PART FOUR of Liav and Jody's Excellent DLP Adventure 2005!!

jodyb

DIS Veteran
Liav and Jody's Excellent DLP Adventure 2005 Part 4

Cast:
Liav (13)
Jody (Old enough to be her Mom...)

Part 4 – Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2005, continued…

Goodbye to our lovely DLH room… (it seems the only photo of the room that we had is this one of the wallpaper border! Sorry!)
f5619c23.jpg

So off we went to the Studios. As soon as we reached the outdoors we realized it was MUCH colder today! Good thing I was wearing my son's long-johns under my jeans – I grabbed them when he was packing up his winter navy gear, and they sure came in handy! I also had a big down jacket that used to be my Dad's which I put UNDER a regular rain-jacket of mine. Not really too fashionable, to say the least, but I was determined to be warm! Liav had a nice down jacket that her Minnesota auntie gifted her with last year so she was outfitted nicely, though. Like Laura, I am not a large person (110 pounds soaking wet) but under all these layers this fact was not evident, and I vowed never to be in any photos, which was fine with Liav (the official photographer) anyway.

There were no characters at the Studios gate, which we thought odd since last year there had always been swarms of them… but we thought maybe they were too cold! We walked quickly to RnR, which is our favorite ride at the Studios. We planned to use our VIP FastPasses, but we were told that FastPass was not in use that week because of Magic Unlimited. My feeling is that Magic Unlimited should not have anything to do with whether FastPass is in use… but that's the way it was. The wait wasn't too bad, and after the first ride, we wanted to go again, so we were shown through a short CM corridor back to the queuing area. Now, here is where things went a little wrong. The CM's usually line people up for the cars, and as an empty train of cars comes up, it is immediately filled by waiting riders, and their places are immediately filled by those waiting for the next train. But during Magic Unlimited (at least that first week) it was a free for all! The regular queue came from one direction, and the repeat riders from the other, and they all converged in one big mess on the waiting area for the cars! Once was enough for us in that mess, so after our second ride, we exited RnR.

Believe it or not, Liav and I had never done the Magic of Disney Animation – in all our trips to WDW and DLP, somehow this one was always missed! So this time… we finally experienced it. It was okay, but Liav found it hard to follow. The live CM who gives the commentary in French spoke very loudly and it was difficult to hear the English through the headphones over his voice. This on top of the fact that English is not Liav's first language made it a sort of mish-mash of sound for her, but she enjoyed the clips anyway.
Afterward we spent some time playing the games in the outer area, and while Liav was concentrating on some creative endeavor, Coda sneaked up on her and pulled her hair – it wasn't easy, but I finally got Coda to calm down enough to pose for a picture with Liav.

f5619c31.jpg

After this, all we really wanted to do was more RnR, so we decided to see if they'd sorted out the queues… nope – it was still a mess, but we managed to ride twice more. This time, while still in the regular waiting area, we saw quite a few empty trains of cars being sent off. We were later told that this was due to a problem in the sound system, and rather than send guests on a silent ride, they were letting the cars with the defective system leave empty. Needless to say this held up the queue a bit, but still it wasn't too bad, even with lots of people coming back through the secret passage for Magic Unlimited riding….
Our cars had plenty of loud music, and we love this ride as much as ever.

We always look at the pictures as we're coming off the ride, and every single time, my mouth is wide open in a scream and my eyes are squeezed shut! Liav gets extremely annoyed at this, as she never fails to instruct me to keep my eyes open and mouth shut!! (Well, maybe my ulterior motive is to save the exorbitant price I would have to pay for the photo if she liked it…. Heh heh…)
As for Liav, she is always pictured grinning (eyes open of course) and hands in the air- fearless flyer that she is…

In the store at the exit to RnR Liav made her first souvenir purchase of this trip. A little Stitch to hang on her cellular phone. (We later found out her cell phone has no place to hang it – so it now lives on her camera).

We did not stay for the parade – it was just too cold, and we were hungry, so we left the studios
f561912a.jpg

And off we went to Annette's diner …where we ordered the same food as the other day, and enjoyed it just as much.

After lunch we went to Disneyland Park and decided to do some shopping on Main Street. We both wanted candies to bring to school and work, and I wanted a baby gift for a friend's grandchild that is to be born in February. We found great stuff – Christmas chocolates were half price (and we were given the 10% discount for our AP's in addition!). I got the baby the most adorable Pooh mobile that plays music, and a soft Pooh rattle. We had all the purchases sent to the Sequoia lodge…

We wandered over to Fantasyland and rode Small World. We stayed on an additional time. (Here too things were not too organized – Magic Unlimited seemed to confuse the CM's and what should have been a fast-moving line was pretty stalled, and a lot of empty or almost empty boats went into the ride…

We also rode Dumbo and the Teacups (we really love all these Fantasyland kiddie rides), and then it was time to walk back to the Castle Club for tea.
We had our last lovely rest in the Castle Club lounge over delicious cakes and coffee. Someone had opened the windows and we could see the floats of the Princess Parade and hear the music as the parade disappeared off to the side of Main Street…
and then we said our final (for this trip!) goodbyes to CC and DLH.

f5619c32.jpg

As we walked through the village toward the Sequoia we shopped some more – Liav got a pair of pajamas and I got my yearly DLP mug…

When we got to Sequoia Lodge it was dark and starting to pour rain!!
We ran into the SL lobby just as a downpour started.

Even though we'd now been exposed to and spoiled by the DLH and CC, we were pleased to be at the SL, which is also dear to our hearts. We had great memories from our week's stay last year here, and it was like "coming home"! :D
And guess what – Christmas decorations were all still intact and lit!!!! Gorgeous! (And this was Tuesday, two days after official end of Christmas… stay tuned….)

I went to check in, confident that our luggage had been delivered as promised, to our new room. There were two unpleasant surprises now. First, we had been assigned a room in the farthest lodge from the main building (forgot name of lodge, sorry), and our luggage was in the luggage room, and we would have to take it to the room ourselves! I explained that one of the bags is too large for me to handle alone, and especially not in the rain – could they lend me a cart? Maybe in a few hours… very busy…..
Hmmmmm.
I inquired about the possibility of a room in the main building, but was told these rooms are extra charge. (However last January we had stayed 7 nights in the main building for absolutely no extra charge…apparently they are operating at higher capacity this year!) I must have looked extremely crestfallen, because the CM called a manager, and after a lively French conversation which I did not understand except for the repetition of the word "chambre"… the manager kindly made me the following offer. He would see that our luggage was brought to the room in the outer lodge within the next 15 minutes, AND we would only have to stay there one night. Tomorrow we could leave our luggage in the room, and it would be transferred to a Montana room for the duration of our stay (another 4 nights). Would this be acceptable? He apologized for not being able to give us a Montana room that night but they were absolutely at full capacity. Well! Of course this was very nice and I accepted gratefully! :jumping4:

Off we went through the rain and found our room in the outer reaches of the SL grounds. It was a bit depressing in that building I have to admit, and I was glad it was only for one night. There was absolutely not a bit of "magic" at all… but at this point it was just to shower and sleep, and the luggage was delivered promptly as promised.
We got into our cozy jammies and watched a Disney movie on TV (remember, this is a rare pleasure for us)…

My last words to Liav as we drifted off to sleep were…. "We're not in Castle Club anymore, Toto…."

:flower1: :D :flower1: :D :flower1:

Love the photograph of Coda. When we tried in the summer the CM dragged him away just as we arrived.

Enjoying your report so far. For me the comparison with CC and Sequoia lodge will be interesting. :) :flower1:

Reid

RNR was just as disorganised at Christmas time. We were used to the organised rides, like Indy, BTM, and SM. Where the CMs would tell you which line to stand in front of. At RNR, apart from the fact that there was NO FASTPASS operating and a queue of about 30 minutes, there weren't any CMs there. People were just expected to get in all by themselves. And of course there was a big queue, of French teenagers, for the front seats.

In the contaxt of it all, it was no big deal. But something that Disney definitely could inprove on.

WDS does seem to generally be less well run/organised than DLP.

jodyb said:
Tomorrow we could leave our luggage in the room, and it would be transferred to a Montana room for the duration of our stay (another 4 nights).
Off we went through the rain and found our room in the outer reaches of the SL grounds. It was a bit depressing in that building I have to admit, and I was glad it was only for one night. There was absolutely not a bit of "magic" at all…

WOW !!!!! So you had a Montana room for free ? NICE ! we had paid for ours, though we thougth it was worth it : being able to walk to have breakfast or dinner or to rest in Redwood lounge ... wearing just jeans and a pull ( AND no boots !!) .....was sooooooo comfortable !!!!!!

Didn't realize the outer lodges are "in the woods"; I thought you can reach each of them through "covered" passages - like the one leading to their pool.
Quelle domage !!!
Hope after that first night ...everything went smooth at SL !

LOVED THE PIC WITH LIAV AND KODA !!!!!!!
I would have said Liav is older than her age !!!! beautiful girl !!!

MORE, please, as soon as you can; I feel at SL with you !!!!

laura :jumping4: :Pinkbounc

Laura, actually you are right. There is a way to walk through the various buildings, and you can *almost* avoid getting wet (if it's raining) by doing this, but they did not tell us that and I discovered it by accident only the next morning! Oh well...

Last year, as it turns out, we were given a Montana room without even knowing that it was an upgrade! I think that is because last January attendence in the hotel was so low that they only wanted to keep everyone in the main building and closed the others. I realized that this year there was a chance we'd be in an outer lodge, but I did not realize what a difference that would make! The difference in "magic" I mean!!! The feeling in the other lodges just is NOT the same, IMHO!!

I agree it was extremely nice of them to upgrade us again for no charge for our last 4 nights! (See Part Five, which I hope will be up later today!)

Writing these reports is so much fun! It's almost as if the holiday isn't over yet.... (alllllllmmmmmooooooosssst.......)

:D :flower1:

jodyb said:
Writing these reports is so much fun! It's almost as if the holiday isn't over yet.... (alllllllmmmmmooooooosssst.......)

SOOOOOOOO true !!!
I'm coming from time to time to my computer ... in search of your reports!

I just miss so much DLP ...... and today wasn't a good day !

Laura :wave2:

I know what you mean Laura! Todays papers are full of stories that statistically this is the most depressing day. With stories like that guess the day will live up to expectations :guilty:

Thank goodness for this forum, photographs and trip reports. :)

Reid

Okay Reid and Laura, I've been pretty down today too - I had expected this to be the day that I would feel MUCH BETTER... but alas, I am still quite under the weather with the addition of NO VOICE! :wave2: :listen:
Liav thinks it is just too cool! :D :rolleyes: I, on the other hand am finding it sort of frustrating!!

Anyway, I'll try to cheer us all up by getting into my trip report again, and hopefully I'll have part five up before we all go to bed tonight!

So keep coming back to the computer!
:D :flower1: :D :flower1:

TOO BAD having no voice ! I know it, I'm a teacher !!!
HOPE you'll feel better soon !!!!!

Liav, you are not so good !!! :rolleyes: Come on, give a BIG kiss to mom !!

:love: laura

Thank you for your report Jody :) Great again!

Lovely picture of Liav with Coda.

I totally agree with you about the rooms at SL. We had a Montana room and paid extra for it, but I'm glad we did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter