Pets - options for a) pet care/pet sitting or b) activities we can enjoy with pet (in Orlando/Lake Buena Vista/Central FL)

seema

Mouseketeer
Ou 27 yr old daughter will be joining us in Orlando later this week. She will be coming with her dog.

I know that the major theme parks (including Disney Springs and Universal City Walk) do not allow pets.

What are our options for pet care if we want to go to one of the 3 major theme parks?

what activities can we enjoy (a small < 20 lb) with our dog in the Orlando area.
Are there any areas at the 3 theme park sites we can walk around or enjoy with our dog

Our timeshare ( Westgate Lakes and Spa) resort does allow pets for a fee.
Our car rental company (Avis) does allow pets for a fee.

Please read reviews from different sources if you decide to board the dogs. Make sure to ask to see photos of where the dogs will be sleeping. Do they get playtime? how long?How often are they let out to go potty?. Ect.

I see best friends recommend constantly on these boards and IMO they are terrible.
Just because they are close to Disney doesn’t mean they are of Disney quality.
The basic sleeping quarters are basically a low budget state run doggy prison and even the luxury villas with a tv and camera are the cushy federal prison version. There has to be a better option.

Good luck!

Please read reviews from different sources if you decide to board the dogs. Make sure to ask to see photos of where the dogs will be sleeping. Do they get playtime? how long?How often are they let out to go potty?. Ect.

I see best friends recommend constantly on these boards and IMO they are terrible.
The basic sleeping quarters are basically a low budget state run doggy prison and even the luxury villas with a tv and camera are the cushy federal prison version. There has to be a better option.

Good luck!
My dog stayed here and I was quite disappointed. It was very difficult to get any photos or updates on my dog. I am heading to WDW this Christmas and worried about leaving my dog here again. Are there better options?

I researched quite a bit and found Rover dog boarding to be legitimate and a great option. Owners post their private home setting or some can come to you. We found a lovely couple in Four Corners (very close to WDW). Once you identify location,/dates, you are provided several options and then you can see references, and learn about their history of caring for pets before opening dialogue. Then you can start communicating with them to see if it is a good fit. Some offer video chat to introduce each other. We thought this was an excellent choice for our dog who would not do well in a kennel setting. Our plans changed, but we would have booked in a heartbeat. FYI, our son in Texas found someone to stay in their home also with Rover, and it was a perfect match. I do hope I am allowed to name this site because it can help others when leaving their beloved pet in someone else's care.

Last edited:

Good luck!

It sounds like she's just needing a daycare situation and not full boarding since their resort allows pets.

Now is not the time to be testing out doggy day cares in a strange place. I would leave my fur baby at home with my trusted boarding facility. I will be at peace knowing they are getting great care and they will be happy to be there. We both will get a break.

Now is not the time to be testing out doggy day cares in a strange place. I would leave my fur baby at home with my trusted boarding facility. I will be at peace knowing they are getting great care and they will be happy to be there. We both will get a break.

You do realize people travel with their pets and just need daycare while they are in the parks right? We are trying to help here with well thought out, and well researched options.

We also live our dog at home if we need to somewhere for a day and can't take her with us.

We have great neighbors who love dogs and who are kind to look after our dog when needed.
In case they can't do this, we leave our dog at a pet care facility, we found several good ones via https://petsylife.com/. We did it twice without any issues.

Last edited:
My dog stayed here and I was quite disappointed. It was very difficult to get any photos or updates on my dog. I am heading to WDW this Christmas and worried about leaving my dog here again. Are there better options?
I’m curious when your dogs stay was. We previously boarded our dog many times before the pandemic at Best Friends and got periodic picture and email updates. We also visited most everyday for play time with her. Then we boarded her summer 2023 and got no pictures or updates. Not even a welcome picture on the tv in the check in area. We also didn’t visit to play often because it was so terribly hot. I didn’t complain because they were so busy and I had gotten our dog in last minute. When we got home I checked the website to see what was included, and my old receipts, and noticed boarding price with dvc discount had stayed about the same price but email & picture were now an extra charge. So that was on me for booking the services I usually did and expecting it to stay the same.
The only better option I’ve found is to book a hotel where our dog can stay with us at night and we can board her if we have a busy park day planned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter