The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited that there is more than one vaccine coming up. As an ER nurse, I expect to be vaccinated by the end of the year. If there are multiple vaccines out and available, I'm hoping for some normalcy by next summer.

And I'm grateful for people like you.
Thank you for your service.
For what you do for those close to you, for those in your country, for humanity.
I appreciate you.

What happens when the predicted 40% of people decide they aren't getting the vaccine? Will there be some sort of stand-by line for those of us in lower risk categories to get the vaccine that the people in the upper risk categories turn down?

Ghaly was asked about what group teachers would be in today. He deflected the question and didn't answer. They should be at the front of the line so we can get the kids back in school IMHO - the sooner the better.

I think there are going to be lots of exclusions. Whether that’s exclusion from jobs or exclusions from the ability to travel to certain places. I think there will be consequences for those who don’t want to take it.

I think my job is ultimately going to require it but obviously only time will tell.

And I'm grateful for people like you.
Thank you for your service.
For what you do for those close to you, for those in your country, for humanity.
I appreciate you.
Thank you. That is really sweet of you. It's been a terrible year. But, on the plus side, I've worked through the whole pandemic and we're starting to feel like some normalcy is in sight.

I think there are going to be lots of exclusions. Whether that’s exclusion from jobs or exclusions from the ability to travel to certain places. I think there will be consequences for those who don’t want to take it.

I think my job is ultimately going to require it but obviously only time will tell.
It will be mandatory at my job. Most of my co-workers are glad to take it though. And, I've already heard that when Quantas begins flying internationally, flyers will have to show proof of vaccine to be allowed. I think we're going to see a lot of proof of vaccine for a long time.

It will be mandatory at my job. Most of my co-workers are glad to take it though. And, I've already heard that when Quantas begins flying internationally, flyers will have to show proof of vaccine to be allowed. I think we're going to see a lot of proof of vaccine for a long time.

I think most of mine want it as well. But I do know one who will moan and groan and kick his feet but I have little doubt he will line up. He’s not going to quit - everyone knows it - he will just complain for the next 15 years about it.

Thank you. That is really sweet of you. It's been a terrible year. But, on the plus side, I've worked through the whole pandemic and we're starting to feel like some normalcy is in sight.

You got it.
I'm just really grateful to nurses, doctors, front line during this pandemic.
My mom was a nurse too so I also have a soft spot for them.
Thankfully I haven't needed their care but many people's lives rely on them & when you preserve their lives you mean the world to them
Anyway, if we ever coincide on a DCL ship, I'd love to treat you and your companion(s) to a Palo brunch.
(I will soon post a list of my upcoming cruises in my sig - pls contact me if you sail in any of them)
Thanks again and all the best to you and yours. Happy Thanksgiving.

I just read an article from "Medpage Today" dated November 25, 2020 that said health care workers were indicating some hesitancy to take COVID vaccines. Following is a salient quote:

"...a report from the University of California Los Angeles released last week showed 66% of Los Angeles healthcare workers who responded to an online questionnaire said they would delay taking a vaccine.

The American Nurses Association said a third of its members do not intend to take the vaccine and another third are undecided.

Two-thirds of doctors in New Jersey said they would take the vaccine, but some contacted by the state said they "did not want to be in the first round, so they could wait and see if there are potential side effects," New Jersey Health Commissioner Judith Persichilli said during a Nov. 9 press briefing."

I wouldn't be surprised if a few un-named countries reverse engineer a successful vaccine as thier "break through vaccine".

To be honest though, I don't care. If that increases the vaccine supply and means people are vaccinated sooner, it is a plus.

A Singapore-led mRNA vaccine candidate is also showing positive Phase 1/2 results. They are expecting to start shipping it in early 2021 - though I don't know how they can do it in major markets without completing Phase 3 trials.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/27/sin...ine-candidate-on-track-for-2021-delivery.html
Or, maybe shipping =/= selling, and they just want the production and supply chain to get ready. No data yet on how many they can produce.

So are we thinking proof of vaccine will be mandatory for all cruise lines (after vaccines are widely available)?

So are we thinking proof of vaccine will be mandatory for all cruise lines (after vaccines are widely available)?

I sure hope so. It also comes down to what the islands are asking for.

My guess is some sort of health "Green card" that shows vaccine status, recent covid test, along with another test before boarding.

I highly doubt it - at least until it's widely available. The cruise lines are on walking on a very thin ice, and if they start filtering out for vaccines, it will dramatically reduce how many can sail in spring or even the summer.

I work in radiology in a Philadelphia hospital. Last week they announced that they are expecting to start administering a vaccine in December. Of course this assumes that they will be FDA approved at the Dec 10 meeting. Initially I was shocked that the hospital is not requiring it like they do for the flu shot. After chatting with our docs they feel it's good to make it voluntary since it hasn't had long term studies done. IIRC, NJ announced that priority will be first given to HCWs, then first responders, then essential workers. This would cover dh and ds23 who are both essential. Ds20 will likely be in with the general population unless factory workers are given any priority. I will be very relieved when my father gets it.

Anyway, this is such great news. I am almost crying with relief that this nightmare might soon have an end in sight.
:grouphug: For now all we can do is hope and pray the FDA has all the evidence they need to give approval.

We already moved our Feb WBPC cruise to 2022 and I don't plan to move it back but we still have a 4 nt quickie booked for May. There is a chance this might happen! :woohoo:
I soooo need a day at CC. :sail::beach:

Apparently according to UK health authorities the Pfizer one becomes unstable when moved 4 times. We have a lot ordered but because of this, they are only initially using it in hospitals and not sending to care homes, as it’s already been moved 3 times by the time it gets to the hospitals. This is being rolled out to medical staff here in 10 days allegedly.

I just read an article from "Medpage Today" dated November 25, 2020 that said health care workers were indicating some hesitancy to take COVID vaccines. Following is a salient quote:

"...a report from the University of California Los Angeles released last week showed 66% of Los Angeles healthcare workers who responded to an online questionnaire said they would delay taking a vaccine.

The American Nurses Association said a third of its members do not intend to take the vaccine and another third are undecided.

Two-thirds of doctors in New Jersey said they would take the vaccine, but some contacted by the state said they "did not want to be in the first round, so they could wait and see if there are potential side effects," New Jersey Health Commissioner Judith Persichilli said during a Nov. 9 press briefing."

based on a completely unscientific anecdotal survey of my doctor friends, there are many who are skeptical about the long-term safety.
Though personally, i think they're crazy. This new method is actually much safer than standard vaccines.

It will be interesting to see if the authorities make it mandatory for medical staff here (in Israel).

There is a rollout plan here, so assuming pfizer and moderna are actually approved, we have an idea of when we'll be vaccinated (depending on which group we belong to, e.g. medical staff, high risk, elderly, essential workers, teachers, pregnant women, everyone else. That's in fact the order of priority in the plan here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!