Perfect Day at Coco Cay Report

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
(I uploaded pictures below but please let me know if you can't see them, and the best way to upload pictures from a MacBook)

This was my first cruise (4 nights/ Miami/ Navigator of the Seas) and we had a balcony room. I did not do as much research as I probably could have.

So we pull up, and the one half of Coco Cay looks very cool, and looks like a lot of fun. Since we have a longer WDW trip in August, the budget for this cruise was modest so we did not book any excursions or anything.

I was mostly looking forward to the nature trail and isolated beach but was quite dismayed to see that the forest is all gone and replaced with industrial buildings and similar. You think I would have expected this when I did not see that part of the island on any maps! It really makes the island look terrible from the boat.

We got off as soon as the gang plank opened at 8am and headed right to South Beach. All throughout the island these was a massive amount of seating and it never felt in any way crowded. South Beach had lots of small fish, large stingrays and a few sharks swimming along. The water stays shallow for a while, so we walked out to about waist deep and watched the animals swim around. I tried following the one shark for a bit, but it swam away real fast. It seemed harmless enough. I made every effort to avoid getting close to the stingrays!

There were chickens and trees, but besides the wildlife in the water, the island did feel somewhat artificial. We also went to the Chill Island section and did some snorkeling. Masks and flippers are $37 for the day. I have been snorkeling one other time in St. Lucia, and it was fun. They had a partial ship wreck with cannons with lots of fish (in particular snapper). There were other fish swimming around as you got out there. Of note, the plane wreck is passed the rope line as it was deemed too far to swim to. I tried to swim there anyway, and my efforts were not appreciated by the staff. So, it pales in comparison to St. Lucia snorkeling, but it was worth it, and the water gets real cold, so it’s a great way to cool down.

My sister and I eat early, so we swam at harbor beach, and then ate at Captain Jacks. Harbour Beach appears to be have been blasted recently and has nice clear water. Captain Jacks was very tasty with typical hamburger, hot dogs, sandwiches, tacos, ect. I did receive a request to take pictures of food and totally forgot. But it was very good. Throughout the island, they have machines with delicious juices, and I particularly enjoyed the mango. It was a nice refreshing treat. After lunch, we went back to South Beach and went in the water some more and read a little bit. Every trip I read a biography of someone from Old Hollywood and this trip featured the screens first Latin lover, Rudolph Valentino!

There is one unfortunate side note, which I am only sharing because people in this forum seem very respectful and pleasant. Perhaps all these cruises keep yous guys relaxed? But about two weeks before the cruise I got these pustules on the back of my head, all down the backside of my head, and was taking several strong antibiotics which made me extremely photosensitive. I did ask the doctor if it was okay to be on a cruise ship and she said yes, especially since I had no fever, and they were clearing up nicely. I always wore a hat, but I burnt up like you wouldn’t believe. I drenched myself in sunscreen about every hour and it was still bad. This is relevant to this, as the lack of real good shade became a problem, and I had to head back at about one. I could just feel anything in the sun really cooking!! (Sorry if this report took a weird turn)

So, we did a little more snorkeling, grabbed a couple of burgers at the Chill Grill and headed back to the ship at about 1pm. The photosensitivity issue as well as nausea hampered enjoyment throughout the cruise, and we would have stayed later if not for that.

Overall, I absolutely loved Coco Cay and it was a Perfect Day. I would like to go on a cruise which includes this stop again. The section where the jungle was destroyed made the island look really artificial from the ship. But Coco Cay is gorgeous from the ground. There is a good amount of wildlife in the sea and ample seating throughout the island. Service was great, and staff was ample throughout. Real intense shade seems very limited, which was a shame. Of course there were plenty of umbrellas, and perhaps they just didn't do it for me. I get the impression that many of the plants are new and will grow in over time (much like Disneyland upon opening). I highly recommend including this in your upcoming cruise.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!! Pictures are attached below.

59813131_2749537528451327_836640817304043520_n.jpg

60071207_2749537581784655_6552590471158300672_n.jpg

60332264_2749537635117983_9204885011554107392_n.jpg

59920985_2749537288451351_3327748181428535296_n.jpg

60467567_2749537335118013_1482475805517807616_n.jpg

59879288_2749641338440946_2658074432504856576_o.jpg

60188301_10218721622334773_8733868150203875328_n.jpg

59837458_10218719323437302_6212824606328225792_n.jpg

60292202_10218719323317299_6458805079951540224_n.jpg

59541881_10218719322637282_5019848103574896640_n.jpg

59713601_10218718103726810_7435445153747173376_n.jpg

Attachments

• coco10.jpg
    coco10.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 39
  • coco11.jpg
    coco11.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Great stuff!

It did seem from the pictures that shade is at a premium at coco Cay around the beaches. I'm sure that if I dug a bit deeper I'd find that they have umbrellas for rent.

Were there any warnings/recommendations with regards to the stingrays and sharks?

Finally, did you pass by any of the snack stations (not the main meal areas) I've heard about on the island? What do they serve?

Great stuff!

It did seem from the pictures that shade is at a premium at coco Cay around the beaches. I'm sure that if I dug a bit deeper I'd find that they have umbrellas for rent.

Were there any warnings/recommendations with regards to the stingrays and sharks?

Finally, did you pass by any of the snack stations (not the main meal areas) I've heard about on the island? What do they serve?

Thank You!

I believe you are correct about the umbrellas. I remember them having real big thick ones rolled up near the kayak station.

There were absolutely no signs of any kind which I found surprising. My sister loves the Keys and Bahamas so she knew they were basically harmless nurse sharks (I took her word for it). But the rays bury in the sand (as in the picture). They really should have something.

We did see the snack shacks and take a look (I smelled funnel cake), and it looks like they had some pretty good stuff, including mozzarella sticks. I think thy also had some salads. It looked like a great option and the food looked fresh and smelled great.

Great report. That's a bit scary with sting rays and sharks.:scared1: When we were there last summer we heard of jelly fish too. We didn't end up seeing any but it did scare me a bit (as we have kids) and purchased jelly fish sunscreen (not sure if it works). We did hear though of a stingray and shark.

Have a feeling our kids will want to spend tine in the pool when not at the waterpark as it looks lovely.
Thanks for the review.

I posted a few more below. I am glad people are enjoying hearing about it! In the first pic I am looking for my shark friend but had no luck.

There nothing special but gives you an idea of the island.

59867689_2749537411784672_82706222419017728_n.jpg

59986253_2749537471784666_4776878749918429184_n.jpg

60027948_2749642431774170_9186708203151294464_o.jpg

60017500_2749637915107955_7986422645312716800_o.jpg

Great stuff!

There are loads of umbrellas piled up at various points along the beaches and if you ask they'll put them up for you where you want them. You dont have to rent them, they're just there.

There are signs up every so often along the beach with all the warnings on (similar to the ones on castaway). I meant to take a photo because some of them were a little funny (keep off the rocks - save the rock climbing for the ship), but apparently I didn't ...

There are loads of umbrellas piled up at various points along the beaches and if you ask they'll put them up for you where you want them. You dont have to rent them, they're just there.

There are signs up every so often along the beach with all the warnings on (similar to the ones on castaway). I meant to take a photo because some of them were a little funny (keep off the rocks - save the rock climbing for the ship), but apparently I didn't ...
Cool. I remember loungers being plentiful at Labadee but didn't remember if umbrellas were available as we found shade under some trees.

And since I haven't been to Coco Cay I'd assumed it would be similar.

Cool. I remember loungers being plentiful at Labadee but didn't remember if umbrellas were available as we found shade under some trees.

And since I haven't been to Coco Cay I'd assumed it would be similar.

Tbf they were kind of hidden and I only noticed because someone was taking one and they were big rainbow ones. If I hadn't of seen them with it I probably wouldn't have known they were there...

I was just there, got off Navigator on Monday. The mozzarella sticks at the snack shack were good (not great, but definitely a lot better than I was expecting them to be). There was also a Greek salad on the menu, which looked good but I didn’t get. I did get the caramel brownie. I was excited thinking it was going to be warm (it took longer to get than the mozzarella sticks), but it wasn’t. But it tasted good and had lots of caramel on it.
As for shade - I hate being in the sun. Before my husband went snorkeling he helped me drag a lounge chair into the shade. Unfortunately the only shady area in that part (by the floating bar) is where the smoking section is. Thankfully there weren’t too many smokers at that time so it wasn’t a huge issue.
My big disappointment is there is nowhere to run. Since they took the trails away, we just stuck with doing the paved loop around the main area. It has a few areas with cover so it was nice to get shade while running. But it would have been nice to run in an area that isn’t as crowded.
I’m amazed how different the island looks from when we were there six months ago. They did a lot of work in that short time.

So are all the slides and everything free? And the food? I thought I had seen some complaints that you had to pay for lots of things on the island.

So are all the slides and everything free? And the food? I thought I had seen some complaints that you had to pay for lots of things on the island.

I appreciate you brining up cost. I edited to include the snorkeling and flippers was $37 for the day, which I thought was a total rip off.

The slides and things are not included. Three complimentary food places are well located on the island, and have more then enough options (in my opinion).

Its a shame the one half with the forest was demolished because it looks like it had a gorgeous walking trail which was of course included.

I appreciate you brining up cost. I edited to include the snorkeling and flippers was $37 for the day, which I thought was a total rip off.

The slides and things are not included. Three complimentary food places are well located on the island, and have more then enough options (in my opinion).

Its a shame the one half with the forest was demolished because it looks like it had a gorgeous walking trail which was of course included.
I thought some of the slides were free, but the water park required a pass? We are still figuring out what we want to do. There only looks to be a full day water park pass right now. I'd love to do half day at the water park and then spend time snorkeling.

I thought some of the slides were free, but the water park required a pass? We are still figuring out what we want to do. There only looks to be a full day water park pass right now. I'd love to do half day at the water park and then spend time snorkeling.

As far as I know, the Water Park requires a pass, either half of full day. I will say as we got closer to the cruise the price seemed to seriously drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter