Parking at the Fort...Charges Coming?

That's what kills me, they have rules in place that they don't even follow now, so how are they going to enforce the new charging for over night parking fee? Won't people just say they are there to eat or explore the resort?

Total pet peeve of mine is when rules are made but never enforced!! Only on the books for rule followers! o_O

What's worse is when they tell you to break the rules one trip and then cite you on the next. For Halloween, they told us to park our second vehicle on the site, even if it was off the pavement because the overflow and the overflow's overflow (grass area next to unhitch area) was full, then at our next trip in Nov, one wheel of our only vehicle was in off the pavement and we got a "citation" from the ranger saying we had to move it to all wheels on the pavement!:confused3

Last edited:

“whatever Disney does, they will still keep coming”...
Unfortunately, and I've seen this on the other boards too, for everyone that Disney runs off with this new fee, there are 2 standing in line to replace them. And the new people don't know any different. It was mentioned that the hotel industry has been charging daily for guest parking for a long time. I think anything above a Hampton Inn charges. The comments are that Disney is only aligning with the "industry standard". I know the hotel in Phoenix where I was staying did (Hyatt) and the one this weekend in San Diego (Marriott) does. New guests won't know any difference and will think it's just like the big places.

That's what kills me, they have rules in place that they don't even follow now, so how are they going to enforce the new charging for over night parking fee?
This one is easy. If the rule means I have to tell a guest no and have an actual interaction/confrontation, it won't happen, especially if there is no loss to Disney. If it means generating revenue, you can guarantee it will happen.

My question is how do they know if you were staying "overnight"? I just stayed at All Star Sports. There is a gate to get back to all 3 All Star resorts where you either band in or get scanned by the guard. On exit, the gates are open. If they close those exit gates and make you band out, that would capture that you left, but here's the question. There is a sidewalk right next to the exit gates. What keeps you from walking down to the gate after you parked (the gates are only a few hundred feet from the ASSp lot) and passing your band in front of the sensor? The system thinks you just left even though your car is sitting on the lot. I'm confident the system isn't fast enough to block an exit if it hasn't seen an entrance. It could be programmed, but that requires a much more sophisticated system and would delay gate openings and cause traffic issues.

j

Last edited:

Well, stpetedisneydad, you get ONE free car to park at the Fort which you can then drive to the parks and park it THERE for free.

bama_ed, I understand the Fort is exempt for one vehicle. I was referencing ALL resorts, not just the Fort.

I just read on the other thread that the cabins will have to pay $19 per night.

For us, that would be 11 nights x $19 to haul our bikes, fishing poles, coolers, and decorations in order to park in our designated driveway.

If so, that just blows me away...

Unfortunately, and I've seen this on the other boards too, for everyone that Disney runs off with this new fee, there are 2 standing in line to replace them. And the new people don't know any different. It was mentioned that the hotel industry has been charging daily for guest parking for a long time. I think anything above a Hampton Inn charges. The comments are that Disney is only aligning with the "industry standard". I know the hotel in Phoenix where I was staying did (Hyatt) and the one this weekend in San Diego (Marriott) does. New guests won't know any difference and will think it's just like the big places.

This one is easy. If the rule means I have to tell a guest no and have an actual interaction/confrontation, it won't happen, especially if there is no loss to Disney. If it means generating revenue, you can guarantee it will happen.

My question is how do they know if you were staying "overnight"? I just stayed at All Star Sports. There is a gate to get back to all 3 All Star resorts where you either band in or get scanned by the guard. On exit, the gates are open. If they close those exit gates and make you band out, that would capture that you left, but here's the question. There is a sidewalk right next to the exit gates. What keeps you from walking down to the gate after you parked (the gates are only a few hundred feet from the ASSp lot) and passing your band in front of the sensor? The system thinks you just left even though your car is sitting on the lot. I'm confident the system isn't fast enough to block an exit if it hasn't seen an entrance. It could be programmed, but that requires a much more sophisticated system and would delay gate openings and cause traffic issues.

j
Jim every time in the past I had a car during my stay either in a cabin or another resort I was given a card to display in the front windshield that showed the date I checked in and the date I was checking out so I would suspect that is how charges will be assessed It also stated the resort I was staying at. While it was honored at other resorts for dining and touring I suspect had it not been displayed there might have been a problem but in those days Disney was a bit stricter with it's access policy

I think the enforcement is going to be the tricky part. It seems that it would not take much thinking to get around this....so, the unhappy, yet honest, people will pay, but I think many people will not be paying...fun times....

as Teambur mentioned, Hyatt, Hilton, Four Seasons all charge for parking and a wifi fee, it stinks but you're stuck with it

I just read on the other thread that the cabins will have to pay $19 per night.

For us, that would be 11 nights x $19 to haul our bikes, fishing poles, coolers, and decorations in order to park in our designated driveway.

If so, that just blows me away...

I don't understand that charge at all. You are parking in a spot that is specific to the cabin much like a campsite

For at least marketing reasons The cabins are considered separate from the camp sites. The Cabins are considered a Moderate.

I don't understand that charge at all. You are parking in a spot that is specific to the cabin much like a campsite
They are assuming the one vehicle pulled or was pulled by what you are staying in. Which is why cabins are left out.

“After reading some of these comments, I feel like Disney could position a Cast Member to stand at the entrance to each park and punch guests in the face as they enter, and people would still find a way to defend it - and people would still come.”

LOL! This had me laughing so hard! I honestly feel like this is true sometimes. It's almost cult-like.

My first thought was that I am already paying to park at the Fort, usually well over $100 per night. In all reality its just a parking spot (albeit with electricity and water)

Exactly. Kind of hard to differentiate your parking space from your, well .... parking space.

as Teambur mentioned, Hyatt, Hilton, Four Seasons all charge for parking and a wifi fee, it stinks but you're stuck with it
But you can't compare a value or even a moderate to that quality of a hotel. I mean I like the themeing at them, but other then AoA they are outside access doors and value rooms are about the same as a Super 8 or Quality Inn (and I get free breakfast with those ;-) )

According to WDWinfo the Fort is currently spared.

Complimentary self-parking will remain for the following:

• Guests with disabilities
  • Cast Members staying as guests
  • Guests traveling as part of a group or convention
  • Guests staying at campsites at Fort Wilderness.
  • Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities, or visit a resort for the day

I wonder if this means more people will poach campsites as throwaways to use them for parking? How many cars are allowed on a site?
But when they mention campsites, does this include the cabins?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!