Paying dues with gift cards?????

quandrea

DIS Veteran
I have many gift cards that I’d like to use to pay dues. Went on the website and it won’t let me do it. I assumed I could just enter one at a time and a declining balance would be recorded. Not happening. Anyone have any pointers?

I combined mine online into 2 cards to pay entire balance for one contract. Had to pick “pay by contract” or something like that.

Recently called to pay a partial sum on another contract I pay monthly on. That took the place of my 1/15 payment and part of my February payment.

You can only pay a partial amount one time per year (per membership) using a gift card.

You can only pay a partial amount one time per year (per membership) using a gift card.
Really? I paid mine off using GCs and making partial payments to use up GC balances rather than combining them on the disneygiftcard.com website. I did it on Jan15, the due date for payments. There was a radio button to click for partial payments and then a window for entering the dollar amount before adding the GC information. I wonder if it got removed after the due date?

Really? I paid mine off using GCs and making partial payments to use up GC balances rather than combining them on the disneygiftcard.com website. I did it on Jan15, the due date for payments. There was a radio button to click for partial payments and then a window for entering the dollar amount before adding the GC information. I wonder if it got removed after the due date?
I made many, many partial payments to run down the balances on my gift cards. I think I had sixteen cards that I had to use. Time consuming, but it worked. I paid contract by contract.

Please correct me if I am wrong, however, I have been told by different MS CM, that if you sign up for auto payment, you can only make a one time payment outside of the auto-payment using gift cards (you can use as many as you have). That is the purpose of the auto payment to be spread out over the calendar year so there is no admin cost, otherwise the dues need to be paid in full at one time.

I have many gift cards that I’d like to use to pay dues. Went on the website and it won’t let me do it. I assumed I could just enter one at a time and a declining balance would be recorded. Not happening. Anyone have any pointers?

You have to select the pay by contract option to make partial payments. FYI - it also seems to take a bit of time for the DVC system to process the payment. A few weeks ago I decided to do this while watching a football game. It was just after I clicked process on my second payment that I started thinking that I had just paid that one off. Sure enough - a credit that was going to carry forward to cover next years dues! A call to accounting took care of it but the whole purpose of doing this online was to not have to make that call. :headache:

Because of this quirk I'd recommend consolidating your GCs together a bit. There's a limit fo $1,000 per card but either your entering it on the DVC website or you can enter it on the Disney Gift Card website and have fewer cards floating around with balances.

Oh - had started writing this and got distracted before posting but I see you figured it out!

You have to select the pay by contract option to make partial payments. FYI - it also seems to take a bit of time for the DVC system to process the payment. A few weeks ago I decided to do this while watching a football game. It was just after I clicked process on my second payment that I started thinking that I had just paid that one off. Sure enough - a credit that was going to carry forward to cover next years dues! A call to accounting took care of it but the whole purpose of doing this online was to not have to make that call. :headache:

Because of this quirk I'd recommend consolidating your GCs together a bit. There's a limit fo $1,000 per card but either your entering it on the DVC website or you can enter it on the Disney Gift Card website and have fewer cards floating around with balances.

Oh - had started writing this and got distracted before posting but I see you figured it out!
Thanks for the detailed reply. I did figure it out. I noticed that the site did not register payments. I needed to log off, clear my history and log back in. A bit annoying, but what can you do?

Last edited:
This is not correct unless it has changed this year. I always pay 3-months' worth of dues using GCs in January on my three contracts. Then in April I pay the remainder off using GCs. I make several partial payments using GCs.

Please correct me if I am wrong, however, I have been told by different MS CM, that if you sign up for auto payment, you can only make a one time payment outside of the auto-payment using gift cards (you can use as many as you have). That is the purpose of the auto payment to be spread out over the calendar year so there is no admin cost, otherwise the dues need to be paid in full at one time.

I think they have misunderstood what that (confusing) wording means.

“Make a one-time payment for your Dues balance” means that using that page is not going to set up autopay, it’s. It’s going to repeat. You’re doing it this once. If you want to do it again you need to actually do it again.

I’m set up with autopay, and I did what disneystarwisher mentions just last week.

When I click on to pay per contract it says “Contracts Enrolled in Autopay can only receive partial payments by Disney Gift Card or Disney Rewards Redemption Card”. Nothing about “you can’t do this bc you just did it”

I literally only found out this option the other week, and this is my 10th year of owning and being on autopay. And most of us here know more about Dvc than the CMs, so imo it makes sense that the CMs didn’t know about this.

This sounds like a great option. While the most recent posts are almost two years ago, I am curious if this is still an option to use Disney Gift Cards to pay DVC dues for 2021?

Last edited:
This sounds like a great option. Whiel the most recent posts are almost two years ago, I am curious if this is still an option to use Disney Gift Cards to pay DVC dues for 2021?
Yep. We have a credit balance now and plan to keep paying ahead with GC bought with Target Red Card plus Disney Visa rewards points. We are set up for monthly auto payment but always pay before that month’s payment comes out of our checking account, so Disney doesn’t debit anything.

Me too works quite well and I have a significant credit right now. I only pay with a gift card I get cash back with!

Yep. We have a credit balance now and plan to keep paying ahead with GC bought with Target Red Card plus Disney Visa rewards points. We are set up for monthly auto payment but always pay before that month’s payment comes out of our checking account, so Disney doesn’t debit anything.
I didn't know you could do that! My friend has his DVC on monthly payments and didn't think he could use gift cards to pay. I'll pass this on to him :).

I didn't know you could do that! My friend has his DVC on monthly payments and didn't think he could use gift cards to pay. I'll pass this on to him :).
The important point is for him to pay several days before the monthly debit is scheduled to come out of his account. As long as he pays at least as much as that monthly payment would be, they won't debit anything that month. And if he pays more than that month's payment, the next month's payment due will be reduced too.

Thank you for this thread! I had a bunch of gift cards left over from the last few months of travel to/from FL (not for Disney specifically) and now that was coming to an end I was looking on how to use them well. Not enough to pay off the dues, but will take care of a few months.

Dues paid up!

Also, note that when I applied the GC (first consolidating them) it immediately noted on screen that I was paid for May and my June due amount was reduced (I had rounded up to the nearest dollar when paying). This reflection seems to be a more recent improvement on what those above reported, where they may have had to to wait days to see it reflected and to ensure the monthly withdraw would not hit their banks.

I could have paid several months worth at once and the system would have knocked back the due payments accordingly. I like that.

Last edited:
Just a reminder because I didn't remember and maybe someone else needs a reminder.

I just tried to pay my dues with several GCs and I didn't remember that you must pay "by contract" even if you only have one contract to use a variety of gift cards. I suppose this only applies if, like me, your dues are more than $1000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter