Pay Tollo with rental car in Orlando

ExpatDisneyLover

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used PayTollo - the app - to pay tolls in Orlando with a rental car?

I have a car prepaid through hotwire - unfortunately it is Thrifty and I am not looking forward to their toll charge system and am looking for other solutions. PayTollo has been on the local news in Orlando as an option but just wish there were more reviews out there. I want to know how well it works, if it ever "misses" and you are charged by plate instead. Does anyone have any experience with this app?

I don't have any experience with the app but I just returned from a trip to Florida (not Disney but Florida) and I went through a few unmanned toll booths while there. I just got an itemized bill after the fact from Budget. There was no upcharge or anything, they just applied the tolls to my credit card after the fact and sent me an itemized bill. This was done via the license plate.

I don't have any experience with the app but I just returned from a trip to Florida (not Disney but Florida) and I went through a few unmanned toll booths while there. I just got an itemized bill after the fact from Budget. There was no upcharge or anything, they just applied the tolls to my credit card after the fact and sent me an itemized bill. This was done via the license plate.
Thanks, I wish I had rented with a company like Budget now too. :) (After the fact buyers remorse).

I have used a similar system with Alamo before and it worked well. I am just finding out that Thrifty will charge as much as $15 fee per toll or cap it out at about $100. I really don't want to pay $100 for what will probably be $20 in tolls. Wish I had booked Alamo again as their toll system is so much better. They have a $20 fee total for using the plate charge system in addition to the tolls. I could live with $20 - but $100 seems crazy. I may decide to take the bus!

Why not just pay cash? We just make sure we have some singles and a handful of change. The lines are never terribly long and the attendants at the manned booths are generally always pleasant.

Why not just pay cash? We just make sure we have some singles and a handful of change. The lines are never terribly long and the attendants at the manned booths are generally always pleasant.
Yeah - that may be best after all - I was going to explore further afield but may rethink and just use roads with manned tolls - or just not use toll roads at all. I just wish Thrifty had more customer friendly policies - but haven't really given them a chance yet. Been reading too many negative reviews.

There are some unmanned tool booths so make sure you have singles and quarters. There are also some areas of FL that only have Sunpass lanes with no cash option what so ever. I ran into a couple of them late at night on the Gulf Coast.

There are some unmanned tool booths so make sure you have singles and quarters. There are also some areas of FL that only have Sunpass lanes with no cash option what so ever. I ran into a couple of them late at night on the Gulf Coast.
Exactly what I was afraid I might encounter- thanks for the heads up -:drive:

Stop worrying ....... Cash is King.

When approaching Toll Plaza ...... Get into Right Lane & stay Right

Follow Green Light ...... With CASH / Receipt lite up

So have some CASH with you .

Around MIAMI & the Turnpike heading from Orlando to Miami there are NO CASH TOLL'S

SUNPASS CARD is USED ............................... WATCH OUT

Paytollo is a valid method of paying for toll crossings in Florida. For rental vehicles, it is important to enter the end date/time of the of the car hire. You can edit the end date/time if your actual vehicle drop off time changes (earlier or later than planned). When using PayTollo, always stay in the express lanes... no waiting.

The application does use GPS technology and messages the user when crossings occur. BUT, if the application is turned off, phone is off, battery dead, or destroyed due to an awesome Kali River Rapids experience, your toll crossing will still be paid from your PayTollo account. Note: when depending on the OCR (camera) abilities of the toll plazas, there is a delay in receiving the charge from the toll authority (sometimes weeks if it is a holiday weekend).

For additional information your can go to the PayTollo website. I would start here... http://www.paytollo.com/pt_Rental_Car_Toll_Payment_Solution
Always read the app description in the Apple or Android store to see if any promotions are happening.

Disclaimer: This response is from PayTollo, Inc.

Stop worrying ....... Cash is King.

When approaching Toll Plaza ...... Get into Right Lane & stay Right

Follow Green Light ...... With CASH / Receipt lite up

So have some CASH with you .

Around MIAMI & the Turnpike heading from Orlando to Miami there are NO CASH TOLL'S

SUNPASS CARD is USED ............................... WATCH OUT
Correct: All of Miami is cashless. Options are EPASS or SunPass transponders, toll-by-plate (can be expensive for rental vehicles), PayTollo or careful navigation to avoid toll roads.

I always just get a prepaid Sunpass and keep it on my dash (I don't rent a car, but I do drive to Florida) and it makes it easy. You can order them online, or find them at toll plazas and grocery stores. How soon after you rent the car will you need to be utilizing toll roads? Hitting a Publix or Walmart once you arrive for a prepaid Sunpass could be the easiest (and cheapest) solution for you.

Well - here is the update.

I arrived into MCO yesterday, rented with Thrifty and decided to go ahead and use PayTollo - honestly I am really curious to see how it works and don't want to be fearful - especially with renting a car. I hopefully will come to Orlando often, Disney geek that I am. Anyway - it took a little time to set up - enter the car information and my payment information but all of that was easily done in the parking garage before leaving the airport. I had the app running while driving - and it kept running even though my iphone would go black from lack of use during the drive. It notified me that I passed a toll and when I got to Universal I just opted to pay the toll - there was a .40 charge but not sure if that is a one off (?) (or for every toll - the website says for every $20- ?). I used the option to replenish every time I get down to $5. Still not really sure how it will work and especially with Thrifty's plate toll program so I am interested to see what happens as the trip progresses. If it works well I will definitely use again as it is super convenient.

I always just get a prepaid Sunpass and keep it on my dash (I don't rent a car, but I do drive to Florida) and it makes it easy. You can order them online, or find them at toll plazas and grocery stores. How soon after you rent the car will you need to be utilizing toll roads? Hitting a Publix or Walmart once you arrive for a prepaid Sunpass could be the easiest (and cheapest) solution for you.
If PayTollo doesn't work well - I will definitely do this. Thanks!

I arrived into MCO yesterday, rented with Thrifty and decided to go ahead and use PayTollo - honestly I am really curious to see how it works and don't want to be fearful - especially with renting a car. I hopefully will come to Orlando often, Disney geek that I am. Anyway - it took a little time to set up - enter the car information and my payment information but all of that was easily done in the parking garage before leaving the airport. I had the app running while driving - and it kept running even though my iphone would go black from lack of use during the drive. It notified me that I passed a toll and when I got to Universal I just opted to pay the toll - there was a .40 charge but not sure if that is a one off (?) (or for every toll - the website says for every $20- ?). I used the option to replenish every time I get down to $5. Still not really sure how it will work and especially with Thrifty's plate toll program so I am interested to see what happens as the trip progresses. If it works well I will definitely use again as it is super convenient.

Thanks for being the guinea pig and reporting in!

Hi,
Thank you for using the app! Please continue to post your thoughts/experiences... when you can carve time from your vacation. We hope PayTollo to be a tool that you set up and don't pay attention to except for those "toll moments". The "Replenish" plan placed $20 US into your account with a $0.40 convenience fee. There will be no other fees until the balance hits $5. At that time, it will "replenish" the account to $20. In round numbers, your card will be charged $15 + $0.40. Of course, if there is any issue, you can reach out to support in the app and via social channels.

Thank you, PayTollo

Hi,
Thank you for using the app! Please continue to post your thoughts/experiences... when you can carve time from your vacation. We hope PayTollo to be a tool that you set up and don't pay attention to except for those "toll moments". The "Replenish" plan placed $20 US into your account with a $0.40 convenience fee. There will be no other fees until the balance hits $5. At that time, it will "replenish" the account to $20. In round numbers, your card will be charged $15 + $0.40. Of course, if there is any issue, you can reach out to support in the app and via social channels.

Thank you, PayTollo
Thanks for the information - makes me feel better about using the app!

Well, I have returned from my trip and wanted to give a review of Pay Tollo. I will keep everyone updated if there is more information as things go.

I found the app really easy to use. For me it was worth the peace of mind knowing I could use any road regardless. I traversed the Beltway, 429, and the Turnpike. Pay Tollo just gave me the freedom to not have to care about tolls at a much more reasonable rate than the rental car agency. I enjoyed being able to just go through the Sunpass lane. It worked very well and as far as I am aware everything was paid correctly. I haven't received anything from Thrifty that indicates there was an issue with the toll charging system they use. If something changes to that effect I will post it here.

So from this Pay Tollo newbie - everything worked very well! Glad I tried it! :):drive:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!