictures. We thought it would be nice to get great pictures of the two of us. We don’t have much interest in characters except for Star Wars, the Beast and Bayamax, and that’s all me - DH isn’t big on any characters. But we want the magic shots, photo ops, rides and photo pass pics. We are staying for seven nights and also going to MNSSHP.

My first question is what does $160 mean to you two? Is this something that is a cost to consider or you wouldn't blink twice?

I personally would vote against because I can allocate that $160 towards something else. All cast members will take pictures of you two with your personal phone. I'd choose a ride that you really want the picture from (i.e. ToT) and purchase it a la carte.

We're planning an adults only trip for our anniversary in September, and I'm planning to get MM. We are terrible about taking photos of ourselves. If we have MM, we will stop and have our photo taken. We'll also get all the ride photos/videos and any other special shots we stumble upon. It will be worth it for us.

I guess it all depends on your budget! My boyfriend and I went last summer and did not purchase Memory Maker because of the price. Like you, we did not plan on doing character meets. That being said, I still caved and did a few. I had no problem asking a CM or stranger in line to use my phone to take the picture. All photos turned out pretty great. Even ones in front of the castle! I will admit, the ToT ride video was pretty awesome. But overall, we did not see MM as being worth it for us. I chose not to add it to our package for our upcoming trip this summer. I never felt like I missed out the first time by not booking it. And if you absolutely love a video/picture that a PhotoPass photographer takes of you on your trip, you can always purchase the digital download for $14. Much cheaper than the entire Memory Maker package if you don't plan on using it. Lol

I like it for the ease of use - only have it now for AP (never paid for it - just my caveat). Last trip with friends we racked up over 400 photos - that was just saying as a group that if we see a photographer with no line we stop. For as busy as it was there were lots of them. We did wait for a tree picture at AK as I really wanted one! It is so nice to have pics together easily.

Now that being said - when budget is at play and I have no AP I just ask the photographer to take one with my camera as well. They have to say yes and then I have group pics.

I got over 400 pictures as a solo last time (12 days), so to me it was worth it.

I personally think it's a good value given how much it normally costs for me to get professional photos at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter