PeachTree Road Race July 4 2019

How early do you all plan on getting into the corral/wave area?

I still feel I'm going to melt into a puddle & die.

I am thinking I will be on Marta around 5:30. I should be there around 6 ish.

I ran at 7:10 this morning. I felt like I was going to melt into a puddle and die. T + D was 136 I think. The only grace was the sun was not high yet. That happens by 8:30.

I'm also tall and being tall always helps!

Yes it does!

How early do you all plan on getting into the corral/wave area?
We get to the start early, but late to the corral. MARTA from Lindbergh, at Lenox/start area by 5:30-6:00. We hang out near Lenox till 6:45 or so, then go to the corrals. I may go to the corral earlier this year to increase the chance of meeting.
I still feel I'm going to melt into a puddle & die.
You will melt into a puddle, but you will not die. Go out medium fast (one of the few races where this makes sense) and slow WAY down on the second half.

You will melt into a puddle, but you will not die. Go out medium fast (one of the few races where this makes sense) and slow WAY down on the second half.
I was wondering the best way to run the course with the downhill and then uphills. How are the hills? Like long gradual inclines or super steep & long?

I was wondering the best way to run the course with the downhill and then uphills. How are the hills? Like long gradual inclines or super steep & long?

It's a good day for a fun run and not a PR/POT. I did manage to set a 10K PR in 2017, but I would not recommend it. I'm planning on running about 10% slower than what I could do a 10K in under more favorable conditions. With the hills, heat, and humidity (and hangover), 10% slower will still be a medium hard effort, but not near death.

Here are my splits from last year. So anywhere from 30-60 seconds faster than average on miles 1-3, and 20-70 seconds slower on miles 4-6.

Even starting in B, it will be pretty congested for the first 2-3 miles. After that, it's still crowded, but the runners are more sorted by pace.

The course is wide so pay attention to the tangents. It's so crowded, you can't really run the exact tangent, it's more like 'politely running the shortest distance possible'.

Here's an elevation chart (not from ATC):

Here's from my FR235:

And here's how I would describe it:

The first 3 miles are pleasantly rolling downhill. Not the kind of hills that really pound your quads; the kind of hills you can just put it in neutral and coast.

Starting a little before mile 3 is Cardiac Hill. It's a bear. It's also tricky in that you hit that little flat spot and you think you're done. The good news is that it's only about a half mile.

If you need a little boost after CH (or maybe it's the tail end of the hill), move to the right of the course and say hi to the patients from Shepherd Center. https://www.shepherd.org/

You get a little downhill (which I've never noticed) after CH. But don't let your guard down.

To me, mile 4-5 is the toughest. It's a mile long hill. Not as steep as CH, but longer, plus you're tired.

At about 5.3, it's all (most) all down hill. Somewhere around 5.3-5.5 you make a sharp left turn off of Peachtree. Photographers will be soon after with the finish not far after that.

There are a couple of places on the course where they have sprinklers set up. I try to avoid them to avoid wet shoes.

Make sure and grab a Delta iced towel at the finish. Feels great and makes a handy workout towel. The are generally to the left of the alphabet balloons after you finish.

Some MARTA info that you or others might find useful:

MARTA is the way to go. Round-trip fare is $5.00, but there is a $1.00 charge for the ticket. Seems like we've paid $6.25 or $6.50 in the past. I don't know if all transit systems are like this, but you will need your ticket to get out of the station. It's a paper ticket and ours have been almost unusable by the finish, so a small zip-loc bag may not be a bad idea.

We like parking at Lindbergh. It has several advantages:
Easy access from the interstate
Plenty of covered parking. The MARTA parking deck entrance is in the rear of the parking deck. Don't mistake the AT&T parking for it.
One stop to Lenox on the northbound gold line.
On the way back, you don't have to worry about which northbound to catch. Both red and gold trains stop at Lindbergh.
This year, it appears there will also be bus service from Piedmont Park to Lindbergh.
Chick-fil-a is handy for a post race coffee/snack/bathroom stop.

LMK if you have questions.

David nailed it. I will be honest, I do try and run it hard but am not sure I am ready for the heat this year. I will see what the day brings, but even hard it won’t be a PR. It is too hot for that crap. I like having a target though, this year its under 52 minutes, that is a hard effort but not PR. With the temps, I will take under 55. I have a goal to finish my race before my cube mate at work starts his race :)

Just popping in to wish you all a great race! I did PeachTree last year as I just happened to be in Atlanta for work temporarily and got lucky with the lottery. I can't STAND heat and humidity, but I'm a slow runner anyway, so I walked most of it. At most races I've done that claim great crowd support, I've found the crowd peters out by the time I come by toward the end of the race, but not this one! It was so much fun seeing all the crowds, picking up free popsicles and getting doused by water from the groups along the course, I nearly signed up for it this year even though I'd have to travel. Take the time to enjoy the day!

T+D of 146 this morning when i went out for my easy 6 miles. It was brutal. Everyone get ready. I will post a flatkris after work. i have a neon visor so i will wear that to help me stand out.

Flat Kris. Plus I will have a fuel belt.

I'll be on the lookout. Keying off the yellow visor.

I'll be in a white tank with the design I posted earlier and black compression shorts. No hat or visor.

I think we've talked ourselves into going for 52!

My pre-PT training is going well: visit a local winery on Sunday then go out for a burger. Legs are mysteriously sore and I have some kind of eye infection. I'm ready!

@Disney at Heart i am slightly concerned i wont see you at the M balloon. On the timing i may be taking Mallory out at that time. While i am not sure how the morning will go, wanted to let you know i might not be there at 8:45.

@cavepig and @OldSlowGoofyGuy i am hoping to see you guys in the corals.

@GADisneyDad14 i am not sure when you will hit the balloons.

Basically i am not sure if i will be around to meet people at the balloons but i will definitely be around. Depending i might even put mallory in the wagon and bring her, that depends on how hot it is.

If i don't see you GOOD LUCK everyone. I saw the weather flag is expecting to be Yellow at the start and then change to RED.

@cavepig and @OldSlowGoofyGuy i am hoping to see you guys in the corals.
Same here. @garneska, if we find each other, I think we're on the hook to push/pull/prod each other to a 52:00.
If I die (literally), I'm coming back to haunt you.

I'll be at 'M' from approximately 8:10-8:40.

I might be able to stretch that a few minutes, just not sure.

Forecast is 75+69 dewpoint. Like they've been saying on WSB: 'Air you can wear'.

Have a good race and have a safe race.

Either you know who I'm quoting or it doesn't matter. I hate to haul more weight than necessary down Peachtree but maybe I'll wear my rubber wristband with that saying.

Same here. @garneska, if we find each other, I think we're on the hook to push/pull/prod each other to a 52:00.

I might be able to stretch that a few minutes, just not sure.

Forecast is 75+69 dewpoint. Like they've been saying on WSB: 'Air you can wear'.

Have a good race and have a safe race.

Either you know who I'm quoting or it doesn't matter. I hate to haul more weight than necessary down Peachtree but maybe I'll wear my rubber wristband with that saying.
Thank you Will Chamberlain. RIP We still use Classic Race Services for the Hartwell Dam Run, and Carol still says it!

I know it is going to be a tough one but we will give it our all. As for the haunting it goes the same way. It is going to be brutal tomorrow.

The sad part is Mallory has a vet appointment in the afternoon so I can't start drinking until after i am home from that :(. However i should finish around 8 and we don't leave for the vet till 1 pm. I should have time for 1 beer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter