Percentage of stays at home resort

In the past 4 or 5 years we haven't really booked at non-home resorts. However, we recently booked 3 nights at the Poly for February 2019 and VGF for another 3 nights in March 2019. These dates surround a couple of non-Disney cruises. However, if we had wanted to book a week for VGF it wouldn't have been possible. As to booking at the Poly, we were booking days after the President's Day weekend, and days before and after our 3 nights were not available. However, for the 2nd week of March we could have booked a week at the Poly.

You might check out skier_pete's thread on Predicated DVC booking patterns for studios and 1 bedrooms. https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...rooms-june-2018-update.3689931/#post-59393073

BC = 100% - our preferred location and our smallest contract which was bought specifically for EOY at F&W
BLT = 50% - stay about every third year
AKL = 50% - love AK and stay there at least once a year but the rooms are so cheap that we also use it to book our spring BC vacation.

A question for those who never (or rarely) stay at their home resort(s). How easy do you find it to get more than a couple nights at a non-home resort? Are you wait listing, stalking the RAT and doing multiple splits or have you found it relatively easy to put together a stay at one resort inside of the 7-month window?

Truthfully, I only look at BC because we like it there. I like the end of January and at that time at 7-months I could probably stay anywhere but DH likes March/April and then I just go to BC. In May, thru summer and September we've had good luck with Poly, BC, SSR, OKW and BW. At 7 months I've never had any luck at GF or BC or CC. We stayed at HH in March a few times as it's where we stop if we drive.

A question for those who never (or rarely) stay at their home resort(s). How easy do you find it to get more than a couple nights at a non-home resort? Are you wait listing, stalking the RAT and doing multiple splits or have you found it relatively easy to put together a stay at one resort inside of the 7-month window?
For a 1BR unit, it is often mostly easy if booked early inside the 7 month window. FWIW, I've been quite fortunate using the WL ... but personal impatience compels me to use both WL+Stalking ;) which seems to increase my success.

Edited to add: This month (Oct 2018), we had two visits to WDW, both booked rather late. Granted both were short stays but during periods of relatively high demand (DVC member event + F&W). The first was a 3-night stay at OKW booked after the Moonlight Magic dates were announced. Snagged both the DVC stay and the MM tickets! The second was a 2-night stay at BWV (standard view Studio!) last weekend for more F&W. This reservation was booked, on a whim, during the earlier Oct visit ... so extremely last minute. This reservation required stalking but was, ultimately, successful w/out having to do a split stay.

Last edited:

Bought at OKW 19 years ago, in the beginning I'd book at 11 months (school schedule) so 100%. Now, I book some between 5-7 months and often OKW isn't available so the percentages have changed: OKW 40% - BLT 15% - AKV 15% . I've never had issues booking at 7 months but then I don't like BWV, BCV, and if once in a blue moon I end up at SSR , I enjoy it there too.

we own at 3 resorts:
BWV 81% of our points; home resort usage is 100%
SSR 12% of our points; home resort usage is about 40% (about 60% used to try different DVC resorts)
BCV 7% of our points; home resort usage is less than 1% (we stayed there a few times before deciding to rent them out instead)

We own at SSR, VGF and BCV. We normally stay at those resorts unless we can't get in there on shorter notice trips. It is definitely getting harder to get last minute trips anywhere other than Saratoga. We did happen to get AKV for February now. I would say we stay 90% of the time in a home resort.

I would say about 50% for us. We like to stay at the other resorts from time to time. We also have some trips where we booked late, so we just had to take what was available.

own at BWV and stay there 95% of the time

If someone wants to stay at Boardwalk or the Beach Club I recommend buying at those resort and making the reservations 7 to 11 months in advance. Trying to get in there under 7 months can be very difficult.

Stay nearly 90% of time at BWV with other 10% spread between Aulani and trying a day or two at every resort that has an opening . Have owned for 19years BWV and AKL . Use AKL for short stays prior to longer trip.

We own at BLT and stay there 75% of the time, we only stay else where when we book last minute (last minute is less than 10 months, lol)

I guess you could say 50%, although we stay at our home resort during at least part of 100% of our trips. We always split stay and like to do half at an Epcot resort and half at a MK resort. Our original contract was BWV and we always stay at least part of the trip there. We've done our other half of the trip at AKL, VGF, Poly, and BRV. We recently added on at CCV but haven't stayed there yet.

Last edited:
We avoided VWL for a few years while they were cutting down trees and building CCV. We just had our first stay since CCV opened, and we have decided that ALL OF OUR VWL points will be used there. ( That’s BRV for newbies, it will always be VWL to us.)

We own BRV and plan to spend about 25% of our time there. We rotate between BRV, BLT, and VGF for our big family trips and smaller trips with just my husband and myself we book either BRV or Poly.

We avoided VWL for a few years while they were cutting down trees and building CCV. We just had our first stay since CCV opened, and we have decided that ALL OF OUR VWL points will be used there. (That’s BRV for newbies, it will always be VWL to us.)
:) Not surprised. The resort is gorgeous. We were at CCV last December and fell in love with the entire complex.

Thinking about an add-on there, but not sure if we want CCV or BRV. Waiting until after Riviera comes on line to decide. We're not entirely focused on the parks anymore and BRV/CCV has a relatively reasonable point chart for our preferred 1 bedrooms. Like the boats and proximity to Ft Wilderness (Trails End), too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter