Philando Castile shooting - full dashcam video released

9:05:55 p.m.
Yanez said, “Okay, don't reach for it, then.” Castile responded, “I'm not pulling it out,” and Reynolds also said, “He's not pulling it out.” Yanez screamed, “Don't pull it out!”

Logic would dictate that, at this point, one should stop doing anything with your hands, put them in full view of the police officer and wait for instructions.

A little use of logic on Castile's part would have saved his life.

Logic seems to be in short supply these days.

Boy, it's always the victim's fault, isn't it? Run, you get shot. Stay, you get shot. Ignore directions, you get shot. Follow directions, you get shot. Inform officer you are legally carrying a gun, you get shot.

And every time, it's your fault.

Every time.

Sure.

More importantly his gun was never seen, let alone in his hand. I believe it was removed from his person by EMS.

To be fair, Mr. Yanez' initial interview indicated he had NOT seen the gun, only that he'd seen Mr. Castille hold his hand in a "wider grip" than a wallet (which makes no sense to me, but this is what he said). During trial, this changed. He told the jury he thought he saw a gun.

Other witnesses gave conflicting accounts about where the gun was AFTER Mr. Castille was dead. Some said he was partially out of his pocket. Others said he was removed "deep" from within Mr. Castille's pocket...i.e., not visible.

To be fair, Mr. Yanez' initial interview indicated he had NOT seen the gun, only that he'd seen Mr. Castille hold his hand in a "wider grip" than a wallet (which makes no sense to me, but this is what he said). During trial, this changed. He told the jury he thought he saw a gun.

Other witnesses gave conflicting accounts about where the gun was AFTER Mr. Castille was dead. Some said he was partially out of his pocket. Others said he was removed "deep" from within Mr. Castille's pocket...i.e., not visible.

Sorry, I've been around courtrooms too often to understand I'd want to see original statements AND testimony under oath of all witnesses. I'd want to evaluate for myself what skin in the game each witness had as well, and evaluate how that may impact their account.

I would say I want to see crime scene photos as well, however understanding the situation I realize that those do not exist in a way that depicts where the gun was when Mr. Castille was shot.

ETA Even the shooter's own words according to what you say indicate he never saw the gun before shooting Mr. Castille. That fact is quite telling, considering it comes directly from the person who made the decision to deploy lethal force.

Last edited:
Were this man's hands out/up in plain sight?

I doubt he was just sitting there with his hands in plain view when the police officer decided to draw his weapon and fire.

I don't think we can KNOW where his hands were as it was not captured on video. But the verbal exchange indicates that Mr. Castile was reaching for something.

He was reaching for his license, as instructed.

Those instructions were given before he announced he had a gun on him. Once he announced he had a gun, the situation was entirely different.

I'll agree that the police officer should have given clear instructions at that point for Mr. Castile to put his hands in plain view.

However, anyone who goes through taking the course to have a permit to carry a weapon, should also know to put their hands in plain view and make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that they are not getting their gun out once they announce that they have one.

I've taken the course in Texas (where we LOVE our guns) and it was drilled into my head how you should handle yourself when interacting with law enforcement.

However, anyone who goes through taking the course to have a permit to carry a weapon, should also know to put their hands in plain view and make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that they are not getting their gun out once they announce that they have one.

I've taken the course in Texas (where we LOVE our guns) and it was drilled into my head how you should handle yourself when interacting with law enforcement.

The courses vary so much from place to place, though. It is impossible to know how well Castile was taught.

From what I understand of the MI requirements, it is pretty much a joke. Show up, pay the fee and enjoy the included lunch, and at the end of the day you've got the documentation you need for your concealed carry. Nothing is "drilled" into anyone. They run through a checklist of talking points, break for lunch, and then go to the range. And our legislature is working on eliminating the course requirement completely, so future permit holders will have even less training in how to safely handle encounters with law enforcement (and ironically, they're using the worthlessness of the current classes, a situation directly created by lack of oversight, as justification for eliminating the training requirement entirely).

If you look on youtube under gun instructor fails you will find many videos. These are the people teaching these courses, and after watching some of the videos its pretty easy to see that not all of them are qualified. I don't think saying Castile should have known because he took a course is fair. I do think that Yanez should have known, he is the cop after all.

This is scary

Other than the trauma of witnessing the shooting, I guess I don't see why she would. Unless I'm mistaken this wasn't his daughter?
You are mistaken. She was.

ETA: unless you mean strictly biologically. He wasn't her birth father but had stepped into the role of father.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter