Pet pep talks?

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
It's been almost three years since I've been to Disneyland (Oct/Nov 2019). Seems like ages ago and yesterday all in one!

When we went last, we were in a transitory stage after our sweet girl of 17 had passed (5 years with DH alone, 12 years together). Vacations were easy, and quite frankly welcomed
at that point. The house felt empty.

During the pandemic I started feeding feral kitties frequenting our backyard. Well, a friendly guy ended up winning my heart, and now it seems I have another cat. But wait, there's more! (Lol) Two months later another kitty saw us through the window and wanted in. Yeah, now I have two. (Side note: I TNR -- I'm not just feeding them and leaving it at that)

So we are planning on going to Disneyland in early November of this year and part of me is freaking out. My Mom (bless her) has offered to stay with my guys while we are away but I'm still freaked out about it. Both of my kitties are boys and every now and then they can brawl, but we've had pets our whole lives, so she knows what to do to break it up.

Rationally, I know it'll be okay, but I need a pep talk. I just need reassurance! Anyone willing to share their pet fears that were unfounded? Or just success stories with pets that ended up loving (or tolerating) your time away?

Last edited:
Okay........you're going to think I'm a nut. Ok, yeah, I guess that would be a valid assessment, but to your point--first, I ALWAYS worry about my cats, and they are ALWAYS just fine. Not feral, but both were shelter rescues.

The part that makes me wince just a bit to admit is that I worry about my fish and crawdads when I'm away. You see, I have a creek in my backyard. During the 2 years of Covid lockdown, I spent so much time sitting on the steps that go into the creek that I began to take note of the goings-on in great detail. I'll skip the many types of fauna I took notes on to concentrate on my 2 faves, "my" fish and "my" crawdads.

I initially had a scientific curiosity about both, but I found that I actually developed this sort of bond with them. I learned their habits, their quirks, and how they survived. I began to give them tidbits and looked up what they like to eat. I just finished my 3rd summer of twice-per-day visits. They know me and, of course, are happy to eat the things I bring for them. So I worry whenever I'm gone for any extended trip during the summer. Life in a creek is harsh and I'm very aware of that. I have some videos of "my" fish and crawdads hanging out with me.

We left our pups alone for almost 2 days by themselves once. They keep each other company and had extra plates of food and water. Any other time we've have a friend come check on them once a day.
They were just fine, a pet does not require 24hr supervision. I wouldn't worry at all, specially if your mom even offered to stay over. The kitties might miss you but it will be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter