Philadelphia/D.C. Adventures by Disney - Reviews?

leannak

DIS Veteran
Can anyone point me to reviews/info/trip reports about the Philadelphia and Washington D.C. Adventures by Disney trip? I can't seem to find much and by looking at the itinerary I'm concerned it isn't as much fun and exciting as the other AbD trips. I'm sure it's very interesting and educational, which we would love, but is there enough of the AbD magic on this trip to make the price worthwhile?

I wouldn’t do a Disney trip to philly or DC. I work in philly, they stay at the Wyndham in old city I believe. You can get to old city no problem either walking or taking a patco and stay in a better hotel. Same with the DC tour. I just stayed at the Willard Intercontinental in DC and it was beautiful and you could walk everywhere. I would highly recommend it.

Philly and DC are very easy to do on your own. Both cities are very walkable and have easy public transportation.

I figured that would be the case, but I was wondering (hoping) there would be some special Disney access or added fun to make the trip worthwhile.

While this is straying off topic I'll add some favor to these "softball" trips ABD does. My wife and I did the NYC ABD Long Weekend trip in 2017 and loved it. There was nothing on that itinerary that you couldn't have done yourself (easily in most cases) but it is that care and handling that ABD provides. We were met at the airport and taken to our hotel, the logistics of getting around from A to B was taken care of and if there were any issues they were resolved before we even knew about them. We did book a couple of extra pre days as there was so much in NYC that ABD didn't cover but we were able to fill in the gaps between available options with private tour (added to the cost of course) and DIY wandering around. In my opinion the added value that ABD (and other tour operators, see the Other Options thread on this board) brings to the table makes it worth booking even for these comfortable destinations. We have looked at this tour ourselves and one year I'm sure we'll book it.

I am strongly considering doing this AbD for the price. The overall places don’t look amazing (most are things I’ve already done for free) but I might also do NyC or Boston short escapes. I’m just not sure.

We’re still considering the DC trip. If anyone goes on this trip this spring and has anything to share, I’d love to hear more!

I just realized the ABD doesn't visit the White House. Anyone know why? Is that easy to add on your own if we stay a day or two afterwards?

I just realized the ABD doesn't visit the White House. Anyone know why? Is that easy to add on your own if we stay a day or two afterwards?
You can book it yourself, but you do have to request it in advance. There's a very limited number of spaces, and they go quickly. It is free, though.

Public tour requests must be submitted through your Member of Congress. These self-guided tours are generally available Tuesday through Saturday (excluding federal holidays or unless otherwise noted). Tours are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Requests can be submitted up to three months in advance and no less than 21 days in advance. You are encouraged to submit your request as early as possible as a limited number of spaces are available. The White House tour is free of charge. Please note that White House tours may be subject to last minute cancellation.

https://www.nps.gov/whho/planyourvisit/the-white-house-tour.htm

Sayhello

The only way to get a visit to the White House is to submit a request via your Member of Congress. That's a little much for ABD to manage.

I work in DC and live nearby and all you'd be really paying for would be the guides, and the convenience and information they would convey. It's easy to get around here and arrange visits to the tourist interest areas on your own.

Please don't waste your hard-earned money (almost $12,00 for a family of 4 !!!) on ABD to Philly & DC (I live here). They are very easy cities to tourist in. It's a quick Amtrak train ride between the downtown stations in the two cities; don't drive, you won't need a car to sightsee in either city.

All you need is a plan: a list of attractions you want to visit, a centrally located hotel to walk to attractions, maybe a HOHO (hop on/hop off) bus or METRO (subway) ticket for things bit out of the way like Arlington cemetery. Remember that all the Smithsonian Museums in DC (Air & Space, American History, Natural History, National Zoo, etc) as well as other attractions like the Capitol (get tickets ahead of time) are all free; in Philly, National Park affiliated places like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are free. Both cities are super family friendly and have great off the beaten path stuff to do and places to eat. Take your time and see a show or a sporting event; wander some of the great neighborhoods and get a feel for two great cities. Enjoy seeing and lingering over what your family in interested in.

Gettysburg is very worthy of a day trip from DC. Rent a car for the day through your hotel; it's about an hour and 45 minute drive and you'll see some lovely countryside on your way there. Then hire a National Park ranger to join you in your car for one of the best tours ever. Those three days of the Civil War battle in July 1863 will come alive as you walk that hallowed ground.

Every kid should visit these great places; plan it as a family...

Agree...don't use ABD for Washington DC and Philly. Fly into Philly No car needed - public transportation very easy and historic part of town quite compact. Stay there 3-4 days and visit historic sites. See where Declaration of Independence was written, Liberty Bell, etc. UBER over to see library steps Rocky ran up. Then take train to DC, book a hotel near the mall. Again you won't need a car. Use metro and hop-on hop-off bus to get around. Stay 3-4 days... See the actual Declaration of Independence. As noted, white house needs passes. Fly out of DC. If you have extra time, rent a car and drive to Annapolis to your Naval Academy.

Bumping to see if I can find anyone who has done this trip to review it for us. I can’t find anything online anywhere.

Please don't waste your hard-earned money (almost $12,00 for a family of 4 !!!) on ABD to Philly & DC (I live here). They are very easy cities to tourist in. It's a quick Amtrak train ride between the downtown stations in the two cities; don't drive, you won't need a car to sightsee in either city.

All you need is a plan: a list of attractions you want to visit, a centrally located hotel to walk to attractions, maybe a HOHO (hop on/hop off) bus or METRO (subway) ticket for things bit out of the way like Arlington cemetery. Remember that all the Smithsonian Museums in DC (Air & Space, American History, Natural History, National Zoo, etc) as well as other attractions like the Capitol (get tickets ahead of time) are all free; in Philly, National Park affiliated places like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are free. Both cities are super family friendly and have great off the beaten path stuff to do and places to eat. Take your time and see a show or a sporting event; wander some of the great neighborhoods and get a feel for two great cities. Enjoy seeing and lingering over what your family in interested in.

Gettysburg is very worthy of a day trip from DC. Rent a car for the day through your hotel; it's about an hour and 45 minute drive and you'll see some lovely countryside on your way there. Then hire a National Park ranger to join you in your car for one of the best tours ever. Those three days of the Civil War battle in July 1863 will come alive as you walk that hallowed ground.

Every kid should visit these great places; plan it as a family...

I agree...those cities are very doable on their own. As is NYC actually. But at least NYC I can understand can be overwhelming for some...and they include that Broadway show

I agree...those cities are very doable on their own. As is NYC actually. But at least NYC I can understand can be overwhelming for some...and they include that Broadway show
Unless you’re an international guest wanting a fully guided tour, I agree that these are easy DIY trips. ABDs are best for difficult itineraries that you might find logistically hard to do and book on your own, esp with a language barrier. We loved ABD Peru and is a great example where ABD really excels: storytelling, luxury accommodations, food, 2 and sometimes 3 guides, complicated transportation, etc.

Philly and DC are very easy to do on your own. Both cities are very walkable and have easy public transportation.

I totally agree. I have worked in Philly for a while and am from the area, so it is a little easy for me to say. But both cities are incredibly walkable and easy to navigate.

Generally, lines and crowds really aren't a problem at major attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!