Parking Rules/Costs and Tent Arrangements on Tent Site

themojosupreme

No wifi, but a great connection!
We arrive December 28, 2018 for a week stay at Fort Wilderness at a tent site. Our adult kids and their partners will also stay with us. There could be a total of 4 cars needing parking. It is my understanding that one vehicle would be free with the site. What fees would there be for additional vehicles? How many cars are allowed at a tent site? If we need to park cars at the overflow lot, are there any fees? Also, we will have at least two tents and two canopies. Is there a limit or rule on the number of items? We would be on the site however I have seen pictures of small tents on the grass around the site. Are any of the possible rules enforced? We have tent camped here many times and can accomodate our needed arrangements so as to follow the tent site rules and anticipate the costs.

You are allowed up to two (2) tents and one table cover/canopy. Additionally you are allowed one motorized vehicle per site. Those are the official rules. Does everyone follow them? No. Will you get away with breaking them? Maybe. Maybe not. Whether they enforce the rules; or not, depends on a variety of things...ex. who's working in your area, how busy the Fort is that week, if your neighbors make a call about you, etc.
One of the things that people often forget to consider, is how breaking the rules effects those around them. Most people really enjoy the beauty and serenity of Ft. Wilderness. They pay a lot for a site there and do not expect to find themselves next to a "parking lot" with 4 cars or what looks like a "homeless encampment" with a bunch of tents squeezed onto one site.
I think you should think about booking 2 or 3 sites to accommodate your group OR booking the "group camping" area.

We have been wondering about the parking fee for the overflow lot as well. We have 2 campsites booked and will have 3 cars. We plan to park one of the vehicles in the overflow lot. We have called 3 different numbers and spoken to 3 different people and they all gave us a different answer about the cost of parking our 3rd vehicle at the overflow lot. The lady who helped us make our reservation said it would be $19, a person at a phone number we found for resort customer service said $13, and someone at a direct number to the Fort told us there would be no cost to park our 3rd vehicle in the overflow lot. So, in other words, I would love to know the official policy on overflow parking fees as well! :)

Sorry but it appears that I didnt make myself very clear. I am handicapped and pre plan so I dont encounter issues later. To that extent, any help will be appreciated as it has been two years since we tent camped at the Fort and rules change. I want my handicapped vehicle at the site and if more can go there, then ok. We are not wanting to be a car lot. Our 3 kids and their partners are from 3 different states so we will end up with a total of 4 vehicles. By knowing what costs are incurred, we can budget accordingly and may park one of there cars at a local friends house.

I think you should think about booking 2 or 3 sites to accommodate your group OR booking the "group camping" area.

Thanks for the suggestion but as I noted in my request for information, "We have tent camped here many times and can accomodate our needed arrangements so as to follow the tent site rules and anticipate the costs." The suggestion to book a group site is beyond what we need as there are only 8 of us and the site holds up to 10, with 2 tents and a canopy. This is enough for our needs. To book an additional site at end of December and NYE probably wont happen as that time frame has been sold out all year. The reason why I asked for the information was to ensure that we are NOT breaking any rules or "soft rules" as I too spend a lot of money there and I dont appreciate others taking advantage of lax enforcement. The number of cars allowed on a tent site is 1. The fee for any additional vehicles is what I am requesting info about. Also, if I pay additional fees, can I keep them on the site pavement. Or, will we be expected to move them to the overflow. If in the overflow, what is the daily charge, if any.

The reason there is so much confusion about the overflow lot is that they haven't yet decided what to do about that. In the past, it has always been a free lot, but now that they're charging to park at the cabins, overflow has become a hot item and some of those people would like to park in overflow for free too. So, do they want to track and police the lot or just let everyone who wants to park there do so for free...It could go either way.

HERE (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/) is a link to the official WDW statement on parking.

The actual quote is: "Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle."

The language in this is likely why you are getting mixed messages on the fee. It really doesn't address the overflow lot. It also doesn't list what the nightly rate is for a 2nd vehicle at the campsites. The cabins are clearly a "Moderate" and fall into the $19/night rate, but campsites are not Moderates.

Sorry to make this clear as mud.

And I wouldn't worry about 2 tents and an easy up or 2. If you fit on your site and don't encroach onto a neighboring site, I doubt anyone will bother you.

j

Last edited:
And I wouldn't worry about 2 tents and an easy up or 2. If you fit on your site and don't encroach onto a neighboring site, I doubt anyone will bother you.

Thank you for the answer that I was looking for ... it is not clear as mud!! I feel much better. Figured Disney worded their description to allow for a broad interpretation. Don't we all like to have our own little paradise at the Fort and without infringing on others. Teamubr, I see your headed to the Fort in September (?) so enjoy yourselves and stay dry!

Teamubr is correct on this and I see no reason you shouldn't be able to be on one site.

The vehicles are another story. If I were you, plan on the $19 fee for parking, and who knows, you might not actually have to pay anything at all.

And, for the record, mojo,

It's just about impossible to park two cars side by side in a Tent site in loops 1500 or 2000. If they are very short cars they might go in one behind the other with some overhang off the concrete over the tent pad but EVERY side-by-side I have seen in those two loops has had at least one of the eight wheels off the pavement.

I mean, that is, if you follow the rules (as I try to).

Bama Ed

I have been on several sites where my one vehicle wouldnt fit entirely on the concrete, Like so many other Fort rules there is likely some fluidity to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter