Peanut butter cookies

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
We experienced some magic last week when a bakery CM came up to my family on Main Street and handed each of our kids a surprise. It was a peanut butter cookie in an open bag directly handed to my 17-month old and 4 YO with special needs. I was delighted with the Magic, but it wasn't until I walked away that I realized they had just handed my kids peanut butter cookies. No big deal here, but isn't that a huge concern for people with allergies? I have friends whose kids have anaphylactic allergies. I am thinking I will email Disney about my concerns. The CM was so nice to give it to them, but I do have concerns with anyone handing food directly to my kids. Was this a one off or is it common practice?

Sounds like a nice gesture to me. My 6 year old was made mayor for the day this past September and she was given so much food. Mickey Bars, Dole Whips, popcorn, etc. etc. I am a peanut butter junkie and would have loved some PB cookies!

Oh no! Sometimes nice things go the wrong way...
I think it’s a one off because CMs have even asked me if it’s okay to give a sticker to my kid.
Nut allergies run in my family so I might freak out if someone gave a pb cookie to my toddler before we knew he wasn’t allergic.
I would chalk it up to a mistake ... maybe new employee. Next time give out the sugar cookies:)

Oh, it could have meant a ER visit for my family!!! Luckily our PA kid is old enough not to bite into it, but I can see lots of kids going just that before parents stopped them. Really Really bad idea.

I would e-mail WDW. The CM, I'm sure, was just trying to be nice, but that's really a health and safety hazard - kids with allergies, diabetes, etc. Personally, I don't think you should ever offer a child anything without asking the parent first. The only time we were offered free food in WDW is after we ordered it. We ordered popcorn at a cart and the CM said, "this one' son Mickey!" It was really nice plus she already knew we specifically could eat that item. We've also been offered little certificates for free snacks so we could choose what we wanted. Handing a child a peanut butter cookie is a bad idea.

That would be scary. My DD8 loves getting cookies from the bakery at the grocery store, but staff always ask "Any allergies?" before handing over the cookie. Many times the staff look to us for confirmation after DD8 has told them no allergies. And they hand our sugar cookies or chocolate chip cookies.

Not ok. So wrong.
ETA: my 11 yo peanut allergic niece was in my care for my daughter’s kindergarten graduation, her parents couldn’t attend for some reason. During the post ceremony cookie and punch social, she turns to me and says, “auntie huskygal, can you check if this cookie has peanuts? My throat feels funny.” Yeah, cue internal freak out.
And guess who supplied the cookies?? All the parents of the grads! I couldn’t believe someone brought peanut butter cookies disguised as oatmeal cookies. I suppose they thought, well no allergies in our class - which was true...so anyway I’m shaking my head at this CM passing out peanut butter cookies.

Last edited:
“Allergy mom” here. Thankfully, no anaphylactic reactions so far. Even without the fear of a life threatening reaction, it still would put me in a really bad position if someone handed my son a food I know he can’t eat, and I then had to take it away from him, cue the temper tantrum (nothing magical about that).

I think management should be alerted.

No allergies here and I wouldn't be upset if someone offered my kiddos something. However, usually they ask even when they hand out stickers. So I'm going to go with it was a new CM that was sent out to do this and didn't think about possible allergy issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!