Peanut Butter on the plane?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
I just talked to my friend and she said that they would not let her eat her peanut butter and crackers on a recent flight? It wasn't a problem going through security, the flight attendant told her she could not open it, she did explain why she did need to eat, and they gave her a lunch snack box. She and I share a common problem hypoglycemia. When I travel I always take some peanut butter to go's and crackers with me, or ritz bits with peanut butter in the middle, even peanut butter cookies and never has anyone said anything...

Is this something new?

There was probably someone with a peanut allergy on board. Peanut is often an airborne allergy. The person with the allergy to peanuts could be in life threatening trouble just with the smell of that snack.

Individuals with allergies can inform airlines prior to a flight of their needs. The airline sets up a buffer zone around the affected passenger (usually the row the passenger occupies and the rows in front and behind the passenger).

Some airlines choose to go entirely peanut free.

There are other high protein, non perishable snacks you can bring that will be safe to eat in all circumstances. Cheese and crackers, beef or turkey jerky, hummus, sunbutter and crackers.

I only fly round trip once it twice a year and never heard this on my flights. Odd because don’t most airlines still give out peanuts

We just flew last month and one of the options for the free snacks was a bag of peanuts. Depends on the airline or the passengers on the flight.

It was likely an issue for that specific flight. If another passenger alerted them that they have a life threatening peanut allergy they may make it a peanut free flight. I haven't experienced this myself, but have heard of others making the request. For the most part the flights we have taken, they are still serving snacks with nuts.

There was probably someone with a peanut allergy on board. Peanut is often an airborne allergy. The person with the allergy to peanuts could be in life threatening trouble just with the smell of that snack.

Individuals with allergies can inform airlines prior to a flight of their needs. The airline sets up a buffer zone around the affected passenger (usually the row the passenger occupies and the rows in front and behind the passenger).

Some airlines choose to go entirely peanut free.

There are other high protein, non perishable snacks you can bring that will be safe to eat in all circumstances. Cheese and crackers, beef or turkey jerky, hummus, sunbutter and crackers.

I would never knowingly put someone else at risk... I will have to check out some other options to take along just in case, Thanks for the head start... The last couple of time we got almonds on the flight...

I would never knowingly put someone else at risk... I will have to check out some other options to take along just in case, Thanks for the head start... The last couple of time we got almonds on the flight...
Oh, I’m sure you wouldn’t. I hope my post didn’t imply that you would.

We were informed of a peanut allergy on a flight a few months ago. It was nice to get an explanation, and I made sure not to pull out the protein bars that I had stashed in my bag. We don't usually bring peanuts or peanut butter, but I didn't think about the protein bar until we were told about the allergy.

DH usually takes PB&J on flights because he doesn't particularly care for the boxes they sell. He's never been told he can't eat it and he, until last year, was traveling at least one per month across country. I think it's pretty rare that it happens.

We were informed of a peanut allergy on a flight a few months ago. It was nice to get an explanation, and I made sure not to pull out the protein bars that I had stashed in my bag. We don't usually bring peanuts or peanut butter, but I didn't think about the protein bar until we were told about the allergy.

I'm glad you brought that up, DH brings along some of those protein bars as well...

Not that we travel a lot, but over the years, maybe 30 trips. Only once did we hear "this will be a peanut free flight" but no one mentions if you have peanut products please leave them stashed. We almost also have some in our carryon.

My flight last month back from MCO was the first in 25+ years of flying that I was on a peanut free flight. They announced that we had multiple people with nut allergies and they would not be handing out peanuts, but pretzels instead.

I normally take a peanut or peanut butter snack as I tend to need to boost my sugar levels when flying and my stomach can usually handle those well. Over the last few years, I have tried to cut back on relying on those snacks in case of this situation. I basically make bento/lunchable type meal for the plane. For my flight last month, I had pepperoni, cheese, chocolate, fruits. Most of these were fine without being refrigerated for a few hours.

The person with the allergy to peanuts could be in life threatening trouble just with the smell of that snack.
You might want to do some reading...
https://www.allergyhome.org/can-the-smell-of-peanut-butter-cause-an-allergic-reaction/
The smell of peanut butter is caused by pyrizines, which are not proteins. It is the proteins that trigger allergic reactions. So the smell of peanut butter sandwich from the next table should not cause an allergic reaction.
https://www.allergicliving.com/experts/can-i-react-to-the-smell-of-peanutnuts/
The smell of peanut/nuts or peanut butter does not come from the peanut protein, and therefore allergic reactions should not occur just because you smell peanut or because there is an open jar of peanut butter in the area.
http://www.peanut-institute.org/eating-well/allergy/
But did you know that touching, smelling, or inhaling airborne particles from peanuts does not cause a severe reaction. ( Simonte SJ, et al. Relevance of casual contact with peanut butter in children with peanut allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol.. 2003 Jul:112 (1): 180-2.
Smelling the aroma of peanuts is not the same as inhaling peanut particles that could potentially contain the allergenic protein. The aroma of peanuts comes from different compounds that cannot cause an allergic reaction.
https://www.foodallergyawareness.org/foodallergy/food_allergens-11/peanut-25/
The risk of inhaling peanut and casual environmental contact:
Caregivers and patients often express concern about reacting to peanut through the smell of peanut butter, breathing in peanut dust, or the risk from touching surfaces that may have come in contact with peanut. Inhalation has often been reported as a route through which someone’s reaction has occurred. However, evidence has shown there is a very low to absent risk accidental exposure through casual environmental contact is exceptionally low, and no evidence that shows peanut butter or peanut dust can cause a reaction. Studies have shown that following:

ETA: I am not saying you shouldn't avoid bringing peanuts into a "peanut free" area (such as a plane).

While I carry protein bars in my bag when we travel, I have also started carrying - in a separate zip-loc bag - other snacks such as raisins and chocolate for just this possibility. I wouldn't want to put someone else at risk for what could be a life threatening event, but I also want to be prepared if I need to bolster my blood sugar in the interim.

OP here,

DH and I are going to figure out some other snacks to bring on the plane/ high in protein and some sugar...I just always have gone with peanut butter, as it works best for me. I might make my own trail mix and instead of peanuts...use almonds, pecans, or walnuts...

We are one of "those" families on a plane with a severe peanut allergy. Honestly, it isn't the peanut butter smell that is worrisome but the fact that it is easily spread from someone's fingers onto the seats, armrests, and tray table and peanut butter is harder to clean off. What is more worrisome is peanut dust and those papery shells on spanish peanuts? That can easily float in the air and in an enclosed space....

I board the plane early with my allergic daughter and I wipe down everything that she would touch as a precaution. Seats, armrests, buckles, tray table, emergency fold-out, and we bring our own magazines. We leave our seats WAY more clean than when we arrive:lmao: One can obviously never be 100% safe but we clean what we can and bring epipens, asthma inhaler, and benedryl for back-up.

I always fly Southwest, and almost every single time, they serve bags of peanuts on the flight. ONE time they did not, and they made an announcement prior to takeoff that someone one the flight had a life threatening peanut allergy and that if you had a snack or meal containing peanuts, PLEASE refrain from eating it onboard.

But other than that, yeah, never a problem with peanuts. I usually carry peanut butter crackers.

On one of our flights last year, it was announced that food containing ANY nuts was not allowed on that flight due to someone with severe allergies. Totally understood, however I was starving due to missing breakfast because our original flight was cancelled last minute, and we were actually rebooked on an EARLIER flight, and of course everything I had grabbed while rushing after getting through security had nuts in it :headache:. I have hypoglycemia, so it was pretty miserable waiting for them to come around with snacks. Of course a person's allergies take precedence over my hunger any day, but it has taught me to err on the side of caution and NOT bring snacks with nuts, just in case.

I always fly Southwest, and almost every single time, they serve bags of peanuts on the flight. ONE time they did not, and they made an announcement prior to takeoff that someone one the flight had a life threatening peanut allergy and that if you had a snack or meal containing peanuts, PLEASE refrain from eating it onboard.

But other than that, yeah, never a problem with peanuts. I usually carry peanut butter crackers.
And see I almost always fly SWA and have never ever had a flight attendant make someone not eat their own food, I've never had a flight attendant to say refrain from eating it onboard.

The only thing they have ever said is "we will not be serving peanuts on this flight" (or something similar) and is when they are talking about snack and beverages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter