Parkinson's question

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
Hi there! My DH was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He is only 53 and right now his very minimal symptoms aren't affecting his ability to enjoy the parks exactly as he always has (although on our trip there this month he did say that he noticed he felt "stiffer" in the mornings and that his body felt more tired in the evenings than in the past). We are currently building a house near WDW (it's always been our dream to "retire" near WDW) and will therefore be at the parks quite a bit. For those of you who have Parkinson's or have a family member with Parkinson's what kind of strategies helped you or them at the parks? We imagine at some point my DH will need to use a scooter when walking that much becomes too difficult. I'm curious about how waiting in line is handled by people with Parkinson's. Do you or your family member find it difficult to wait in lines? I know there is some kind of special pass for people who have issues waiting in line but it seems like every time someone asks about this pass they get a lot of angry "That's NOT what the pass if for!" responses. We aren't the kind of people to try to manipulate a situation in order to get out of waiting in line, and knowing my DH he won't WANT any kind of special accommodations but he might NEED it.

I'm hoping it will be many years before we really have to worry about things like this but would like to know how others have coped so we can be prepared. Thank you!

I'm no expert on Parkinson's disease, but have several known people who had it for years. One was until death - but she was into her 90s when she died. None of them had any issues that would have precluded them waiting in lines if they had the use of a mobility device. But some would not have been able to operate a scooter or sometimes even a wheelchair because of loss of hand functionality. But that happens at a pretty advanced stage.

Hi there! My DH was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He is only 53 and right now his very minimal symptoms aren't affecting his ability to enjoy the parks exactly as he always has (although on our trip there this month he did say that he noticed he felt "stiffer" in the mornings and that his body felt more tired in the evenings than in the past). We are currently building a house near WDW (it's always been our dream to "retire" near WDW) and will therefore be at the parks quite a bit. For those of you who have Parkinson's or have a family member with Parkinson's what kind of strategies helped you or them at the parks? We imagine at some point my DH will need to use a scooter when walking that much becomes too difficult. I'm curious about how waiting in line is handled by people with Parkinson's. Do you or your family member find it difficult to wait in lines? I know there is some kind of special pass for people who have issues waiting in line but it seems like every time someone asks about this pass they get a lot of angry "That's NOT what the pass if for!" responses. We aren't the kind of people to try to manipulate a situation in order to get out of waiting in line, and knowing my DH he won't WANT any kind of special accommodations but he might NEED it.

I'm hoping it will be many years before we really have to worry about things like this but would like to know how others have coped so we can be prepared. Thank you!

What would it be that would make it difficult to wait in the line? Mobility issues are addressed by using a scooter, cane, wheelchair, rollator, walker, etc. If there are sensory issues, etc, you need to explain those issues at guest services and you may be offered the DAS. It allows the person with issues and their party to wait in an alternate area for the length of the stand by wait time (minus a few minutes). You go to the queue and they will give you a return time. You can only have one DAS return time at a time.

As others have said the use of the DAS is not for someone with mobile problems and by the time he needs something more then a mobility device Disney will more then likely changed the DAS to something else. As far as now have you thought A bout a roller or he can walk in sit in lines when need

So if he needs a scooter or walker can those be take into the regular line? I know many people with Parkinson’s rely on a walker to decrease the risk of falling and to help with gait issues. I’ve never noticed anyone in line with a walker, wheelchair, scooter etc. Is there a separate line for those needs that I’ve never noticed before?

So if he needs a scooter or walker can those be take into the regular line? I know many people with Parkinson’s rely on a walker to decrease the risk of falling and to help with gait issues. I’ve never noticed anyone in line with a walker, wheelchair, scooter etc. Is there a separate line for those needs that I’ve never noticed before?
Yes most he can there are about 5 rides where he can not and for these the cast member will let you know what to do like jungle cruse you will get a return time and come back to the exit to ride but beside these he will just go through the line there is a stick on this board that has a lot of information

This has a lot of information https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Shoot yeah - just get into the regular line; typically a CM will wave you over if there is a different procedure for that ride.

And Rollators are great devices; not only do they offer the functionality of a walker, but the built in seat is so handy, and most of them have a nice little basket under the seat to hold stuff. Rollators are treated like any other medical equipment if you fly, BTW, and can be gate checked at the door of the plane, and brought back to the door at your arrival city - and like all other medical equipment, it flies for free.

One last thing to remember about the DAS: It is based on NEED, not diagnosis. You are always welcome to talk to Guest Services about his needs, and ask them if they think a DAS is appropriate. If they do turn him down, remember that you can always check in with them periodically as his condition changes, and ask again.

Congrats on your retirement home! I would love to retire near WDW; it is my dream too! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!