Parking Policy Changes for Downtown Disney starting 8/16/17

Give me a can of white spray paint and a tape measure and I'll "design" plan and paint the standard dimension parking spaces for $20 a spot. Crazy how much companies will literally reem you when ggiven the chance

Well you would never waste land to build a surface parking lot in a congested urban area like Southern California or Seattle. Why waste your land building a surface parking lot when you can build a 40 story high rise condominium project and sell the units for $1 - $20 million a piece?

Well you would never waste land to build a surface parking lot in a congested urban area like Southern California or Seattle. Why waste your land building a surface parking lot when you can build a 40 story high rise condominium project and sell the units for $1 - $20 million a piece?

Tell that to Disney! Lol

Tell that to Disney! Lol

I am surprised they are taking so long to make changes there. I mean when Disney is selling rooms for $600 per night at the Grand Californian??? That has to be incredibly profitable. Why aren't they building more hotels there?

Which would you do? Sell rooms for $600 per night or sell two parking spots for $10 per night? Each hotel room could fit about two cars.

I am surprised they are taking so long to make changes there. I mean when Disney is selling rooms for $600 per night at the Grand Californian??? That has to be incredibly profitable. Why aren't they building more hotels there?

Which would you do? Sell rooms for $600 per night or sell two parking spots for $10 per night? Each hotel room could fit about two cars.

At some point it becomes a juggling game of who they alienate and disenfranchise. Raising parking and validation amounts is like a nail in the coffin for aome quick serve/sandwich shops etc. I know previously the most profitable division of Disney was Disney Dining. They could let everyone into Disney for free and make an absolute killing on food. I know from personal experience when my AP's were much cheaper and parking was cheaper I would spend a lot on food. It was affordable to go for the day so we'd eat every meal in the park, eat character breakfasts in the park, buy dole whips, pretzels, popcorn, coffee, churros, hot cocoa for parades,eat dinner in the park. Now that my APs have tripled in price and parking has gone up, we eat breakfast on the drive up, bring peanut butter sandwiches and snacks for lunch, refillable water bottles, enough snacks to hold us over to eat dinner outside the park. So sure they scrape a few more dollars from me for parking and probably get $100-150 less on food than when things were cheaper.

Wow, now you don't even get the regular free two hours without spending $20? That seems crazy.
As someone who has used downtown disney as a meet up area for many years, it is indeed very crazy. If I am going to meet someone for coffee or a drink, we are not each going to spend $20. the majority of the time. I wonder if this will affect the smaller places like Starbucks and Earl of Sandwich. No more just dropping by for a quick meal while passing by.

I can only imagine the clusterfluff upon leaving the lot. People sorting out their receipts. "I bought one cotton candy. Here's my pretzel receipt. Here's my coffee receipt. Wait, I can't find my other receipt."

I can only imagine the clusterfluff upon leaving the lot. People sorting out their receipts. "I bought one cotton candy. Here's my pretzel receipt. Here's my coffee receipt. Wait, I can't find my other receipt."

This won't be an issue because you have to spend $20 at ONE LOCATION and get that location to validate your ticket.

So shouldn't people using the service actually pay for those parking structures? It costs $60,000 a space to build a parking structure. Why should people who are just going to Downtown Disney without parking their car pay? Only people who are using the parking structure should pay Disney to reimburse them for the $60,000 it cost to build the parking structure.

No, the guests should NOT have to pay for parking at a retail/dining complex. That is asinine. Disney Springs has two (soon to be three) parking garages and parking there is still free. I live close to the Irvine Spectrum (retail/dining/entertainment complex) and they have several garages and parking there is free. The tenants pay for the structure as part of their lease fee.

Disney is doing this because they have a parking shortage of their own creation. Their theme park lots routinely get full. Their overflow lots get full. Their DtD lots get full. In a place like Anaheim, with the numbers of people Disneyland is attracting, you need to have parking structures. Surface lots are a waste.

I understand the issue of people parking at DtD and walking to the parks. I get that. But I feel like no matter what you do, people are going to continue doing that. This is a space issue. I feel like the previous 2 hours free and then $12/hr was a reasonable policy to discourage people parking all day there. I'm okay with raising the maximum to $48, because at the end of the day, if you are parking there to go to the parks, you're paying for the ease of access and convenience and that should cost more than premium parking in the other lots. It would not be an issue for people to park there and go to the parks if there were more actual spaces. Disney would even make MORE money from people doing this...because they would either have a TS meal to extend their time, or would end up paying more than the standard $20 parking fee.

I am amazed at the amount of people that think it is not ok for a business to sell it's services. I recently stayed in a fairly rurally located hotel, a hotel in South San Francisco, and a hotel in downtown San Francisco. The parking costs were free, $9, and $75, respectively. It's simple economics. Supply and demand. Land supply in SF is very low, demand is very high, hence, a huge surge in the parking fee. I can complain about how unreasonable $75 a night is, but at the end of the day, it's my choice whether I want to stay there (increasing demand) or not.

It seems like they've moved past discouraging theme park parking and into punishing single people who want to eat quick service at DTD. If a group meets up and goes to quick service dinner, maybe Starbucks, buy a few small items at various stores, they may not each spend $20 or not $20 at one location, but they're still spending money at DTD. It's not so appealing if everyone has to pay those rates to park. Even if we all arrive in one car, I really don't want to have to split a quick service check to get to $20 for a validation if it comes to that. Now I might as well use my parks parking, which they're also trying to discourage for people not staying for very long.
How do they discourage st parks parking. Just curious.

At some point it becomes a juggling game of who they alienate and disenfranchise. Raising parking and validation amounts is like a nail in the coffin for aome quick serve/sandwich shops etc. I know previously the most profitable division of Disney was Disney Dining. They could let everyone into Disney for free and make an absolute killing on food. I know from personal experience when my AP's were much cheaper and parking was cheaper I would spend a lot on food. It was affordable to go for the day so we'd eat every meal in the park, eat character breakfasts in the park, buy dole whips, pretzels, popcorn, coffee, churros, hot cocoa for parades,eat dinner in the park.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on the parking issue as I have no thoughts on it, this is just for all the changes Disney makes as a whole, including charging for things that used to be free (WOC, Lilly Belle etc.). The problem is, that no matter how much they charge for certain things, there are always customers that are willing to pay the price. Yes these changes disenfranchise or push out some customers, but there are always more that are more than willing to pay the price. Until they hit a point that people stop going or using their services, they will keep increasing their profit margins. People are still buying and shopping and yes, paying for parking so of course they are going to see how much money they can get for their product. Those parking spots will still be full, no matter how much they charge for them, someone will always be willing to pay.

Not saying it is right........just that as a business they are going to make as much as they can. If park attendance actually started dropping off then they may reverse or stop some of these charges, but until then, they are going to keep pushing to see how far they can go.

How do they discourage st parks parking. Just curious.

They have begun a campaign, mostly via social media, encouraging people to get "dropped off" by a taxi, Uber/Lyft, etc. They have also changed the drop off/pick up location at DtD for such services to make it more seamless.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on the parking issue as I have no thoughts on it, this is just for all the changes Disney makes as a whole, including charging for things that used to be free (WOC, Lilly Belle etc.). The problem is, that no matter how much they charge for certain things, there are always customers that are willing to pay the price. Yes these changes disenfranchise or push out some customers, but there are always more that are more than willing to pay the price. Until they hit a point that people stop going or using their services, they will keep increasing their profit margins. People are still buying and shopping and yes, paying for parking so of course they are going to see how much money they can get for their product. Those parking spots will still be full, no matter how much they charge for them, someone will always be willing to pay.

Not saying it is right........just that as a business they are going to make as much as they can. If park attendance actually starting dropping off then they may reverse or stop some of these charges, but until then, they are going to keep pushing to see how far they can go.

Yeah its kind of crazy. I always say, if you think the economy is bad, or theres a recession, just go to Disneyland.

I am amazed at the amount of people that think it is not ok for a business to sell it's services. I recently stayed in a fairly rurally located hotel, a hotel in South San Francisco, and a hotel in downtown San Francisco. The parking costs were free, $9, and $75, respectively. It's simple economics. Supply and demand. Land supply in SF is very low, demand is very high, hence, a huge surge in the parking fee. I can complain about how unreasonable $75 a night is, but at the end of the day, it's my choice whether I want to stay there (increasing demand) or not.

Selling and gouging are 2 different things. COMPLETELY different.

OMG OUCH!! Here's how I see that as having gone down behind the scenes...
"Customers are complaining how expensive it is to park at Disneyland. This is annoying, what do we do about it?"
"Make it feel cheap but don't drop the price."
"How?"
"Charge egregious amounts of money for parking in the lot next door and our $20/day will look like a steal!"
"Genius!"
"And while we're at it let's consider raising the price of parking at Disneyland as well!"
"Have a promotion Bob!"

Selling and gouging are 2 different things. COMPLETELY different.

Price gouging is a relative concept, so not everyone will agree whether this situation warrants that title.

Having just paid $75 to park overnight in SF, and then paid $40 to park at Fisherman's Wharf, I don't see Disney's $12 an hour as gouging. Coupled with the fact that there are so many other alternatives, I would classify this as selling. -But that's just me. If I felt strongly that Disney was gouging me, I would take my business elsewhere.

I think the new parking rates make perfect sense.

Disneyland wants people to park at Downtown Disney who will spend $$ at Downtown Disney.

If you aren't going to spend $20 at a location while there, then why should you get free parking?

I bet 99% of the people complaining in this thread are using Downtown Disney to go to Disneyland for a few hours, listen to a band or watch the fireworks from outside the parks. The fact that they might spend $6 at Earl of Sandwich doesn't "entitle" them to free parking. Let's face it. A significant portion of people arriving at the Downtown Disney parking lot actually spend very little $$$$ while parked there.

Earl of Sandwich will continue to do just fine with all the families who are buying $40 or $50 of sandwiches, soups and sodas. And Downtown Disney parking will be more available and less crowded.

Knowing how crazy busy Downtown Disney is on a Friday evening makes this a win for me as a Singature AP holder who can park at Mickey and Friends.

I think the new parking rates make perfect sense.

Disneyland wants people to park at Downtown Disney who will spend $$ at Downtown Disney.

If you aren't going to spend $20 at a location while there, then why should you get free parking?

I bet 99% of the people complaining in this thread are using Downtown Disney to go to Disneyland for a few hours, listen to a band or watch the fireworks from outside the parks. The fact that they might spend $6 at Earl of Sandwich doesn't "entitle" them to free parking. Let's face it. A significant portion of people arriving at the Downtown Disney parking lot actually spend very little $$$$ while parked there.

Earl of Sandwich will continue to do just fine with all the families who are buying $40 or $50 of sandwiches, soups and sodas. And Downtown Disney parking will be more available and less crowded.

Knowing how crazy busy Downtown Disney is on a Friday evening makes this a win for me as a Singature AP holder who can park at Mickey and Friends.

99%? That's a rather large percentage and a bet that would be a poor one to make.

I use DTD as intended: for going to DTD to shop. However even buying food for two people does not always amount to $20. I know I'm not the only one in this thread either. It's statistically improbable that 99% of those posting in this thread are using DTD parking to go to the parks.

Some? Sure. There's always that possibility. I don't get it as to me I would find it far too stressful to park somewhere I had to watch the clock. But an overwhelming majority? Definitely not.

As has been mentioned, this rewards the large groups paying as one, but punishes anyone in small groups, paying separately, or making multiple smaller purchases that might add up to quite a bit more than $20, but still won't count as they aren't in one location.

I know for me this will alter my DTD shopping habit and snack stop. I don't want to take up space in the theme park lots when I'm not intending to go to the parks.

As a silver lining, makes me a little less sad BAB is going away. That was another stop I'd often make and usually make a purchase (again, rarely $20+). Without it there, it's easier to skip DTD altogether on the way out no matter how much I want a snack. I'm also just a drop in the bucket so I hold no illusions me ceasing my impulse snack habit will have any effect.

I've gone there COUNTLESS times, i would say once or twice a month for years and years, on the way to nearby conferences and work meetings for breakfast to grab beignets and coffee at Jim Brennans. $5 beignets taste great. Now $25 beignets? No thanks Jeff!

And I have gone there to do Christmas/Birthday shopping and have left empty handed, either due to out of stock items, wrong size, or I was just getting ideas for later. $20 to look around is kind of steep, so back to Amazon/ebay I suppose.

But feel free to make up wild scenarios and statistics if it makes you feel better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!