Party Planning Help, Please

mskay

Mouseketeer
I just found out we will be the host home for our annual Christmas get-together with some friends. There are usually about 6-8 couples each year. We do pot-luck so the host doesn't get stuck with making everything. I want to give people some direction on what to bring so we don't end up with too much of one course (last year we had three dessserts) and too little of another (last year we ran out of main course casserole). Does anyone have any idea what to include on the "sign-up list" so there will be enough of everything? I know this sounds elementary, but I've never been in charge before. I'm not really looking for specific foods, but instead the number of dishes necessary. Thanks for any and all help.

MsKay

Hi, I suggest 2 main dishes, 2 vegetable dishes, 1 relish tray/large salad, 2 appetizers, 2 desserts also 1or 2 types of bread or rolls. Each must make enough to serve max. number invited. Is it a BYOB? Hostess can be in charge of table settings, utensils and beverages... I also suggest hostess do one of the appetizers so that something is available to guests prior to others arriving. If you have one couple that is ALWAYS late, suggest they bring a dessert. ;)
Another idea is to give a theme to the gathering.. ie.. mexican fiesta, Italian pasta buffett, Chinese pavillion. etc.. this helps guide your potluck.
Here's to a successful party! :D

I agree with MamaJoan - ask each person to bring enough to feed the entire group. The only change I might suggest is to eliminate the relish try/salad & add another main dish. Since you have 2 people bringing veggies & 2 appetizers, you have the possibility of getting salad or veggie trays from one of them.

I like the idea of "suggesting" a dessert to someone who tends to be late. Can you tell I know a few of those? ;)

Another way of doing it . . . when we have potluck dinners at church, they usually ask half to bring a main dish PLUS dessert and the other half a main dish PLUS salad. Or divide into thirds & add appetizers. You could ask each person to bring enough to feed 1/2 the group if you do it that way. There would be more variety this way, but still provide enough of each item.

This sounds like fun! Have a good time. :D :D :D

I found this in an old recipe book. It really doesn't give the numbers for potluck/main dishes, but it does give ratios for appetizers which is handy to know this time of year.

"As a general rule, allow six to eight different appetizers for the first 24 people, adding another selection for every 10 to 12 people. The appetite of your guests and the time of day or time of year can substantially affect how many appetizers you want to serve. People tend to eat more whent the weather is cold and drink more when hot. Also, guests will probably eat less at a mid-afternoon party than one in early evening"

Good Luck!

Thanks a bunch, everyone. These are all great ideas. I really appreciate it!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter