Permanent Tooth Won't Come Down

GotLabradors

Missing Mr. Toad
Last year my 9 y.o. son had surgery to remove an extra tooth and 3 baby teeth. Now it's been a year and one of his permanent front teeth has yet to erupt from the gum and looks like it doesn't have the space even it wanted to.

Have any of you or your children dealt with this and what kind of procedure(s) had to be done to finally get it fixed?

My daughter had a tooth that didn't have room to drop into. Braces solved the problem. Once there was room it came in fast.

Last year my 9 y.o. son had surgery to remove an extra tooth and 3 baby teeth. Now it's been a year and one of his permanent front teeth has yet to erupt from the gum and looks like it doesn't have the space even it wanted to.

Have any of you or your children erth. Edealt with this and what kind of procedure(s) had to be done to finally get it fixed?

Yes, my older daughter never lost her top two front teeth. She ended up having 5 per ment front teeth up in her gum. They pulled the baby teeth and than went in and pulled the 3 impacted front teeth. After she was healed braces went on and another surgery to go in and put brackets and chains on the two font and attached them to the braces. Over time the dentist would tighten then chain. It is a long process because it had to come down slow so they don't pull the permanent teeth out. It has not been a fun journey.

We too have a tooth that is not moving, first surgery to get the baby tooth out of the way. Now ortho appt every two weeks, that tooth has a bracket and a chain that the ortho tightens each visit.

MY oldest did not loose her baby teeth had to have them all pulled.

Then did not cut permnament teeth either

Ended up having the gum cut away from teeth to expose them...all of them at one time. DD was 13 at the time an must not have felt pain like most of us....over the next 24 hours she ate a 1 lb bag of pretzel rods.

Then DD still did not grow teeth an yes she had chains an pulleys in her mouth pulling upper teeth down lower teeth up....very long process.

After more than 10 yrs of going to orthodontist DD went on her 18th birthday had everything taken off. By some miracle her teeth has stayed in place better than her other 2 sisters who did the full ortho treatment an the retainers etc.

I am starting to worry a tiny bit about these kind of problems with my 6 and a half year old. She hasn't lost any teeth yet and none of her baby teeth are even the slightest bit loose. She has a fused tooth on the bottom and her teeth on the bottom seem to be especially tight. I hope we don't end up with pulled baby teeth and chains to pull down the adult teeth.

My daughter was in palate expanders by the end of first grade because her teeth didn't have enough room to come down, her X-ray was horrifying! Never had to have any teeth pulled since the expander let the permanent teeth shift to come down.

My mouth was too small for all of my adult teeth. It would have been a mess if we tried to let nature take its course so I had multiple teeth pulled (both baby and adults) and oral surgery to remove a couple of adult teeth that had nowhere to go. Then I had multiple years of braces.

My son had to have his gum opened up right where the tooth was waiting underneath. It was a short, pretty easy procedure once he was numbed up, which is never a fun process. His tooth dropped down after that. This was after having his baby tooth pulled from that space.

I had an eye tooth that wouldn't come down, but already had braces on. They cut a piece of the gum away in order to attach a bracket & pull it down via the braces.

DD just had a tooth pulled this week because it wasn't loosening on it's own and the adult tooth was already in.

I had that happen and they put braces on those teeth and it came in. Of course it came in backwards! I will forget about it until I go to a new dentist and they always tell me they have never seen it happen before!

Two different scenarios here.

DS had the worst teeth. Some stuck in the gums, some coming out in front of or behind the baby teeth which were not budging. A complete mess we called his shark teeth. He had teeth pulled, palate expander and braces. No chains necessary once they made room for the teeth, but we got started early at about age 9. He's finishing with braces now (13) and his teeth look great.

DD had one molar that was not coming down. We gave it time, but it wasn't budging. At 13 or so, we took her to see an oral surgeon. She had an odontoma blocking the tooth. Had oral surgery to remove it (along with her one wisdom tooth bud, two birds, one stone).
Followed up with braces and chain (just on the top set of teeth) to get the molar to move into place. She only had one crooked tooth and the molar that needed to shift into place; so, she didn't have to have the braces very long at all. About a year.

I am starting to worry a tiny bit about these kind of problems with my 6 and a half year old. She hasn't lost any teeth yet and none of her baby teeth are even the slightest bit loose. She has a fused tooth on the bottom and her teeth on the bottom seem to be especially tight. I hope we don't end up with pulled baby teeth and chains to pull down the adult teeth.

This is how we started. My DS lost his bottom baby teeth fine. However, he lost no top teeth. X-rays last year showed an extra tooth jamming everything up. He had surgery to remove the extra, which looked like a huge tusk, and a couple of baby teeth. However, one of the front teeth has now been crowded out by all the other teeth coming down. He has a dentist appointment in a couple of weeks. I guess we will either be back at the oral surgeon's office or headed to the orthodontist's office.

Sometimes they just aren't ready. My 17 yo has had his braces off for almost a year, and his 12 year molars are just now erupting. No harm, he is still in his retainers. I myself was 24 years old before one of my 12 year molars came in! We are a slow family I guess. Nature usually resolves things like that if you will be patient.

Sometimes they just aren't ready. My 17 yo has had his braces off for almost a year, and his 12 year molars are just now erupting. No harm, he is still in his retainers. I myself was 24 years old before one of my 12 year molars came in! We are a slow family I guess. Nature usually resolves things like that if you will be patient.

It's one of his front teeth. The teeth on either side of it are coming in at angles that are essentially choking off the front tooth. I'm thinking nature is going to need a little help with this one.

Considering I am in my 40's with one baby tooth still in- It might be a while. Braces were put on that baby tooth and all- it never budged!

When I go to the dentist now, that is one of the things they always say "Hey, you still have a baby tooth!"-- I'm like - I know!

My dd was 14 before her last (non molar) tooth came down. Sometimes you just need to be patient and let nature do it's work. 9/10 is way to early to worry about perm teeth, imho.

Considering I am in my 40's with one baby tooth still in- It might be a while. Braces were put on that baby tooth and all- it never budged! When I go to the dentist now, that is one of the things they always say "Hey, you still have a baby tooth!"-- I'm like - I know!

They never pulled it? Did it cause any problems with the alignment of your adult teeth?

Same here. My daughter had 2 teeth pulled in the very front. it’s been 3 years now and there’s not even a sign of the adult teeth coming in. I’ve been very worried about this but she will be getting braces, and we think this will solve the problem even though there is some room for them to grow out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!