Parents of the Class of 2019

DS just found out that he got into Holy Cross and Bates. He's super excited! Still waiting for BC and Villanova (which both could go either way) and Georgetown (which is very unlikely - huge reach). Hopefully we'll know all acceptances and rejections by this time next week.

Did not get into Johns Hopkins, no surprise, two of her guy friends got deferred, one goes to a great prep school on full scholarship, the other is the class valedictorian. So competitive.

Did not get into Johns Hopkins, no surprise, two of her guy friends got deferred, one goes to a great prep school on full scholarship, the other is the class valedictorian. So competitive

I'm sorry. One of DH's friends (top 5 in class, National Merit Finalist) did not get into MIT and was deferred from Johns Hopkins. There aren't a lot of spaces and so many qualified applicants. It's tough.

DS just found out that he got into Holy Cross and Bates. He's super excited! Still waiting for BC and Villanova (which both could go either way) and Georgetown (which is very unlikely - huge reach). Hopefully we'll know all acceptances and rejections by this time next week.

Congrats! We have 3 schools left and I expect 2 or all 3 to be denials. It's so hard to wait.

I’m in watching for dorm deals mode.
Target had freezer fridge combo this week on sale.
Aldi’s has a stackable wood metal organizer marked done to $20 this week.
Target has some office supplies clearance now.
Everyone has winter wear marked down, I picked up boots for DS.
Today is DS’s home school, largest all music competition, seniors ~ last time to perform is today.

Well, NEU was a no-go. We knew it was a bit of a stretch, especially since they're another school focusing on yield and tracking applicant interest. DD didn't show a lot of that - it was basically a matter of looking for other Boston-area schools that checked her boxes because she liked the city so much.

We're still waiting on three more, but two have started slipping down DD's mental list as time has gone by and I expect the one she still likes to be a rejection. She applied to Bryn Mawr because she loved the women's college atmosphere at Wellesley but is having doubts about their programs in her major - a lot of their science programs are held on the campus of a co-ed partner school, which kind of lessens the advantage of being at a women's college. And while Tulane has a perfect location and great programs in her major, she never seemed all that excited about it, I think because it makes a lot of "party school" lists despite the selectivity and Greek life is pretty big on campus. So I think her decision will be made on Wednesday with the Wellesley release.

Of the acceptances we have so far, San Francisco is a clear front-runner and the USF financial package looks the most promising. She got $24K/year, the highest automatic merit award, and the need based awards will come out on Thursday. If they're in line with the NPC and her admission counselor's estimates, USF will be the winner. Loyola offered some merit aid but their need based offer was terrible so we'd still have about $25K/year to come up with. The only big worry with USF is that they don't guarantee housing for upperclassmen, and the prospect of dealing with roommates and off-campus apartments is a bit daunting.

I seriously don't know if I did something wrong on the FAFSA or what. (although, really, what could you do?) We're not getting any need based aid. And I don't think we would *anywhere*. Our EFC was about three times the full COA price of our state schools. We are not wealthy people, by any means.

Good luck to all the kids who are getting their final acceptances now.

DS and I went to an admitted student event for the other college in his top 2 yesterday. We did admitted students' day at the other top choice in February. Both programs have some really cool things that the other doesn't offer. The school settings are very different from each other. DS wanted a larger school -- one is large. The other is huge. One is very urban, the other is rural/college town. He's got to decide which one's a better fit for him and I don't think he knows/doesn't want to think about it.

For one, there's no benefit to accepting early (except your housing paperwork, etc, is due May 2, so if you wait till May 1 to decide, you have to fill out the paperwork quickly.) For the other, your housing priority is based on when you pay your acceptance fee, so the earlier the better.

I seriously don't know if I did something wrong on the FAFSA or what. (although, really, what could you do?) We're not getting any need based aid. And I don't think we would *anywhere*. Our EFC was about three times the full COA price of our state schools. We are not wealthy people, by any means.

Good luck to all the kids who are getting their final acceptances now.

DS and I went to an admitted student event for the other college in his top 2 yesterday. We did admitted students' day at the other top choice in February. Both programs have some really cool things that the other doesn't offer. The school settings are very different from each other. DS wanted a larger school -- one is large. The other is huge. One is very urban, the other is rural/college town. He's got to decide which one's a better fit for him and I don't think he knows/doesn't want to think about it.

For one, there's no benefit to accepting early (except your housing paperwork, etc, is due May 2, so if you wait till May 1 to decide, you have to fill out the paperwork quickly.) For the other, your housing priority is based on when you pay your acceptance fee, so the earlier the better.

Good luck with the decision!

Did not get into Johns Hopkins, no surprise, two of her guy friends got deferred, one goes to a great prep school on full scholarship, the other is the class valedictorian. So competitive.

I'm sorry to hear this, but she has some great choices so far from what you've posted here!

I'm sorry. One of DH's friends (top 5 in class, National Merit Finalist) did not get into MIT and was deferred from Johns Hopkins. There aren't a lot of spaces and so many qualified applicants. It's tough.

Congrats! We have 3 schools left and I expect 2 or all 3 to be denials. It's so hard to wait.

It is so hard to wait. I hope you get some good news!

Well, NEU was a no-go. We knew it was a bit of a stretch, especially since they're another school focusing on yield and tracking applicant interest. DD didn't show a lot of that - it was basically a matter of looking for other Boston-area schools that checked her boxes because she liked the city so much.

We're still waiting on three more, but two have started slipping down DD's mental list as time has gone by and I expect the one she still likes to be a rejection. She applied to Bryn Mawr because she loved the women's college atmosphere at Wellesley but is having doubts about their programs in her major - a lot of their science programs are held on the campus of a co-ed partner school, which kind of lessens the advantage of being at a women's college. And while Tulane has a perfect location and great programs in her major, she never seemed all that excited about it, I think because it makes a lot of "party school" lists despite the selectivity and Greek life is pretty big on campus. So I think her decision will be made on Wednesday with the Wellesley release.

Of the acceptances we have so far, San Francisco is a clear front-runner and the USF financial package looks the most promising. She got $24K/year, the highest automatic merit award, and the need based awards will come out on Thursday. If they're in line with the NPC and her admission counselor's estimates, USF will be the winner. Loyola offered some merit aid but their need based offer was terrible so we'd still have about $25K/year to come up with. The only big worry with USF is that they don't guarantee housing for upperclassmen, and the prospect of dealing with roommates and off-campus apartments is a bit daunting.

Good luck with Wellesley. Sending positive vibes your way.

I think he's made a decision!

On the way home from the admitted student's visit, I urged him to really think about what the different options have to offer and where he sees himself being successful. (He hasn't really been too excited about thinking about it/talking about it, etc. He's narrowed it down tot he top two, but beyond that...)

Anyway, I urged him to set a date in his mind during which he'd make a decision -- maybe by this Friday, the start of spring break. Then, live with it for a week or so. If he's still confident in his decision by the end of spring break, we'll put money down. If he's not then we'll figure out what to do next -- revisit, ask more questions, whatever. I just don't want him waiting till the last minute and making a knee-jerk decision because the deadline is looming.

This morning he said "I think I've made my decision..." The school he's (tentatively) chosen doesn't offer any benefit for accepting early, so we're still going to wait till after spring break to pay the deposit... but I am glad he's made a decision. Unfortunately, it's the one that's farther away from here (about 2.5 hours... so not "far" in the grand scheme of things, but the other option was close enough that he could have come home for dinner if he wanted to. But, I do think he's making a good decision. Hopefully it will "stick.")

I think he's made a decision!

On the way home from the admitted student's visit, I urged him to really think about what the different options have to offer and where he sees himself being successful. (He hasn't really been too excited about thinking about it/talking about it, etc. He's narrowed it down tot he top two, but beyond that...)

Anyway, I urged him to set a date in his mind during which he'd make a decision -- maybe by this Friday, the start of spring break. Then, live with it for a week or so. If he's still confident in his decision by the end of spring break, we'll put money down. If he's not then we'll figure out what to do next -- revisit, ask more questions, whatever. I just don't want him waiting till the last minute and making a knee-jerk decision because the deadline is looming.

This morning he said "I think I've made my decision..." The school he's (tentatively) chosen doesn't offer any benefit for accepting early, so we're still going to wait till after spring break to pay the deposit... but I am glad he's made a decision. Unfortunately, it's the one that's farther away from here (about 2.5 hours... so not "far" in the grand scheme of things, but the other option was close enough that he could have come home for dinner if he wanted to. But, I do think he's making a good decision. Hopefully it will "stick.")

It sounds like our situations are a lot alike! DS had also been really hesitant, narrowed it down to two, and just last week said he's 90% sure it's the 2.5 hour one (UNE) instead of the 40 minute one.

Accepted Students Day is April 6th, so he's officially deciding then, but unless he really hates something, I think he's just going to meet some of the kids in his class, see what dorm he wants to request, etc. I like the school a lot, and think the program will be a really good fit for him (but of course, like you, there was a little part of me rooting for the closer school too. :laughing: - This "letting go" part is hard!)

I did get him to start filling out a local scholarship application last night. It's not due until April 1st, and isn't a long app at all, but he has to attach a transcript, so he probably needs a week lead time to request that.

Well, he got his first rejection (Haverford). He's not really bummed because only applied there because DH wanted him too. It was a stretch and we knew that. Now waiting on two more.

One of DS's good friends got in (she's ranked either #2 or 3 in the class) and several of his other friends, all really smart, high-achieving, well-rounded kids, did not. I second the "so competitive." One kid that we know who is a freshman there, took 7 AP classes last year and got As in all of them. Symphonic band was his 8th class, which is also weighted but not as much, so his GPA was pretty close to a 5.

I like the school a lot, and think the program will be a really good fit for him (but of course, like you, there was a little part of me rooting for the closer school too. :laughing: - This "letting go" part is hard!)

Yep. I think he's making the right choice... but I really wish the right choice was 30 minutes away instead of 2.5 hours! Seeing him more often, and knowing I could get there quickly if he needed me, would make me worry a little less I think. Letting go is hard!

Last edited:
One of DS's good friends got in (she's ranked either #2 or 3 in the class) and several of his other friends, all really smart, high-achieving, well-rounded kids, did not. I second the "so competitive." One kid that we know who is a freshman there, took 7 AP classes last year and got As in all of them. Symphonic band was his 8th class, which is also weighted but not as much, so his GPA was pretty close to a 5.
Grading systems are all over the place. Dd took 5 AP classes plus an honors class last year, has 4 now, did get a B+ on AP calc (and an honors English class freshman year), and has a W GPAof 4.180 (out of a max 4.2).

Grading systems are all over the place. Dd took 5 AP classes plus an honors class last year, has 4 now, did get a B+ on AP calc (and an honors English class freshman year), and has a W GPAof 4.180 (out of a max 4.2).
Grading totally is all over the place. In my kids' school, AP classes are on a 5-point scale and honors classes on 4.5 scale. However, 89.5 is an A, whereas in my high school (different state), you needed to get a 93 to get an A. So yeah, most of their classes are weighted but in theory they don't have to work as hard for an A as I did. Even though we really know even that statement is fraught because I KNOW my kids are doing way more work than I did in high school due the times being different. And we didn't have weighted grades either.

Well, DD and I are off to Boston tomorrow night to do a tour at UMass Lowell to see what she thinks. We're still waiting on 3 responses, and I think her top choice is in those 3. Of course she didn't get any of the big scholarships from them so it would be a way out of her price range, but we'll have to wait and see what comes back. Out of the schools that she's been accepted to, the only ones she hasn't visited are Alabama, which isn't really high on her list as it's really big, and Wooster, whose merit aid basically keeps the school out of reach for her.

...and Wooster, whose merit aid basically keeps the school out of reach for her.

Is it the College of Wooster in Ohio, or is there another one?

Good luck with her decision. I hope the visit provides some clarity and that those last 3 responses are all acceptances!

Yep. I think he's making the right choice... but I really wish the "right choice" was 30 minutes away instead of 2.5 hours! Seeing him more often, and knowing I could get there quickly if he needed me, would make me worry a little less I think. Letting go is hard!

Hey, 2 1/2 hours isn't too bad, all things considered. The closest school we had in consideration was 4 hours (both Miami and RIT), unless you consider the 3 hour plane ride to Denver ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter