Permit Filed: "Project S" at Epcot

This argument has been going on for years, but let's face the facts...Epcot is long gone from the "showcase of the future / no characters allowed" and is now more along the lines of "entertainment with a light lesson". What's left in Epcot that remotely feels educational. Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land? Maybe some portions of The Seas. That's about it. Same argument with "Oh No - They put Frozen in Norway!" Sure, only after EVERY OTHER LAND has a character meet in it.

I make this sound like I have an issue with these changes. I really don't, it is what it is. However, if you are complaining about it NOW - you are 20 years late to the party.

Ohhhh, my bad. So Space is still a viable option.

I don't know why they have to give such a cryptic name for the entrance and walkways, etc. Wouldn't it be more clear if they said what it is? I'm sure Universal isn't looking through the bushes, wondering what they are doing with the goofy faces monument.

Companies seem to do that for everything - for films too (I know the Han Solo movie is being called Project Red Cup ... get it, the Red "Solo" Cup)

This argument has been going on for years, but let's face the facts...Epcot is long gone from the "showcase of the future / no characters allowed" and is now more along the lines of "entertainment with a light lesson". What's left in Epcot that remotely feels educational. Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land? Maybe some portions of The Seas. That's about it. Same argument with "Oh No - They put Frozen in Norway!" Sure, only after EVERY OTHER LAND has a character meet in it.

I make this sound like I have an issue with these changes. I really don't, it is what it is. However, if you are complaining about it NOW - you are 20 years late to the party.
The characters are encroaching because of that "futuristic Idea" has left with innoventions. Disney kind of let it die off due to not updating their technology as tech evolved. NOTHING says they cant bring it back. I look forward to the future. But staying with the educational trend would be best IMO, at least something different from what kids are learning in school these days. I trust disney that they can make SOMETHING viable.

The characters are encroaching because of that "futuristic Idea" has left with innoventions. Disney kind of let it die off due to not updating their technology as tech evolved. NOTHING says they cant bring it back. I look forward to the future. But staying with the educational trend would be best IMO, at least something different from what kids are learning in school these days. I trust disney that they can make SOMETHING viable.

The real challenge I always see with EPCOT and Future World specifically is that it was built around the World's Fair model where every exhibit had a corporate sponsor - but after the financial crisis companies didn't have the fund to keep dumping into the pavilions to keep the technology updated and Disney couldn't justify to fully cover it themselves

So they need a new model and people like attractions around IPs and that sells souvenirs and makes the IP more attractive, etc.

The real challenge I always see with EPCOT and Future World specifically is that it was built around the World's Fair model where every exhibit had a corporate sponsor - but after the financial crisis companies didn't have the fund to keep dumping into the pavilions to keep the technology updated and Disney couldn't justify to fully cover it themselves

So they need a new model and people like attractions around IPs and that sells souvenirs and makes the IP more attractive, etc.
True, you dont see alot of "sponsored by" any more with alot of attractions. Alot of that died out, which is good i suppose. Dont need mcdonalds on my "Dinosaur ride" :rotfl:

I'm alright with IP's, I just think it should be relevant to the park its in. Wall-E, Ratatouille and Mary Poppins make perfect sense in Epcot. One is about the future and the other 2 showcase their countries. But I don't think Guardians and Frozen does either. Neither fits into the overall theme of Epcot as well. Both feel like they should have gone in another park, like Hollywood (Gotg) or Magic Kingdom (Frozen).

Guardians is about a boy who was abducted in the 80's by aliens. Their is nothing mentioned about the future in either of its movies. And Frozen is a story about two princesses who live in a fictional town. Arendelle is not a place you can visit in real life, unlike every other pavilion.

I'm alright with IP's, I just think it should be relevant to the park its in. Wall-E, Ratatouille and Mary Poppins make perfect sense in Epcot. One is about the future and the other 2 showcase their countries. But I don't think Guardians and Frozen does either. Neither fits into the overall theme of Epcot as well. Both feel like they should have gone in another park, like Hollywood (Gotg) or Magic Kingdom (Frozen).

Guardians is about a boy who was abducted in the 80's by aliens. Their is nothing mentioned about the future in either of its movies. And Frozen is a story about two princesses who live in a fictional town. Arendelle is not a place you can visit in real life, unlike every other pavilion.

I fully agree - I guess they tried to make the Frozen stuff fit by having their Summer Haus be in Norway and authentic to Norwegian architecture, but not ideal. I am all for the idea of using something fun and relevant to draw someone in so that they explore and learn about something new (so the Gran Fiesta Tour or even the Agent P stuff)

I think something like Big Hero 6 could wok in Future World and have the queue be the work shop and then a ride that shows off new technology and stuff

Not if it's some ill advised comic book overlay. Still don't want the soul of Epcot sacrificed by this regime anymore than it already has...its gone far enough already.
Im with you but the neglect it's received (ok in future world) has reached critical mass

Everytime someone brings up "no characters in Epcot" I want to post this:

3013874_orig.jpg

Everytime someone brings up "no characters in Epcot" I want to post this:

3013874_orig.jpg

I don't know who you're referring to, but as many of us have said we don't mind the characters. We just think they should be better themed after the parks, lands or pavilions.

As you can tell by the characters in the photo they are wearing futuristic outfits. Thus they fit with futureworld. Plus these are characters being used for an event, not an attraction.

I think having characters like that is okay but having all the attractions based around Disney films isn't exactly what Epcot was meant to be.

I think we're past that point.

I don't know who you're referring to, but as many of us have said we don't mind the characters. We just think they should be better themed after the parks, lands or pavilions.

As you can tell by the characters in the photo they are wearing futuristic outfits. Thus they fit with futureworld. Plus these are characters being used for an event, not an attraction.

So how are Elsa and Ana not okay for Norway? Just because it's Arendale? A fake version of Norwegian countries??? Sounds like they fit into your criteria to me.

Mickey and Friends were used for all sorts of stuff in the early years (ie: shows like Splashtacular), when they figured out, Figment couldn't hold the park up on his own. Or those creepy big headed country characters. I still shudder when I think about those things headed my direction for a photo op.

IPs are easily identifiable for customers. It's kind of a no brainer at this point for a park that no one gets anymore, because it's been so dumbed down.

This is in no way stating that I want GoG in Epcot. That's a terrible IP inclusion.

So how are Elsa and Ana not okay for Norway? Just because it's Arendale? A fake version of Norwegian countries??? Sounds like they fit into your criteria to me.

Mickey and Friends were used for all sorts of stuff in the early years (ie: shows like Splashtacular), when they figured out, Figment couldn't hold the park up on his own. Or those creepy big headed country characters. I still shudder when I think about those things headed my direction for a photo op.

IPs are easily identifiable for customers. It's kind of a no brainer at this point for a park that no one gets anymore, because it's been so dumbed down.

This is in no way stating that I want GoG in Epcot. That's a terrible IP inclusion.

haha, I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but you're making me laugh. The whole Norway pavilion is patterned after a fictional town and you're wondering why people dislike it. I'd be alright with Anna and Elsa being in the pavilion, if they didn't totally toss the real Norway in the nearest trash can. The World Showcase is supposed to be about the countries and their customs and foods, etc.

What are they teaching us in Arendelle, how to build a snowman? It should have been built in the Magic Kingdom with the other fictional lands. If you had your way you would have all the countries knocked down and replaced by their fictional counterparts.

I know it's venturing off topic, but I like the characters being used when incorporated to the surroundings. I think Mulan in China is great, same with most of the characters around WS. I don't even have a huge problem with Norway (though I do wish the Viking area stayed as opposed to the Frozen change). It's a quick and easy way for parents to enjoy Epcot while still having some things to do for kids. That said, I'm not a fan at all of eliminating the education aspect of Epcot (specifically Future World) just for generic IP. I'm still holding out whatever slim hope there is that they use IP to enhance educational aspects (though I'm not a GoG fan at all, so that won't excite me either way).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter