Parks in the afternoon only?

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
Is this a crazy idea?

My DH agreed to a quick trip after I found super cheap airfare, but his caveat is sleeping in and not rushing in the morning. We will be there during the first week of August, so I know it will rain in the late afternoons. But will it be a complete washout? Will we regret this? The plan is to not get to the parks before noon, and stay until park closes. Thoughts?

We NEVER get up early to get to the parks, so no it is not unreasonable to go in the afternoon. Most park days my kids would get up by 9-9:30. We would eat breakfast then go. We rely heavily on fp+ and going on rides with little or no lines. My first rope drop was in February on a girls trip.

It’s all about what your family wants to do on vacation. Have a great time!

We never rope drop. We have no desire to wake up extra early on vacation, and FP+ pretty much eliminates the advantages it offers anyway, IMO. Plus, the last hour of the park is pretty empty, you can get a TON done. So yes, you can absolutely do afternoon to evenings. It may or may not rain. It's exaggeration to say it rains every afternoon in WDW during the summer. We just spent 16 days there and we had afternoon storms maybe 8 or 9 days. Last year, same number of days, we had only 2 or 3 afternoon storms.

Afternoons and evenings are all I do mostly. Not a morning person. Would rather wake up when I do, relax, take in the resort if I'm staying at one. Nighttime Disney is my favorite Disney.

Coming from a Florida local, rain will definitely be iffy during August. But don't let it scare you. Find a nice weather radar app or just google in a local weather channel via Wifi and make that your BFF. It will be a major help with timing the rain and planning your day. Pack some ponchos and dress accordingly for that scorching August heat!

Noon to close is fine but it’s going to feel long in that heat, that would be my only caveat (other than ducking in somewhere during thunder and lightning!) I would just plan carefully, get in as much AC as you can and don’t backtrack too much

We did this in April-enjoyed the pool until after lunch and then went to the parks staying until we were ready to leave. Used our 3 fps and selected additional ones. It was a lovely vacation!

It will be hot. Otherwise doable.
We NEVER get up early to get to the parks, so no it is not unreasonable to go in the afternoon. Most park days my kids would get up by 9-9:30. We would eat breakfast then go. We rely heavily on fp+ and going on rides with little or no lines. My first rope drop was in February on a girls trip.

It’s all about what your family wants to do on vacation. Have a great time!

We just got back from July 4 week and we closed down parks three nights running. It's fine. We did go to breakfast meals (9:30-10:30) and then would go back to the hotel or to Springs to shop. Then back to the parks with late hours around 3.

This is our normal. No one in our family wants to get up early on vacation. We sleep in, have a relaxed breakfast in the room, maybe pool time. Around 2ish we head to the parks, do our 3 FP'S, and start looking for more. Have a relaxing dinner, by then the young families have hit the wall, the sun is setting and we are ready to roll. I realize this is not for everyone, but this has worked for us for many years.

My dh would be thrilled if I were to adopt this strategy! I'm not sure I can give up the allure of rope drop though.

we're not a fan of the August pm rain/thunder storm potential you mentioned upfront - just too uncomfortable. But...Some people like to tour during this period because crowds often decline

My dh would be thrilled if I were to adopt this strategy! I'm not sure I can give up the allure of rope drop though.

Mine too! Lucky for him we are doing a park every other day so he can sleep in on Friday...we arrive Wednesday with a 7:05am flight and Thursday is DHS and we have to leave the BC no later then 6am. I told him and our 3kids we can come back at 11 and nap for an hour or two before beaches and cream. Or we can just swim and then eat and then swim and go to Epcot.

I don't think I've ever done rope drop - and I've been to Disney many times, at least once a year. We are a night owl family. We never get FPs before 11, except for the Safari because there's more animals in the morning. We sleep in, relax, and it's glorious to not have that pressure in the morning to have to be out the door early!! And then we close down the parks - which I think is better than rope drop! (ha, even though I've never actually been) Nights in the parks are great, and our favorite time to be there. Totally doable, it's our preferred way to do Disney!

You will have a FANTASTIC time! My DH and I often take trips where we have zero plans, sleep in, and just decide to do whatever we feel like at the moment. It is hot in August but as long as you know what are willing to put up with you be fine. We never wait standby any longer than about 20-30 minutes now and are happy to get whatever FPs are available. As long as you aren't aimlessly wandering around looking for something to do the heat is manageable. You will be in and out of air conditioning anytime you are in line, in an attraction, or eating. My biggest issue is that I have to carry a sweatshirt in the summer because I FREEZE in the air conditioning after being out in the hot sun. Duck into a lounge or bar area for a drink whenever it gets to hot. Have an awesome time!

My DH and then teenage kids would never get up. I finally negotiated just one rope drop day for mk, and I enjoyed one morning by myself in AK. We closed the parks every night, and evenings are wonderful. Did shows not affected by weather in afternoon.

You won't know until you try. :D We used to rope drop in the days of the old paper FP+. With the new system, we just don't find it necessary anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!