The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, according to the CDC vaccine priorities, those 70+ are scheduled to receive vaccines after healthcare workers, after those in group living situations, and after those with underlying health conditions (asthma, obesity, etc). And regardless, it seems unlikely that very many people will be getting a vaccine in December.
I’m curious when I would get it. 32 years old with Lupus( but I’m probably at bottom of the line for autoimmune health since I’m stable for most part.

I’m curious when I would get it. 32 years old with Lupus( but I’m probably at bottom of the line for autoimmune health since I’m stable for most part.
That really depends on the roll-out plans within your state. Earlier this fall each state was tasked earlier with creating a plan for vaccine distribution. Within my state it looks like this:
  • high risk health workers and first responders
  • people with underlying conditions that put them at significantly higher risk; and older adults living in congregate/overcrowded conditions
  • K-12 teachers, school staff, childcare workers; critical workers in high risk settings; people with underlying conditions that put them at moderately higher risk; people in homeless shelters and those living in group homes for people with disabilities; people in prisons and staff at such facilities; and all older adults not otherwise included above
  • young adults; children; and workers in industries/occupations critical to the functioning of society not otherwise included above
  • all other individuals
I also recommend checking with your medical provider if he/she considers you "high risk" or "moderate risk." Then exactly "when" the vaccine is available will largely depend on production and distribution. But I would stay in contact with your medical provider.

That really depends on the roll-out plans within your state. Earlier this fall each state was tasked earlier with creating a plan for vaccine distribution. Within my state it looks like this:
  • people with underlying conditions that put them at significantly higher risk; and older adults living in congregate/overcrowded conditions
  • K-12 teachers, school staff, childcare workers; critical workers in high risk settings; people with underlying conditions that put them at moderately higher risk; people in homeless shelters and those living in group homes for people with disabilities; people in prisons and staff at such facilities; and all older adults not otherwise included above
  • young adults; children; and workers in industries/occupations critical to the functioning of society not otherwise included above
  • all other individuals
I also recommend checking with your medical provider if he/she considers you "high risk" or "moderate risk." Then exactly "when" the vaccine is available will largely depend on production and distribution. But I would stay in contact with your medical provider.
have they put timelines with that rollout plan yet?
where i live, they've put out an estimated timeline:
stage 1 - first half of 2021: medical workers, high risk people, elderly
stage 2 - second half of 2021: essential workers, teachers, pregnant women
stage 3 - unknown timeline: everyone else

So, some info on timeline.

Canada has ordered 20 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine with option for 56 million more doses. Canada has ordered 20 million doses of the Moderna vaccine; not sure what our option is on that one. Canada's population is about 37.6 million, province of Ontario about 14.6 of that.

Today we learned some of the timeline of when we can expect to receive doses and how many in Canada: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-begin-receiving-covid-19-180826564.html

Ontario's health minister says Canada expects to begin receiving millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccines early in the new year.

Christine Elliott says the country is set to get four million doses of the Pfizer vaccine between January and March as well as two million doses of Moderna’s vaccine.

She said in question period that 1.6 million doses of the Pfizer and 800,000 of the Moderna vaccines are destined for Ontario.

Our PIF for our August 2021 Alaska cruise is April 2021. Our family has made the decision that we will not sail unless we are vaccinated. Looks like the cruise will be getting moved to 2022.

SW

Pfizer has updated its results today. Vaccine now seems to be 95% effective:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/health/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-safety/index.html
"The company counted 170 cases of coronavirus infection among volunteers who took part in the trial. It said 162 infections were in people who got placebo, or plain saline shots, while eight cases were in participants who got the actual vaccine. That works out to an efficacy of 95%, Pfizer said. "

• all other individuals

good to know as of now I'm thinking all other individuals category, though I will be talking to my Rhemy in December during 3 month regular appointment to see what she thinks at least or where she'd put me

I’m thinking your between
• nursing home healthcare worker (they are for sure getting FIRST from what I’ve read)
• hospital staff and emergency workers
(Now starts to get fuzzy)
• highest risk (over 60 with risk)
• high risk all ages (that’s you)
• general population
It’s going to be up to each state really. So that’s going to be a nightmare for some.
Good health and wise political disbursement plan by you state.

I’m thinking your between
• nursing home healthcare worker (they are for sure getting FIRST from what I’ve read)
• hospital staff and emergency workers
(Now starts to get fuzzy)
• highest risk (over 60 with risk)
• high risk all ages (that’s you)
• general population
It’s going to be up to each state really. So that’s going to be a nightmare for some.
Good health and wise political disbursement plan by you state.
This is basically what I think either just before general population or when general start. I’m fine with that. No complaining here

Apparently, they tried two different dosing regimens. One clocked in at 90% effective, and they might explore it more closely. I'm not sure if they have enough data yet to concentrate on that regimen - particularly when billions of doses are involved.

“Excitingly, we’ve found that one of our dosing regimens may be around 90% effective and if this dosing regime is used, more people could be vaccinated with planned vaccine supply.”

The Russian vaccine news is also trickling in. The efficacy is reportedly 95% after a trial of 19,000 participants - though you can imagine the motivation to print that kind of number after Pfizer/Moderna.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ta-on-sputnik-covid-vaccine-shows-95-efficacy
If you can believe the numbers, they have an earful for AstraZeneca:

"Sputnik V is happy to share one of its two human adenoviral vectors with AstraZeneca to increase the efficacy of AstraZeneca vaccine. Using two different vectors for two vaccine shots will result in higher efficacy than using the same vector for two shots."

Looks like they can produce about a billion doses next year.

What happens when the predicted 40% of people decide they aren't getting the vaccine? Will there be some sort of stand-by line for those of us in lower risk categories to get the vaccine that the people in the upper risk categories turn down?

Ghaly was asked about what group teachers would be in today. He deflected the question and didn't answer. They should be at the front of the line so we can get the kids back in school IMHO - the sooner the better.

Apparently, they tried two different dosing regimens. One clocked in at 90% effective, and they might explore it more closely. I'm not sure if they have enough data yet to concentrate on that regimen - particularly when billions of doses are involved.

“Excitingly, we’ve found that one of our dosing regimens may be around 90% effective and if this dosing regime is used, more people could be vaccinated with planned vaccine supply.”
That was discovered accidentally. Part of the trial group was accidentally dosed 1/2 a dose for the first round. The efficacy went from 70% to +90% compared to the people getting 2 full doses. That spreads out the supply, plus that's the vaccine that can be stored next to the milk in the fridge. Good news all around!

Texas rolled out their vaccine distribution plan. As a teacher I’m up in round two to get the vaccine. I won’t be getting it and a lot of the teachers I know won’t be either. I’m interested to see how many actually get the vaccine that are able to do so from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter