Park Entertainment Cuts Have Been Confirmed

We saw the Muppets show twice, very disappointed it`s being cancelled. Does Disney have any excuse for getting rid of this popular show (and no, random budget cuts is no excuse!)

As for the new Lightning McQueen show, we haven`t had a chance to see it, but I guess it`s a bust. Was it supposed to be temporary?

I’m devastated about the Muppets, guess I’ll just have to see it on YouTube from now on. I won’t be back until November. :(

The Lightning McQueen dance party I legitimately ha no idea existed. I caught the show itself when I had time to kill before a Tower of Terror FP last month and it was surprisingly cute and fun. I don’t understand the hate it gets. Dance parties though, ugh...I feel like they’re all a cheap way to pad attraction numbers with little cost/effort and they’re always dead.

My take is different from most here. I do understand the disappointment and to some degree I understand it. I also see the huge investments WDW is making in the parks, and all of the new things that have been added. It is a shame to loose some of those "little touches" and I hope some of the remaining ones continue, but to me this isn't a big deal. Frankly, I thought the Muppets show was "cute" at best, but nothing special.

Change is hard, a lot of people get uncomfortable with it. Disney has made a lot of changes to WDW over the years and it seems recently they're making a lot more changes. While I'll miss some of the things that are gone, I'm really looking forward to the new things to come.
I'm definitely excited for the new things Disney has in store, but it's these small things, that are often "cute", that make Disney special. Seeing stuff that isn't a set-in-stone attraction are fun and add to the atmosphere. Maybe some stuff like this will come back in the future, but it seems that they've only cut these things out and not repurposed them. I think they're failing to see the value in them simply because attendance may have dropped some.

I think it would be more accurate to say the MK Welcome show was moved and reworked, rather than cut. And some of the World Showcase performers you listed were rotated out and eventually replaced.

But I agree that World Showcase Players were never replaced. They were there for decades, and I never saw them fail to attract a crowd.

And some that you missed:
  • Future Corps drum & bugle corps at Epcot
  • The strength acrobats on the Epcot Fountain Stage
  • All the roving robot characters (including Muppet Labs) at Epcot over the years
  • Hollywood Hit Men band at DHS
  • Ding-a-Ling Sisters at DHS (that's going back a few years, but one of my faves)
And I miss all of the great Christmas entertainment that used to be at Epcot, including the Lights of Winter, the international tree lighting ceremony, the guy that played Carol of the Bells on a portable carillon, and now the Fountain Shows as well.
Years ago they had Steel Drum players in Adventureland. I miss them. So much atmosphere they added.

Like so many others, I was thrilled to see a spontaneous type of quality show such as The Muppets in that area of the MK> It reminded me of the "old days" when random entertainment was around. It made you feel special that Disney included this "free" entertaining show. We found it while walking around one day. It was delightful, funny, and informative (with a twist:) about American history. It is a shame that the powers that be are cancelling this fun show. When we saw it, I thought, Disney is finally getting something right! Now, it will be stopped because corporate Disney isn't making enough money???
Universal is looking better and better all the time.
I intend to write to GS about this, and I hope others who love the Muppets in History write too. Maybe they will listen and change their minds? But they won't know if we don't let them know.

Apologies if this was already mentioned in the last couple pages through which I have not yet read. We need to also suggest in our letters to GS that if it were listed on the times guides/map then it would get more interest. A "few clicks away" on the app is too many for some, especially those for whom vacation means not carrying around their device. Maybe they'll hear us and try it again with show times listed so that it can be given a fair shot. Forgive the non-Disney reference, but The Muppets shouldn't throw away their shot!

I think it would be more accurate to say the MK Welcome show was moved and reworked, rather than cut. And some of the World Showcase performers you listed were rotated out and eventually replaced.

But I agree that World Showcase Players were never replaced. They were there for decades, and I never saw them fail to attract a crowd.

And some that you missed:
  • Future Corps drum & bugle corps at Epcot
  • The strength acrobats on the Epcot Fountain Stage
  • All the roving robot characters (including Muppet Labs) at Epcot over the years
  • Hollywood Hit Men band at DHSi Dng-a-Ling Sisters at DHS (that's going back a few years, but one of my faves)
And I miss all of the great Christmas entertainment that used to be at Epcot, including the Lights of Winter, the international tree lighting ceremony, the guy that played Carol of the Bells on a portable carillon, and now the Fountain Shows as well.

Don't forget Orisi-Risi between China and Germany and the best Epcot holiday storytellers in Mexico - The Three Kings. You can't consider what they do in Mexico for holiday storyteller now even close, so to me their "replacement" doesn't count.

(If you're looking for the carillon - we usually see Cast in Bronze every year at the Texas Renaissance Faire outside of Houston.)

I wrote to George Kalogridis a few days ago and got a response the same day (from his assistant). It’s such an eye-roll inducing response:

“Finally, at this time, we do not have plans to make an announcement regarding changes to The Muppets Present…Great Moments in American History. We apologize for any confusion.”

:sad2::sad2::sad2:

I agree with everyone that said it’s the CMs and live entertainers and these “little” shows that set Disney apart. Very sad to see but our family will be taking our dollars elsewhere.

Very disappointed to hear the muppets show closing. That was always fun to watch.
Most of the other changes they are talking about, i don't really care about, but the muppets was fun and very clever.

To me it wouldn't be a big deal If they were replacing with something else but this trend has been happening for a while and it's disheartening that the little touches are going away every year.

With the list that you provided, I have to admit you're far more of an expert than I am on the entertainment offerings. To be honest, I don't think I've seen most of the shows on that list at all and I certainly can't name the more obscure stuff that's been added in the last ten years either. I want to careful of buying into the doom and gloom too. I see atmospheric entertainment everywhere, so it can't be only going down in one direction.

I guess my point is more that these boards tend to have a bias toward noticing when budgets are cut and not when spending is expanded. The working assumption people have is that Disney cuts and cuts and cuts in general. If it's not cuts in the shows, it's cuts in housekeeping, lotion at the resorts, attractions staff during early morning hours, etc.. All of which are valid complaints when they negatively impact the WDW experience. But is the WDW experience really getting worse all the time? Is spending really less every year?

There's a well known psychological truth that people mourn the things they lose for much longer than they celebrate the things they gain. And while I agree that I'd like to see a new nighttime parade at MK, and that's a glaring loss of my own childhood memories (that I thankfully still get to enjoy at Disneyland), I respectfully guess that Disney has added a lot of stuff that people aren't giving credit for nearly as much as they talk about things that were taken away... until they're taken away again.

Impending Entertainment cuts have been announced. This news is also being Tweeted out by bloggers.

MK: Muppets Present Great Moments in American History will end on October 6th.

Royal Majesty Makers - not exactly sure where they walked around performing but their last day is October 5th.

DHS: Lightning McQueen’s DJ’s Ready! Set! Dance! is also slated to end that first weekend in October.

Kenny has an article with the same confirmed info:

https://www.kennythepirate.com/2019/09/13/entertainment-cuts-coming-to-walt-disney-world/

Oh this sucks. We love the Muppets! We didn't have time to catch them in May, and we're hoping to in June.

I saw some other entertainment is being cut back as well, some of the showings of the MK dance parties and the dance party at AK, too.

I'm definitely excited for the new things Disney has in store, but it's these small things, that are often "cute", that make Disney special. Seeing stuff that isn't a set-in-stone attraction are fun and add to the atmosphere. Maybe some stuff like this will come back in the future, but it seems that they've only cut these things out and not repurposed them. I think they're failing to see the value in them simply because attendance may have dropped some.

This. Once you take away all the little extras, you're basically left with your run-of-the-mill amusement park. I can get most of the same MK rides (mechanically speaking) at just about any other theme park out there, for thousands of dollars less. For us, what makes Disney is all the extra little things....that they like to keep cutting.

Sure, no doubt about it. At the same time, outside of a recent "blip" (and only time will tell if that is truly just a blip), look at attendance numbers over the past 20 years. While these changes may upset traditionalists, and believe me to some degree I'm one, it clearly is still attracting more and more people all the time.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see both...grand new attractions as well as the tiny cute touches. Even the cute touches I didn't care for, I still saw the sentimental value in them. No matter how hard we try to forget it, and while you're in the park WDW wants you to forget it too, Disney is a business. They're in it for profit. There's nothing wrong with that. We don't fault Starbucks or Apple for wanting to make profits. While I don't agree with every decision senior leadership makes at WDW, they don't have an easy job at all, and on the grand scheme of things I'm still happy with the overall product. They're not just another run of the mill theme park to me. Six Flags is the true definition of a run of the mill theme park, IMO. WDW still stands apart with the theming, the variety and mostly the amazing CMs they have.

We haven't had the opportunity to see Muppets. Hopefully we can swing it before they go!

As others have said people need to write to the higher ups. Look at what happened with the rumours about CBJ and Tiki Room. OK they were only ever just rumours but it proves they do see stuff.

People need to start speaking/voting with their wallets.

With the list that you provided, I have to admit you're far more of an expert than I am on the entertainment offerings. To be honest, I don't think I've seen most of the shows on that list at all and I certainly can't name the more obscure stuff that's been added in the last ten years either. I want to careful of buying into the doom and gloom too. I see atmospheric entertainment everywhere, so it can't be only going down in one direction.

I guess my point is more that these boards tend to have a bias toward noticing when budgets are cut and not when spending is expanded. The working assumption people have is that Disney cuts and cuts and cuts in general. If it's not cuts in the shows, it's cuts in housekeeping, lotion at the resorts, attractions staff during early morning hours, etc.. All of which are valid complaints when they negatively impact the WDW experience. But is the WDW experience really getting worse all the time? Is spending really less every year?

There's a well known psychological truth that people mourn the things they lose for much longer than they celebrate the things they gain. And while I agree that I'd like to see a new nighttime parade at MK, and that's a glaring loss of my own childhood memories (that I thankfully still get to enjoy at Disneyland), I respectfully guess that Disney has added a lot of stuff that people aren't giving credit for nearly as much as they talk about things that were taken away... until they're taken away again.
To quote Ellen from Universe of Energy I wouldn't say I'm an expert more of an expert-ish. I agree with you that these boards and in general what comes to light most often are the negative aspects and I am definitely against the gloom and doom banter.
I have been visiting the parks on a weekly basis for the past years and even though I like all attractions I am not an attractions person, I always preferred to see a show or some streetmo over going on rides, in the same sense, my kids also grew up loving all the entertainment so much so that my son has made a living out of it performing with British Revolution and my daughter has been auditioning for different entertainment offers.
We have actually made friends with some of the WDW entertainment cast, specifically a lot of CoH and Mulch Sweat and Shears performers, dancers from FotLK and FNtM so I guess I have a more in depth view on it.
Unfortunately the trend has been downsizing the entertainment and while they have added some things new, it's not the same amount as what is going away. I've always said that what sets Disney apart is the entertainment, you can argue all you want but Universal Orlando has some of the best attractions in Orlando compared to what Disney offers but it's the entertainment and the "little touches" that makes Disney more magical, to me at least

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter