People That Don't Show Appreciation for a Gift - rant

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
We had a family get-together today at our son/daughter-in-law's house, so we could finally get the chance to meet our sweet new great-granddaughter. I was over-the-moon finally being able to hold her, she's such a tiny, sweet, precious little girl!! A wonderful and most welcomed new addition to our family.

But. We took our gift along to give the mom and dad (our grandson). I'd had such a good time shopping for the baby, and the mom kind of took the wind out of my sails.

I didn't know she doesn't like the color pink. When I had my daughter I loved dressing her in pink, frilly "girly girl" clothes, but when that same daughter had HER own daughter she did not enjoy the same thing, ha ha! She preferred dressing her in more modern things, in various colors like yellow, green, purple, etc. I never had a problem with that, and don't have a problem with my granddaughter-in-law not liking to dress HER baby in pink frilly things either. But good grief, she was just so vocal about NOT LIKING PINK! She said it out loud more than a couple times. The gift bag I put the gifts in was pink. It said, in big bold letters "Baby Girls ROCK." The words were white, except the word "ROCK" was in gold glitter and the handle of the bag was white ribbon and had a big white bow on the front. She didn't like the bag and made it known to everyone. :(

She didn't like the outfits I bought for the baby (4). Two sleepers, and two outfits, all mostly in shades of pink (a couple had white too, and one had little flowered pale green pants with a bunny on the behind). But I knew that might happen so I put copies of the sales slips inside the bag so she could easily exchange them, and told her up front that I didn't mind if she wanted to exchange them for something more to her liking, but for goodness sakes at least smile and say "thank you" and don't keep saying how you HATE PINK!! :(

I gave them 4 packages of diapers. She didn't say a word about them. Actually threw them on the floor as she took them out of the bag. Wouldn't most people say "oh, we can really use these" or something like that?

I gave them a BIG package of baby wipes. She said "the changing table is FULL of wipes! Where am I going to put THESE now?"

I gave them a package of wrist rattles and a package of little toys that attach to the car seat. She just looked at them and didn't say a word.

The ONLY thing she remotely liked was the very soft, PINK teddy bear that I left peeking out of the top of the bag. :) She said "oh it's so soft! I can overlook that it's PINK!"

She even complained about the TISSUE PAPER I used with the gift bag (alternating pink, and gold with white polka dots).

She never once said "thank you" for anything. At least my grandson had the decency to tell us "thank you."

I was raised that even if you DON'T like a gift, you smile and say "thank you" for it and ACT like you appreciate it. I just wanted to tell her "fine, if you don't like ANY of it I can just take it back and get MY money back!!"

Maybe, as a child, she wasn't taught by her own parents to show appreciation for a gift that's given to you, but good grief, she's an adult now. Wouldn't common sense tell you to ACT like you appreciate it, even if you DON'T like it? Sigh.

We had a family get-together today at our son/daughter-in-law's house, so we could finally get the chance to meet our sweet new great-granddaughter. I was over-the-moon finally being able to hold her, she's such a tiny, sweet, precious little girl!! A wonderful and most welcomed new addition to our family.

But. We took our gift along to give the mom and dad (our grandson). I'd had such a good time shopping for the baby, and the mom kind of took the wind out of my sails.

I didn't know she doesn't like the color pink. When I had my daughter I loved dressing her in pink, frilly "girly girl" clothes, but when that same daughter had HER own daughter she did not enjoy the same thing, ha ha! She preferred dressing her in more modern things, in various colors like yellow, green, purple, etc. I never had a problem with that, and don't have a problem with my granddaughter-in-law not liking to dress HER baby in pink frilly things either. But good grief, she was just so vocal about NOT LIKING PINK! She said it out loud more than a couple times. The gift bag I put the gifts in was pink. It said, in big bold letters "Baby Girls ROCK." The words were white, except the word "ROCK" was in gold glitter and the handle of the bag was white ribbon and had a big white bow on the front. She didn't like the bag and made it known to everyone. :(

She didn't like the outfits I bought for the baby (4). Two sleepers, and two outfits, all mostly in shades of pink (a couple had white too, and one had little flowered pale green pants with a bunny on the behind). But I knew that might happen so I put copies of the sales slips inside the bag so she could easily exchange them, and told her up front that I didn't mind if she wanted to exchange them for something more to her liking, but for goodness sakes at least smile and say "thank you" and don't keep saying how you HATE PINK!! :(

I gave them 4 packages of diapers. She didn't say a word about them. Actually threw them on the floor as she took them out of the bag. Wouldn't most people say "oh, we can really use these" or something like that?

I gave them a BIG package of baby wipes. She said "the changing table is FULL of wipes! Where am I going to put THESE now?"

I gave them a package of wrist rattles and a package of little toys that attach to the car seat. She just looked at them and didn't say a word.

The ONLY thing she remotely liked was the very soft, PINK teddy bear that I left peeking out of the top of the bag. :) She said "oh it's so soft! I can overlook that it's PINK!"

She even complained about the TISSUE PAPER I used with the gift bag (alternating pink, and gold with white polka dots).

She never once said "thank you" for anything. At least my grandson had the decency to tell us "thank you."

I was raised that even if you DON'T like a gift, you smile and say "thank you" for it and ACT like you appreciate it. I just wanted to tell her "fine, if you don't like ANY of it I can just take it back and get MY money back!!"

Maybe, as a child, she wasn't taught by her own parents to show appreciation for a gift that's given to you, but good grief, she's an adult now. Wouldn't common sense tell you to ACT like you appreciate it, even if you DON'T like it? Sigh.

It all sounds very nice. Hope she was just in a mood. And that is not her true personality.

:sad2: Terrible manners, we all agree, but is this behaviour generally like her? It sounds like a complete over-reaction that would have embarrassed everybody in the room. Is she totally stressed-out and miserable since the baby? Hormonal and possibly depressed post-partum? I'd really be concerned about one of my family members if they were acting like this and it was out of character. Most normal, healthy people can at least put on a game face for Grandma. :scratchin

That's too bad really. I have had it happen to me before with a nephew and his wife. Took them to epcot for the day, paid for their meals. Bought a new neck lace for his wife and brought it to her, something she could never buy for her self. Not a word of thanks, nothing. Never got a thank you card for their wedding gift either. So they just had their second child. This first is about 2. No more presents from me. A lot of it has to do with up bringing, some has to do with that generation. Ive moved on from it all, but it did bother me for a while.

Ooops, sorry - I meant to quote you the first time.

Wow she sounds downright rude. Does she normally act like this?

It would bother me too if someone acted that way towards me, when giving them gifts.

Hopefully you can still enjoy your new, beautiful great-granddaughter.

Yikes. She couldn't just be appreciative? You didn't have to get the baby anything, but you were kind and thoughtful. She could have thanked you and returned what she didn't like.

It all sounds very nice. Hope she was just in a mood. And that is not her true personality.

:sad2: Terrible manners, we all agree, but is this behaviour generally like her? It sounds like a complete over-reaction that would have embarrassed everybody in the room. Is she totally stressed-out and miserable since the baby? Hormonal and possibly depressed post-partum? I'd really be concerned about one of my family members if they were acting like this and it was out of character. Most normal, healthy people can at least put on a game face for Grandma. :scratchin

Wow she sounds downright rude. Does she normally act like this?

It would bother me too if someone acted that way towards me, when giving them gifts.

Hopefully you can still enjoy your new, beautiful great-granddaughter.

Unfortunately this is my third experience with her lack of manners where gifts are concerned. Last Christmas we gave each of the grands a small token gift to open and a card with their “real gift” which was money. :). Her small gift was a Bath & Body Works candle. From her reaction when she smelled it I could see she didn’t like it. She never said thank you. And when I personally handed each of our kids and grands their card with money inside they each said “thank you” as I handed it to them, even the 8 year old said it. But not her. And we never got any kind of thank you when we gave them money for their wedding. I can understand maybe not getting a written thank you note but she couldn’t even be bothered to send us a Facebook one. :(.

....are you close enough with your grandson to discuss it with him? Is the behavior out-of-character, or is she this way with everyone? Did he have anything to say about her reaction or the gifts? It's one thing to not like pink, or the gifts, or whatever, but to actually make a negative comment about the PACKAGING?? Sounds like postpartum stuff [and excessive hormones] creeping in....

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is my third experience with her lack of manners where gifts are concerned. Last Christmas we gave each of the grands a small token gift to open and a card with their “real gift” which was money. :). Her small gift was a Bath & Body Works candle. From her reaction when she smelled it I could see she didn’t like it. She never said thank you. And when I personally handed each of our kids and grands their card with money inside they each said “thank you” as I handed it to them, even the 8 year old said it. But not her. And we never got any kind of thank you when we gave them money for their wedding. I can understand maybe not getting a written thank you note but she couldn’t even be bothered to send us a Facebook one. :(.
UGH! She sounds dreadful, I'm afraid you are in for a long road with this one.

....sounds like an opportunity to SAVE MONEY in the future....if she doesn't appreciate it, don't give it.

EDIT: kind of ironic that even an 8-year-old has common sense and decency to say "thank you".

....are you close enough with your grandson to discuss it with him? Is the behavior out-of-character? Did he have anything to say about her reaction or the gifts?[/QUOTE

Close to him but really don’t want to say anything to him about it and start any drama, that’s why I ranted about it here. :).

No, as I mentioned in my second post unfortunately she’s been this way before. Our grandson did say thank you for the gifts, but thankfully he was raised to be polite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter