Passport

donaldduck352

<font color=red><marquee>Proud Redhead</marquee><b
I got a class 2 background check but no passport,never applied but I want to go on a cruise.What do I have to too do to get one?

Google "state department passport" and get all the info for your specific situation there.

Assuming nothing complicated... Birth certificate, id, fees made out in correct amounts to correct people based on your area and where you will be applying, a picture to specific guidelines, and the right forms filled out.

I downloaded the forms from the state department web site and got pictures taken at Walgreens. I believe that your nearest post office can help you as well. Plan about six weeks for processing.

Here are some of my tips.
1. Go and get you Photo taken. Walgreens does a good job.
2. Get the forms. You can do that by looking online. Most post offices have them.
3. Make sure to start this process ASAP. Do not wait until right before the cruise or you will not get it or you will have to pay a lot to get it rushed.

Hope this helps.

looking at possibly doing our first family cruise later this year. We have never been out of the country before and I started looking at the passport into. I noticed there are two choices either a "Passport Book" or "Passport Card" Being the very cheap person that I am. Knowing that we have no plans to go out of the country, why would I not just save the money and get the Passport Card???

I saw that the Passport Card is only good for driving and Cruising to places like Bahamas, Canada and Mexico and Not good for flying. So an obvious reason to spend the extra money would be able to have the ability to fly. However the only reason I can see us needing that is if there would be an emergency of some sort that would require us to end our trip early and fly back home. With that said, would they really NOT let you fly back using the passport card if there was an emergency situation???

Thanks in advance for any help or insight on this topic.

I saw that the Passport Card is only good for driving and Cruising to places like Bahamas, Canada and Mexico and Not good for flying. So an obvious reason to spend the extra money would be able to have the ability to fly. However the only reason I can see us needing that is if there would be an emergency of some sort that would require us to end our trip early and fly back home. With that said, would they really NOT let you fly back using the passport card if there was an emergency situation???

You are doing well to notice that and think that through. So many others don't. :)

They really would NOT let you fly in an emergency without having a passport book. So instead of getting on a plane and going, you would be sitting in a bureaucrat's office, paying expedited fees, to get an emergency, instant, passport book.

If you want it "just in case", get the book.

If you want it just for ID, well, honestly, there's no strong reason since you don't travel anywhere else outside of the country. BC and ID will work just as well as the card, for the closed-loop cruise purposes.

You are doing well to notice that and think that through. So many others don't. :)

They really would NOT let you fly in an emergency without having a passport book. So instead of getting on a plane and going, you would be sitting in a bureaucrat's office, paying expedited fees, to get an emergency, instant, passport book.

If you want it "just in case", get the book.

If you want it just for ID, well, honestly, there's no strong reason since you don't travel anywhere else outside of the country. BC and ID will work just as well as the card, for the closed-loop cruise purposes.

Thank you for the reply. The whole cruise this starting to feel a lot like planning for a Disney Trip. A first thought, you get on a ship and relax for a few days. But NOOO, there really is a lot that goes into it all. Like Disney, If I am going to spend the money, I want to do it right and try and make sure I educate myself to get the most out of it.

It's in my opinion pretty simple.

Why do you want a passport??
Why a passport and not only a original birth certificate??
Answer: because you want to be safe in case of an emergancy...

You get the passport so that you can go back or stay longer and go back later in case of an emergancy.
Then you have to fly (or swim but i would choose to fly) and for flying you will need the booklet passport.
They will NOT let you fly with anything else then a book passport or a emergancy passport (which will cost you more then getting the book version now instead of the card).

looking at possibly doing our first family cruise later this year. We have never been out of the country before and I started looking at the passport into. I noticed there are two choices either a "Passport Book" or "Passport Card" Being the very cheap person that I am. Knowing that we have no plans to go out of the country, why would I not just save the money and get the Passport Card???

This is exactly what happened to us. A family emergency at home forced us to fly home from Cozumel. The cruise ship brought the Mexican Immigration officers on board the ship and with our passports it was an easy entrance and exit. Get a full passport and get trip insurance. They both are worth it.

This is exactly what happened to us. A family emergency at home forced us to fly home from Cozumel. The cruise ship brought the Mexican Immigration officers on board the ship and with our passports it was an easy entrance and exit. Get a full passport and get trip insurance. They both are worth it.

Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter