phone chargers

Forever Disney Young

Earning My Ears
Could someone please clarify if the portable phone chargers that can be purchased at Disneyland for $30 and then swapped out, if that is a one time fee for length of stay or if that is $30 per day or per park visit? Thank you, this is our very first trip!

I have never used them, but I'm pretty sure it's $30 for life (i.e., some airports and other attractions have kiosks and you can keep the charger and swap it out on other trips as well). I've heard they're a bit cheaper if you buy it elsewhere and then bring it to Disneyland with you.

Yes, it is $30 for life. You can swap at any location; I have used them at both WDW and DLR over the past 6 months and originally purchased at the Sacramento airport where it was $5 cheaper. If you buy it online it is $25 too ($20 charger plus $5 shipping). When you swap it out you don't have to put in any code or anything, just drop it into the slot and they will scan the barcode and a new one will pop out.

One thing I have found is the charger itself works great. But sometimes, the charging cable may not charge as quickly or it could break (I jammed it into my pocket once and the charging connector bent). I was talking with a representative who was refilling one of the machines and she said if that ever happens, you can call tech support (there are phone numbers on all of the machines). They can then remotely activate it and when you put in your charger they can release a whole new kit with a new cord. I believe they have 24/7 tech support, or at least when the parks are open.

Here's the thing about those chargers: you can buy almost the exact same thing online for less than $20. I have one and occasionally bring it to the park. It works perfect. Think I paid around $13 delivered.

Here's the thing about those chargers: you can buy almost the exact same thing online for less than $20. I have one and occasionally bring it to the park. It works perfect. Think I paid around $13 delivered.

Yep! I got one at Best Buy for $24 that can charge two phones at once and has 4 charges at a time! Works perfect for us in DL! I just charge it up every night when we get back to the hotel.

Yeah, I definitely don't disagree you can purchase chargers cheaper elsewhere. The thing is though, I'm pretty forgetful about that sort of thing. So I always end up forgetting to recharge it once it's used up so when I would head out to Disney I wouldn't have anything to help when my phone went low. Or if I do remember to take them out to charge, then I forget to repack them when I leave the house. With the fuel rods, I can just keep it in my park bag and know, if it's empty I can just get a new one immediately, without having to worry about it!

So, I guess I'm willing to spend the extra money to have that convenience factor!

My charger was free as it was a 'freebie' given to my son so I'm sure it didn't cost much! It charges my phone twice per charge. It's about the size of two lipsticks stacked end to end with a stubby cord so it's real convenient to stow in my small cross body. The only downside is that the charger itself takes a LONG time to recharge.

You can get adequate chargers on Amazon for as low as $10-$15.

With the advent of Max Pass, I'd pretty much advise everyone to carry a portable charger.

Yeah, I definitely don't disagree you can purchase chargers cheaper elsewhere. The thing is though, I'm pretty forgetful about that sort of thing. So I always end up forgetting to recharge it once it's used up so when I would head out to Disney I wouldn't have anything to help when my phone went low. Or if I do remember to take them out to charge, then I forget to repack them when I leave the house. With the fuel rods, I can just keep it in my park bag and know, if it's empty I can just get a new one immediately, without having to worry about it!

So, I guess I'm willing to spend the extra money to have that convenience factor!

Same here. I actually bought a new charger before going last time and forgot it in the room. Ugh. I wasn’t walking back to get it so I just bought one in the park the first night. It doesn’t have a great charge but I just swapped it after I used it. Definitely handy no I just need to remember to pack the darn thing.

There are always two options - the cheaper but harder one or the more expensive convenient one. Disney makes a lot of $$$ off convenience and I think this is a great service with the chargers. We have a few portable chargers but they are old and honestly not intended for our newer phones, especially my plus sized iPhone, so I will buy another one or two to take with us when we go - I never ran out of juice before but I'm thinking with the new Max Pass I'd like to have a back up ready. You spend $8000 on a holiday what's another $30 if we end up forgetting it?

Also, we are sort of crazy, charge everything overnight people. In fact I bring these cube wall plugs when we travel so you can have three plugs from one since hotels often don't have enough outlets for all the crap we plug in today. It certainly helps when you have several people in a room and only a few outlets.

leviton-power-strips-multi-outlet-converters-r54-00692-00w-64_1000.jpg

We always travel with a small power strip in our suitcase so everyone can charge their stuff (oh, so much stuff!) overnight. The power strip helps compensate for how inconveniently located some hotel outlets can be. If at least one of us can find and reach an outlet (over there, behind the cabinet with the television, at the odd angle, almost in the corner...), the strip can extend out so the rest of us can plug in/remove our devices more easily.

Ok I use the fuel rods on my last trip and let me tell you I loved it. You can buy the fuel Rod online for $20 before you go to Disney and it is the exact same thing you pay $30 for ay Disney. It comes with the fuel rod and the charging cables but you can use your own charging cable. There are a few key off spread throughout both parks and when your fuel Rod is dead you simply place it in the machine and it gives you a fully charged one this is a great option if you have teenagers with you. You get to keep the fuel rod and there are locations outside of Disneyland spread throughout airports that you can use them too. I still have my two from the last trip which I ordered from the fuel Rod site before my trip and exchanged several times during my trip. They are lightweight easy to carry and you don't have to remember to recharge them every night.

Where are the locations to buy/exchange fuel rods in the parks?
The locations are on the map but I'm going to do my best to remember and tell you the ones that we used. There is one by the lockers on Main Street there is one by Space Mountain and there is one in the Winnie the Pooh store back by Splash Mountain. Then in DCA the only one we used was the one in the photo shop but I think there's another location there.
There is also supposedly one by the ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney but I've never use that one

Where are the locations to buy/exchange fuel rods in the parks?
Disneyland:
-Main Street Lockers
-Winnie the Pooh shop
-entrance to Frontierland
-exit from Space Mountain (that one is a little harder to see because it is in an alcove near West entrance to Space Traders)
-Small World shop

DCA:
-Photo shop
-Gift shop next to Award Weiners
-Ramones Auto Body Shop
-there was one at Paradise Pier but that is under construction now

ESPN Zone

Hotels (not in the lobby but nearby):
Disneyland Hotel lobby
Grand Californian
Paradise Pier

These were great! You can get ones for cheaper, but it's the convenience of swapping out for a fully charged one. Most days we went through 3-4 rods. $30 to purchase with unlimited swaps. On the DL app, the locations are shown under Guest Services.

How long do they take to recharge a regular sized iPhone? Also, has anyone had any experience with them recharging plus sized iPhones? I have heard they take quite a bit longer for some reason.

How long do they take to recharge a regular sized iPhone? Also, has anyone had any experience with them recharging plus sized iPhones? I have heard they take quite a bit longer for some reason.

I used it to charge my 6s plus. No, issues and it took a little bit (probably around 30 mins) because I still kept using it while it was charging. YMMV, but one fuel rod is about 1.5 full charges for the plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter