Percentage of stays at home resort

About 50%. We bought VGF 4 years ago and decided 2 years ago we wanted to add on. After staying at BCV, BLT, BWV and AKL we decided that AKL was the best fit for us and will start putting in offers this month. Our family likes split stays so I imagine we will work our way through all of the DVC resorts in the next few years just to try them all.

Since we bought in, 4 of our 9 trips were at home resorts. I think that’s about 45%.....

I think you'll find it really depends on where people own. Home is BWV for us and we've stayed there the most, with 2 or 3 BLT trips mixed in over the last 12 years. We only own 125 points, so it gets difficult to pick a newer resort where we'll have to stay in a studio vs a 1 or 2 bedroom at the BWV. Plus, we actually like the BWV.

If we were to purchase today, and I'm not sure I could convince my wife it would be a good idea, it would probably still be at BWV. It has gotten harder to find exactly what we want/need at the 7 month window any other place. I really don't even try anymore.

FYI, we don't regret buying DVC, especially since we purchased resale and got grandfathered in before the changes to the benefits. I'm just not sure I could convince her to buy again either at the high prices of direct or without some of the benefits by buying resale. Kids are older now too, so that would be a small factor.

Last edited:
I have 4 contracts (SSR, 2 VGC, and 1 AKV), and owned since 2007.

For SSR, I have never actually stayed there. Seems like we have stayed at a lot of the other resorts - BRV, BWV, BCV, AKV-Kidani, AKV-Jambo, Poly, and BLT. For VGC, those points are 100% earmarked for VGC stays. Occasionally, I have used a very small number on other stays, but I added the second contract to have more flexibility and stays there. My AKV contract is new this year and I used some of the points for my recent BWV stay, but banked the rest. And will use those banked for AKV-Kidani in March (as well as other banked points that I had).

Were somewhere around 80%. We own at BLT and pretty much only stay elsewhere for last minute trips when It isn’t available.

Probably around 80%, but we have 4 home resorts, so we do stay in different areas.

I did the numbers and it’s 9/16 home resorts. But I’m almost done sleeping around and my homes are still my favorites so I think it will be more like 9/10 soon. I also I don’t know how to make fractions of percentages but nobody’s perfect

Out of 242 nights at DVC, 187 nights (77%) have been at a home resort (BWV, SSR and OKW) and 55 nights (23%) have been at a non-home resorts (VGF, BLT, BCV, POLY and AKV). The majority of my home resort stays have been at BWV.

I'd say about 10%. We own at VGC, but we're mostly east coasters. So we've only stayed at our home resort once in nine years. We are flexible in WDW and enjoy trying different resorts, but we always go for a dedicated 2BR, so we haven't had a lot of issues right at 7 months (although, I've never gotten anything at BWV). A couple times we've been limited to SSR or OKW, and we've chosen SSR for it's proximity to DTD/DS.

All that said, I've also rented a fair number of points in the past few years. But only about 20% of those have been at VGC, with the rest going in WDW at 7 months or less.

We own 3 resorts.
BWV we stay 100% of the time.
OKW we stay about 75% of the time.
SSR we stay about 25% of the time. (Usually trading into OKW for a 2BR)

I would say we spend 99.9% of our time at our home resort of AKV....there was the one and only night 10/31/13 at BLT...not for us...so glad to go back to AKV the following day. Now DH is a DVC purist and will probably never stay at a different resort. We have always stayed in a studio (value, standard and savanna) and for next year booked a 2 bedroom standard ( dedicated) at Kidani to share with friends.

0%. I own at OKW and SSR we bought about resales 4 years ago and haven't stayed at either since. I've stayed at both in the past so I knew I would be fine staying there is that's all I could get. Since we bought, we've stayed at BWV, BCV,Poly and AKV.

Last edited:
0%. I own at OKW and SSR we bought about resales 4 years ago and haven't stayed at either since. I've stayed at both in the past so I knew I would be fine staying there is that's all I could get. Since we bought, we've stayed at BWV, BCV,Poly and AKV.
So you must have pretty good luck with the 7-Month ressies! Do you always travel the same time of year, or do you mix it up?:darth:

I bought Saratoga Springs in 2004...I have yet to stay there. I have used my points at all other locations (except Aulani and Grand California). I always book less than 7 months in advance and I look for weekend stays at the various resorts (since I live only a few miles away from Disney). For my family this works great if we just want to get away for a little staycation.

BCV and the Polynesian were at the end of August. BWV and AKV were both stays over President's Day weekend.
Thanks for the feedback.
President's weekend sounds great, but I don't think you'll ever catch me in Florida in August.
We are Snow-Birds-In-Training, and DVC has been a great jump-start toward that as our goal in retirement.:darth:

We have spent 65% of our DVC stays at our 4 home resorts. When we first joined DVC we stayed our home resort of BLT only and then after a few stays began to venture out to see most of all of the other resorts. We once again in 2019 are staying at a couple of resorts we really enjoyed during our stay 4-5 years ago, the VGF and PVB. But we find we really miss our home resorts after staying somewhere else.

Owner for a few years now. So far its been 50/50. Half at our home resort BLT, half at the Poly. We would like to stay at VGF but there never seems to be any studios available.

100% is at our home resort since we own at all of the resorts except for Saratoga Springs and Copper Creek. No desire to stay at Saratoga. No need for Copper Creek since we have Boulder Ridges.

A question for those who never (or rarely) stay at their home resort(s). How easy do you find it to get more than a couple nights at a non-home resort? Are you wait listing, stalking the RAT and doing multiple splits or have you found it relatively easy to put together a stay at one resort inside of the 7-month window?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter