Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I am also not old enough to have a high school freshman, didn't we all just graduate from HS ourselves???? I can accept HS more than her being a Senior GS! Now we need to work on that Gold Award.

We are missing orienting since we will be at Disney, but she has friends going to get her info. Unlike some of the PP, my daughter is one of the oldest- she will be 15 in October. In VA, the age cutoff is October 1.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I am also not old enough to have a high school freshman, didn't we all just graduate from HS ourselves???? I can accept HS more than her being a Senior GS! Now we need to work on that Gold Award.

We are missing orienting since we will be at Disney, but she has friends going to get her info. Unlike some of the PP, my daughter is one of the oldest- she will be 15 in October. In VA, the age cutoff is October 1.

I am SO glad my daughter quit girl scouts last year and we dont have to deal with that silver or gold award!

It is so odd to me thinking of a 15 year old starting 9th grade when others are 13 starting 9th grade. At 16 mine will be a senior! I think if they are having a "common core" they should all have the same age cut offs!!!

I am SO glad my daughter quit girl scouts last year and we dont have to deal with that silver or gold award!

It is so odd to me thinking of a 15 year old starting 9th grade when others are 13 starting 9th grade. At 16 mine will be a senior! I think if they are having a "common core" they should all have the same age cut offs!!!

I'm actually hoping my GS sticks with it through to senior and her gold award. She just did bronze last year, but her troop leader has promised to stick with the girls all the way through to gold if they're interested.

Between the differences in cutoffs and redshirting and academic retention, a big age range in each grade is pretty normal around here. My son is one of the oldest, at 15 (16 in Jan). My daughter is at the other end - she'll be 13 at the start of her freshman year and 17 when she heads off to college.

My oldest will start high school tomorrow! I am struggling with it a little since I know that once he graduates he wants out of Colorado. He has been asking us to move to the east coast for two years and he fully intends to go to college out east.

My daughter started on her HS swim team yesterday! Sadly, the team isn't that good so she's going to be a big fish in a very small pond. She knew that going in and I think it will give her the opportunity to be a leader on the team.

DD is also a FRESHMAN this year! Time certainly seems to have flown by.

She plans to try out for soccer and track again this year.

Just back from parent orientation for 9th grade. :eek:
This is going to be quite the experience (Military high school)

I'm actually hoping my GS sticks with it through to senior and her gold award. She just did bronze last year, but her troop leader has promised to stick with the girls all the way through to gold if they're interested.

Between the differences in cutoffs and redshirting and academic retention, a big age range in each grade is pretty normal around here. My son is one of the oldest, at 15 (16 in Jan). My daughter is at the other end - she'll be 13 at the start of her freshman year and 17 when she heads off to college.

I am thrilled that she is still in GS. She is a 4th generation scout :)
Most of her friends are still in the troop, I am entering my 10th year with them. I will have 16 this fall! We keep collecting the leftover ones from dying troops.

Most of her friends are still in the troop, I am entering my 10th year with them. I will have 16 this fall! We keep collecting the leftover ones from dying troops.

That's awesome! I was a Girl Scout all through school, (earned my gold), and I'm my DDs (9) leader now. She's a 3rd generation. I'm also the Service Unit daisy consultant & I work part time for GS so I love hearing when the older girls stick with it! It seems very hard to keep them that long, at least around here due to peer pressure.

My DS is still in Boy Scouts, going for his Star Scout, but I'm not sure how much longer he will last. He likes it, but again, he gets teased enough about other things. Plus he's really into acting and his auditions, classes & performances are starting to take up a lot more time.

My youngest will be a Freshman this year too. We are taking her to Disney next Tuesday for 10 days and then she starts right after labor day. Hard to believe!

My daughter started on her HS swim team yesterday! Sadly, the team isn't that good so she's going to be a big fish in a very small pond. She knew that going in and I think it will give her the opportunity to be a leader on the team.

Thats too bad about the team, maybe she will push the rest of team. Fortunately our high school swim team is good and has a great feeder club. I can't wait for the boys swim season to start, cross country is okay but he's missing the pool since cross started.

DS found out today that he made the golf team! He is so excited, and so are we! It will be nice for him to have a group that he can be a part of when he starts HS....

That's awesome! I was a Girl Scout all through school, (earned my gold), and I'm my DDs (9) leader now. She's a 3rd generation. I'm also the Service Unit daisy consultant & I work part time for GS so I love hearing when the older girls stick with it! It seems very hard to keep them that long, at least around here due to peer pressure.

My DS is still in Boy Scouts, going for his Star Scout, but I'm not sure how much longer he will last. He likes it, but again, he gets teased enough about other things. Plus he's really into acting and his auditions, classes & performances are starting to take up a lot more time.

You don't even want to know my list of GS "jobs"! Currently, I am the SU manager, cookie chair, treasurer, plus troop leader to almost all the older scouts. I must be doing something right since I keep getting new ones. I left GS in 8th grade, but my mom went all the way. I lucked out and do not have to be my younger DD(9)'s junior leader.

Congrats for your son. I think GS can be more stealth :)

Thats too bad about the team, maybe she will push the rest of team. Fortunately our high school swim team is good and has a great feeder club. I can't wait for the boys swim season to start, cross country is okay but he's missing the pool since cross started.
There are about 6 club teams (2 of them very big) in the Madison area. Madison itself has 4 high schools, plus there are nearby suburban schools so it's not like all the kids from the club team goes to the same HS. Plus, we live on the side of town with fewer swimmers. It can be an expensive sport and folks who live on our side of town have lower incomes. My DD swims club on the other side of town with girls whose parents are doctors and lawyers and they all live in the suburbs. She swims club with a girl who broke state records as a freshman and has the National Age Group record for the 100 fly. Unfortunately, my DD never made it onto the "A" team with her as she was at the lower end of the age group.

My DD plans on doing Track and Field in the spring, but I'm not sure if she can swim club *and* do her HS homework at the same time.

My DS started school on Tuesday. The freshmen didn't go to their usual classes because the school had a freshmen orientation day. The night before school started, DS could not find his schedule (I found it in the kitchen trash 2 hours later), could not find his student agenda book that was issued to him at registration (that book still hasn't turned up, so I fear he lost it at school DURING registration), and he said he can't remember which locker number he had (didn't write it down, either). Sigh....

It's going to be a long year! :hourglass

Today is the day! She was hoping to follow a classmate in because she wasn't sure whether to go to her locker first or the commons first. And DD11 wanted a buddy for finding/riding the bus to 7th grade. As we were pulling up, a pair of sisters that are my girls' friends walked up so they both had someone to be with.

DS found out today that he made the golf team! He is so excited, and so are we! It will be nice for him to have a group that he can be a part of when he starts HS....

Missed this last week! Congratulations to your DS! I think it does make a difference to have a good group to belong to :).

Swim is nice in that aspect, because being on a weaker team doesn't hold a talented swimmer back. She can qualify for district and state level meets on her individual times, and as you said she'll have an opportunity to lead as part of a smaller program.

The troop I was in as a child didn't survive the transition to middle school, so I'm very excited that my DD has found one that is planning on staying together for the long haul. They're 7th grade now with 9 girls and my DD is the "new girl" - she joined in 3rd grade when we moved here, the rest of the troop has been together since 1st.

You don't even want to know my list of GS "jobs"! Currently, I am the SU manager, cookie chair, treasurer, plus troop leader to almost all the older scouts. I must be doing something right since I keep getting new ones. I left GS in 8th grade, but my mom went all the way. I lucked out and do not have to be my younger DD(9)'s junior leader.

I may end up picking your brains. As of this moment, there's no one stepping up to get a Daisy troop started for the coming year so if I can find another interested mom I may end up doing it. :eek: Younger DD is in kindergarten (and somehow that makes me feel older than oldest starting high school! :confused3) this year and wants to be a GS just like her big sister.

Today is the day! She was hoping to follow a classmate in because she wasn't sure whether to go to her locker first or the commons first. And DD11 wanted a buddy for finding/riding the bus to 7th grade. As we were pulling up, a pair of sisters that are my girls' friends walked up so they both had someone to be with.

That's great! I think band and football have really helped DS with the transition. His first day is still 2 weeks off, but he already has plans to walk to school with a sophomore from his football team who lives on the next street over, and the percussion section is planning on meeting for breakfast that first morning.

Went to Freshman orientation. DD got her schedule and is happy! The student council put on a No-No fashion show that showed examples of the yes its okay to wear and nope, leave it at home. They did a great job, it was fun!

DD's high school is on a block schedule and lockers are optional. Admin says most kids don't use lockers since they only have 4 classes a day.

School starts a week from today and DD is excited

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter