Pay as you play

P

paulhackett

Just got our new gidebook and noticed that in the pay as you go section you have to pay extra for more coffee and soap.in the past when we have stayed we get these items from roomservice trollys when they are in the coridor.I understand the towel package but as we usualy stay for 2 weeks and paying for soap and coffee is a bit rich as if you stay at most resorts you get them on tap so to speek and yhr only one that dosant do it as far as i am aware is the broardwalk

Paul

All stars(movies sports and music)
Coronardo springs
Port orleans
Vero
Broadwalk
vilas at wilderness
disney cruise

This plan was created to reduce member's dues. If you received supplies everyday, costs would have to be passed to the members through higher dues. This way only the members who use them are charged. For cash paying non-DVC guests, the cost is included in the room rate. Your best bet would be to bring supplies from home.

the old gide book only mensions thay you have to pay for extra clean towels and not for coffee and soap as it is 5000 miles from home i dont think i should lug extra items with me

paul

Coronardo springs
Port orleans
Vero
Broadwalk
vilas at wilderness
disney cruise

Members were notified in writing quite a long time ago about payment being required for extra items such as coffee, laundry detergent, etc. You can pickup more of these from Housekeeping, but you will be charged for them. It is a measure taken to keep the cost of dues down as much as possible, so it is actually a good thing for us. :)

how long is a long time ago as we joined in 1999 we have not recived any prior noitce about charge and when we stayed at the villas at widernes this year when i rang housekeeping they brought us coffee and soap and we were not charged

Paul

Coronardo springs
Port orleans
Vero
Broadwalk
vilas at wilderness
disney cruise

Paul,
I believe you will find it in your contract. This is not a really new thing, I believe it has been effect for a least 2 years, if not 3.
All members are treated, or should be, equally, therefore your comment about flying 5000 miles really makes no difference.
Many people fly many miles and they adapt to the policies.
You have to realize that DVC is NOT a regular resort, it is a member resort. Regular resorts build the cost of these little extra goodies into the room price, at DVC we, the members, pay for these little goodies. In an attempt to keep the dues at a resonable level, they are charging as you go, not charging all members for what one wants and the other does not.
Hope this helps. :)

hi: we always stop at the grocery store on the way from the airport to pick up coffee, snacks, etc. i prefer my own brand of coffee to what they have anyway. i really don't recall when they changed this.

When the program was first introduced, the notification was in one of the Vacation Magic's that went out to the members.

I recall there was lots of discussion about it, especially with regard to the charges for towels. The other big topic was how inconsistantly people were being charged.

I'm pretty sure the program was started sometime in 1998. I remember our stay in September that we purchased some TP, not being aware that housekeeping would replenish at no charge.

Funny you mention about the TP. In May at OKW, we were down to almost the end of the roll on T & T day and there was no extra under the sink. So I called in the morning to make sure they had us down for T & T and they said yes. We came back mid-afternoon and they still were not there, so I called again, told them we were almost out and they said they would page the housekeeper. I also left a note for the housekeeper and she put about 10 rolls under the sink! I wasn't sure what she was trying to say (we had left again before she came)! :eek:

When we at VWL last Easter we had a 1 bedroom for 4 people. They gave us 1 soap! I called to request more so there could at least be 1 at the bathroom sink-they said I'd have to pay. I understand keeping cost down, but that seems like pinching pennies!

Like most DVC er's we stop at the local Publix on the way to OKW and buy our coffee, water, soda, snacks etc. We don't take it with us on the plane and only buy enough for the week as not to waste it.

I only wish those coffe filters came in packs of 20 not 100!!!!

As far as the soap and shampoo. I don't use them at all. I prefer my own (MHO) and it really wouldn't bother me if there weren't any. I'd rather seen the money spent on them used to other things (better park passes etc.). Just my 2 cents on this matter.

We also bought last year (resale) and were aware of the policy. Sorry that somehow you missed it or were misinformed.

I'm OK with the pay as you play plan and like the fact the excessive use of coffee and soap by some is not passed along to me in excessive dues expenses, especially since anyone desiring those items can easily use the onsite stores available at every DVC. Prices are a little higher, but not outrageous. They have a very good selection of soap, laundy soap, food items, and even a fairly good selection of adult beverages. If you want any of these items, simply walk over to the store and buy them, what's the big deal? They even have a nice selection of toys for kids. I've been very impressed by the selection they have in the small space available, and enjoy checking them out at each visit. Buying an extra couple of bars of soap on your way back to your room shouldn't be any big bother to anyone, grab some beer or wine while your at it and "chill out".

Hey knock on my door. I'll give you my coffee, can't stand the stuff. As for soap and shampoo I take my own.

A survey of members was done and the results were that members wanted to go with this "pay as you play". At the same time, the charge for changing rooms was also added as a result of the survey.

In reality, I think it is to avoid problems. Think of it as "you may be charged". If you ask a maid for a towel or a bar of soap you may or may not be charged. Be prepared to pay and be pleasantly surprised if you don't have to.

What kicked this off was the example they gave was a woman who requested something like 25 or 50 Mickey soaps to use as stocking stuffers. I do not understand why such an excessive request could have just been denied and the rest of us left alone. However, the rules are the rules. They are not new and have been in existence at least since 1998.

Personally, I think it is cheap and unfair. If you take 4 3 day trips to DVC you get more soap and towels than if I stay for 2 weeks yet we both pay the same dues. Likewise, your kids may use paint or other craft items at Community Hall. I never use any of the children's activities and probably never will. Can't I have a bottle of shampoo? It is an annoying policy to have in place but in reality I have not been that adversely effected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter