Park Hopper vs. Max Pass

I am confused. What disadvantage are you worried about? If you arrive at rope drop you can usually hit all FP rides with MaxPass, as long as you give some forethought to pulling them in a good order. I suppose this is less likely on a very busy day. Arriving late in the day also makes it less likely that you will be able to ride all you want.

Sorry, to clarify I think not going with the max pass would put as at a disadvantage. We have used the old system fine in the past but it feels like if there is a faster and easier way now that people would take advantage and we would have to also take advantage just to keep up with them.

I would imagine the fastpass disadvantage is nowhere near as bad as at WDW if you aren't staying at one of their resorts. All the good fast passes are booked before your 30 day window opens up. I'm looking forward to the DL system of actually having to be there to make the fastpass selections. I love DL for this (and other reasons). I hope they never move to the horrible fastpass system that WDW uses.

World is a whole different beast where for some rides 60 days isn’t even good enough and the people with the longer vacation stay win. (60+4 has a much smaller chance at FoP or SDD than someone doing 60+10). Never mind trying to work all that around 180+10 (coveted) dining.

When ‘World people ask why we picked ‘Land it’s one of the two big reasons we give them! (The other being the tiny distance between hotel/park and park/park for hopping - no bus, no waits, no extra expense to hire a car.)

Sorry, to clarify I think not going with the max pass would put as at a disadvantage. We have used the old system fine in the past but it feels like if there is a faster and easier way now that people would take advantage and we would have to also take advantage just to keep up with them.

I think that is going to be fairly easy for you to determine on the day and based on the crowd level. Many people don't consider the extra cost to be something they want to spend, and a lot of AP holders don't get there until later (like early evening) during week days at least. I have no idea how many AP holders bother with adding Maxpass.

I have no idea how many AP holders bother with adding Maxpass.

My first reaction to that was, For $100 for the whole year, how could you not add MaxPass?! But then I thought about how many people have apparently never bothered to get free Fast Passes from the kiosks. So who knows?

I think that is going to be fairly easy for you to determine on the day and based on the crowd level. Many people don't consider the extra cost to be something they want to spend, and a lot of AP holders don't get there until later (like early evening) during week days at least. I have no idea how many AP holders bother with adding Maxpass.
Additionally, a lot of local APs don’t really hit the rides that hard because they’re able to go whenever. I mean, don’t get me wrong, when we go to the parks with tourist friends, we can totally hit 23 rides in 10 hours (along with shows, food, meet and greets, etc)... But then you also have days like yesterday where we went on two rides in six hours, and spent the rest of the time on characters, shows, drawing at the Animation Academy, checking out the Grand lobby... I have friends who go weekly and maybe ride something once every month or two.

Anyway, I love Maxpass, but it’s definitely not “necessary” due to the locals! I’d pick hoppers and then add Maxpass as/if needed, personally... the best value for Maxpass comes when you have hoppers and can book for the opposite park.

But then you also have days like yesterday where we went on two rides in six hours, and spent the rest of the time on characters, shows, drawing at the Animation Academy, checking out the Grand lobby... I have friends who go weekly and maybe ride something once every month or two.

Anyway, I love Maxpass, but it’s definitely not “necessary” due to the locals! I’d pick hoppers and then add Maxpass as/if needed, personally... the best value for Maxpass comes when you have hoppers and can book for the opposite park.

Interesting! That's a perspective I hadn't considered, since I'm always the tourist doing 23 attractions in 10 hours.

World is a whole different beast where for some rides 60 days isn’t even good enough and the people with the longer vacation stay win. (60+4 has a much smaller chance at FoP or SDD than someone doing 60+10). Never mind trying to work all that around 180+10 (coveted) dining.

When ‘World people ask why we picked ‘Land it’s one of the two big reasons we give them! (The other being the tiny distance between hotel/park and park/park for hopping - no bus, no waits, no extra expense to hire a car.)

This July was our first trip to WDW with FP+. Just...wow. I’m actually a planner by nature, but it was a bit much even for me. I liked our WDW trips before FP+ a lot more. I can’t handle the rigidity of the schedule. What saved it for us was doing all 3 DAH events where we were able to be spontaneous, but those are quite an upcharge!

DLR, MP or not, is just so much easier.

Additionally, a lot of local APs don’t really hit the rides that hard because they’re able to go whenever. I mean, don’t get me wrong, when we go to the parks with tourist friends, we can totally hit 23 rides in 10 hours (along with shows, food, meet and greets, etc)... But then you also have days like yesterday where we went on two rides in six hours, and spent the rest of the time on characters, shows, drawing at the Animation Academy, checking out the Grand lobby... I have friends who go weekly and maybe ride something once every month or two.

Yep, can confirm this too. When we were locals with APs and going Friday nights, we’d go weeks, sometimes a couple months, without hitting the headliners with the longest lines, depending on the season. But we are also ride people, so I think we’d have added MP to our passes and done more rides, given the option.

Last edited:
I’m actually a planner by nature, but it was a bit much even for me. I liked our WDW trips before FP+ a lot more. I can’t handle the rigidity of the schedule.

I completely agree! There's a concept in business called dynamic planning, which could be defined as a balance of strategy and flexibility. And that is how I like to plan for Disneyland (and all vacations, for that matter). I want to be fully prepared going in and have a good idea of what we might do. But I also want the knowledge and flexibility to change that plan based on whatever opportunities or obstacles present themselves. And WDW FP+ works against that.

I'll give our experience from last weekend.

We do hoppers personally and I have a very hard time locking ourselves into a park with no flexibility about going to another. If you don't mind staying in 1 park the whole time skip Park Hopper.

On MaxPass we didn't do it last Friday and we got frustrated.

1) they were letting in so little from the SB line in the early part of the day it wasn't even funny. Like 5 or 6 people go then hoards from the FP line and no we didn't get there at the parks at the crack of dawn (though we did get there not toi too long after opening of the parks) so the distribution time wasn't til later so we would opt for SB. Don't even get me started on us trying to get in RSR when it was listed at 25min wait that turned into a nightmare. The pulling of the FP at the kiosks can work but it was often for a decent amount later and inconvenient time. We became part of this problem when we bought MP the 2nd two days and I hate that aspect.

2) We were able to get by that first day but we ended up just more frustrated. Had the crowds stayed lower we may but not completely sure may have not gotten MP the other two days.

We got it the 2nd and 3rd day as the crowds picked up.

1) FP would show unavailable in the app as far as distribution but with MP it would be available to select. Different pools of FP is how this can occur.

2) We were able to pick up cancelled from other people FP for several rides including HM which was slammed with people and quickly had return times through the kiosks as late into the evening even faster than RSR. This is likely due to the overlay. HM wait times were generally high too. Picked up a TSMM cancelled FP with MP when FP distribution was done for the day. Hyperspace Mountain was also an example where the return time with MP was hours earlier than with the kiosk.

3) There was 1 time where even though we had MP we pulled from BTMRR kiosk because it had a return time right then as opposed to a tad later via MP so it can work out that the kiosks can at times be better--I say that because if you get MP don't forget the kiosks are still an option.

We got our tickets by the way through UT and they were like $650 for 3 day park hopper (comes with 1 Magic Morning) as opposed to Disney directly which I want to say was $710. You can def. save money with a 3rd party retailer which may make it easier to opt to get MP when you feel it's necessary. UT does however now sell ticket options that include MP eith them. However keep in mind dynamic pricing is at play so what Disney directly charges will depend on when you go.

My husband's coworker's wife out here in the field in Long Beach/Huntington Beach was aghast that we even went to DLR 3 days in a row. She was like I can't imagine doing that.

To which I replied well I'd be like that with my local amusement park too. But ya know when you're a tourist who isn't planning on coming back often you tend to make a different style of trip. To that coworker's wife she would just come down for a day several times in a month. That's obviously totally different feeling you get when it comes to what you want to accomplish in a given day compared to the tourist.

My husband's coworker's wife out here in the field in Long Beach/Huntington Beach was aghast that we even went to DLR 3 days in a row. She was like I can't imagine doing that.

To which I replied well I'd be like that with my local amusement park too. But ya know when you're a tourist who isn't planning on coming back often you tend to make a different style of trip. To that coworker's wife she would just come down for a day several times in a month. That's obviously totally different feeling you get when it comes to what you want to accomplish in a given day compared to the tourist.

I was a local AP holder for 5 years. I have fantastic memories of those times, but I actually like going as a tourist more. I love being immersed for a day or two (or three this trip) rather than just stopping by for a couple hours after work on a Friday or on a Sunday afternoon when I’m distracted by work the next morning.

I'll give our experience from last weekend.

We do hoppers personally and I have a very hard time locking ourselves into a park with no flexibility about going to another. If you don't mind staying in 1 park the whole time skip Park Hopper.

On MaxPass we didn't do it last Friday and we got frustrated.

1) they were letting in so little from the SB line in the early part of the day it wasn't even funny. Like 5 or 6 people go then hoards from the FP line and no we didn't get there at the parks at the crack of dawn (though we did get there not toi too long after opening of the parks) so the distribution time wasn't til later so we would opt for SB. Don't even get me started on us trying to get in RSR when it was listed at 25min wait that turned into a nightmare. The pulling of the FP at the kiosks can work but it was often for a decent amount later and inconvenient time. We became part of this problem when we bought MP the 2nd two days and I hate that aspect.

2) We were able to get by that first day but we ended up just more frustrated. Had the crowds stayed lower we may but not completely sure may have not gotten MP the other two days.

We got it the 2nd and 3rd day as the crowds picked up.

1) FP would show unavailable in the app as far as distribution but with MP it would be available to select. Different pools of FP is how this can occur.

2) We were able to pick up cancelled from other people FP for several rides including HM which was slammed with people and quickly had return times through the kiosks as late into the evening even faster than RSR. This is likely due to the overlay. HM wait times were generally high too. Picked up a TSMM cancelled FP with MP when FP distribution was done for the day. Hyperspace Mountain was also an example where the return time with MP was hours earlier than with the kiosk.

3) There was 1 time where even though we had MP we pulled from BTMRR kiosk because it had a return time right then as opposed to a tad later via MP so it can work out that the kiosks can at times be better--I say that because if you get MP don't forget the kiosks are still an option.

We got our tickets by the way through UT and they were like $650 for 3 day park hopper (comes with 1 Magic Morning) as opposed to Disney directly which I want to say was $710. You can def. save money with a 3rd party retailer which may make it easier to opt to get MP when you feel it's necessary. UT does however now sell ticket options that include MP eith them. However keep in mind dynamic pricing is at play so what Disney directly charges will depend on when you go.
I do just want to point out that there are not actually different FP pools for FPs pulled via the app vs via a machine. The time discrepancies (such as hours-earlier) are due to FP cancellations. Sometimes large blocks are cancelled, which can keep the app with an earlier time for span of several minutes, but once they’re gone, the app return times will match the machines again.

I do just want to point out that there are not actually different FP pools for FPs pulled via the app vs via a machine. The time discrepancies (such as hours-earlier) are due to FP cancellations. Sometimes large blocks are cancelled, which can keep the app with an earlier time for span of several minutes, but once they’re gone, the app return times will match the machines again.
Hmm I've heard it multiple times that there are different pools. I'm sure there's overlap of availability just like at WDW between app and kiosk . 2 trips down 6months apart with 5 out of 6 days with MP and my experience seems to correlate this. Way too many FP selections via MP not available via the kiosks which rarely seemed to match up with the kiosks and not just small changes. Like we would look at the FP selections and then actually go through the process with MP and it was just totally different all the time for many of the rides. This was the case throughout the days. Either that or we're total flukes lol. In either case just giving our experience :-)

For sure people cancel which allows for pick up of previously not available FP totally agree there.

2 here. Why wouldn’t you? It’s a huge advantage.

Hmm I've heard it multiple times that there are different pools. I'm sure there's overlap of availability just like at WDW between app and kiosk . 2 trips down 6months apart with 5 out of 6 days with MP and my experience seems to correlate this. Way too many FP selections via MP not available via the kiosks which rarely seemed to match up with the kiosks and not just small changes. Like we would look at the FP selections and then actually go through the process with MP and it was just totally different all the time for many of the rides. This was the case throughout the days. Either that or we're total flukes lol. In either case just giving our experience :-)

For sure people cancel which allows for pick up of previously not available FP totally agree there.
It's definitely just one pool. It's not a big deal, but I do encounter people at the parks who have been told there are different pools - then they are frustrated to have bought Maxpass for this reason and discover it's incorrect information.

It's definitely just one pool. It's not a big deal, but I do encounter people at the parks who have been told there are different pools - then they are frustrated to have bought Maxpass for this reason and discover it's incorrect information.
I believe ya. I do think there seems to be more at play than just straight up cancellations. We just had such differences with the app and MP and the kiosks for something not to be up. I could go on about our experiences but I didn't mean to create a whoopla about it and don't want this thread to just become about it all:)

2 here. Why wouldn’t you? It’s a huge advantage.
For what the APs cost adding on MP is a real bargain IMO at the moment and it doesn't take too many days for one to break even. At the current $15per day it would be 7 days where you'd come out ahead getting it through the AP add on vs adding it on day by day.

Plus for the AP holder that just comes during the evening when doing it through the AP add on it wouldn't make the cost seem that much because for the value one could just divide the $100 by how many days their AP is good for to see how much per day their real cost is. For pennies on the dollar I'd see more value in that as opposed to looking at it like "welp it's 6pm and that $15 is real steep to get much usage out it." if that makes sense.

I think it probably comes down to how cost prohibitive it all makes it for someone because of how much the APs cost. If you plan on actually using MP at least 7 days while your AP is good for you're golden. If not it may not be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter