Parents of the Class of 2019

I'm more worried about DS and community bathrooms than the roommate thing. It's definitely going to take some getting used to for him.
My DD actually decided she prefers a community bathroom since they are stocked and cleaned regularly. She won't be at the mercy of suite mates with no backup coming in to clean.

We thought she was settled on the room mate front, but the girl she was going to room with decided against the honors dorm, and that's where my DD is going. I'm not sure what she'll think of rooming with a stranger. She's our only girl so she's always had her own room and really values her quiet down time.

I'm not sure DD has had a full week of school since Christmas either. We build in several days but they've gone through them. It shouldn't affect DD though. They so far are not taking away spring break. She's planning on a mission trip with youth group. When they take away spring break days, attendance is poor.

DD got brave Saturday and messaged a girl that she thought it would be fun to room together and now they have each other on Snapchat to talk more. Hoping to get that settled soon.

DD did not get the competitive scholarship she interviewed for. Haven't heard about the theatre scholarship yet.

This is (I believe) our 8th snow day of the year. And DD is making up all of them because of the district's crazy scheduling. Almost no spring break left. We didn't even get that much, and it was Saturday night so plenty of time to clear it. I guess it's because it got down to 0 last night. She hasn't had a full 5 day week since before Christmas.
My kids haven't had a spring break in several years. When they were in late elementary school, they used spring break to make up snow days and for some reason have not changed the amount of snow days built in, yet have not reinstated the entire week's vacation either. They have 4 snow days built into the calendar, have used 2 this year but still only get Good Friday and Easter Monday off. We call it "Spring weekend." None of us are happy about it. We tend to not going away during spring break but still they need a breather.

Growing up, we never had our spring break, it was always taken by snow days. Our state switched to a required # of hours instead of days a couple years ago. My kids attend (and I work in) a private school, and while we now have to count hours as well, we did not change our calendar--the # of hours required adds up to less than the # of days previously required, so we have about 18 or 19 built in extra days. We never, ever add days on to the end of the year. We have used a day or two of spring break, but never add days to the end and I don't see our current administrator doing it. We did have 2 days to make up one year, and he added 30 minutes to the end of the each day for a couple weeks until the time was made up.

Well, barring some unforeseen event, Western Colorado it is. Deposit on room & admissions is in, and DD has a roommate picked out. The roommate’s family is planning to move to the area (live in Overland Park, KS now), so that makes me feel good that DD potentially has a little extra support out there. Freshmen are limited to 1 of 3 halls in the newest complex, or any of the older halls, but honors kids get first crack at that 1 newer hall. So, fingers crossed there as it’s a much nicer hall & no community bathroom.

We’re going to have to make up some snow days in our district, but seniors are exempt from that unless we end up losing part of Spring Break.

Well, barring some unforeseen event, Western Colorado it is. Deposit on room & admissions is in, and DD has a roommate picked out. The roommate’s family is planning to move to the area (live in Overland Park, KS now), so that makes me feel good that DD potentially has a little extra support out there. Freshmen are limited to 1 of 3 halls in the newest complex, or any of the older halls, but honors kids get first crack at that 1 newer hall. So, fingers crossed there as it’s a much nicer hall & no community bathroom.

We’re going to have to make up some snow days in our district, but seniors are exempt from that unless we end up losing part of Spring Break.
Congrats to your DD!

Congrats to your DD!

This week is going to seem extra long for DS, as I think he will start hearing from schools next weekend. I'm so looking forward to being done with this! DH and I are taking a kid-free mini vacation on May 1. We'll send in the deposit for wherever DS decides to go and then we're on a plane to the Caribbean!

I love my DD17 so much!!! She is at Magic Kingdom today/on her Senior class trip to Orlando, and she called me at 9:00 ET to tell me she was sitting in front the castle with her friends waiting for the fireworks to start and she missed me. That it was a great day with her friends but Disney just wasn’t the same without me there to share it with her. Ya’ll, I got teary. She is the sweetest Disney loving child!!!

UDel -$52,000 down to $24,800 after scholarships
Scranton - $61,000 down to $24,000 after scholarships
Quinnipiac - $64,000 down to $30,000 after scholarships

But, I think Quinnipiac is cheaper per credit for graduate school, plus they gave Dd $30,000 towards that. She needs to find out the chances of getting merit at the other schools. UDel is only 2 years for their program, which would save on housing, the others are 3. I might give this task to DH, he’s a numbers guy. I think Quinnipiac will come out ahead, but it’s her #3 school.

DD received a "surprise" scholarship yesterday. It's not a lot but since we weren't expecting it (at all) nice little bonus. She has 3 IB orals this week-Theory of Knowledge, French and Spanish so anything to boost her mood is appreciated.

Still waiting on schools #1,2,3. Really hope they release this weekend or early next week. I can wait until April 1, I just don't want to :laughing:

I'm so jealous of all of you sending deposits, dealing with housing and getting things finalized! We're still waiting on 5 more decisions, including DD's top choice. One is expected to come this week and another is in the mail and should arrive any day (sadists - they actually updated the applicant portal to say "Decided, check your mail" instead of actually revealing the decision!), but best guess is that the two she cares the most about won't come until the end of next week or the beginning of the following.

I'm doubling down on my assessment of U of San Francisco as sadists. They updated the admissions portal last night so we know she's in - no surprise because it is one of the least selective schools she applied to, and was kind of a last-minute upgrade to her "safety" plan - but they haven't updated the financial aid portal! Money is going to decide between the two safeties so without the financial aid element, just knowing she got in is not really helpful. She is really really hoping they come back with a much better financial aid offer than Loyola did, because USF has a better Japanese program and more field opportunities in marine bio by virtue of their location so she'd rather be there. But since the travel costs would be so much higher to get her there and back, they need to come in cheaper by enough to account for the plane tickets and cross-country drives.

Speculation over on College Confidential is that Northeastern will release this afternoon, and if she gets in I think that'll set our spring break plans. She knows she likes Boston and we've already toured three schools there, but NEU wasn't on her radar when we were there before so I suspect she'll want to see the campus before making any final decisions. Unless Tulane comes back with a surprise acceptance, something I think is unlikely after reading months of posts about the importance of applicant interest on their admissions blog, in which case it might be a NOLA spring break. I guess I'm lucky she goes to private school and Easter is late this year, because it does give us one more chance for a last-minute visit once we have all the decisions in hand!

I'm doubling down on my assessment of U of San Francisco as sadists. They updated the admissions portal last night so we know she's in - no surprise because it is one of the least selective schools she applied to, and was kind of a last-minute upgrade to her "safety" plan - but they haven't updated the financial aid portal! Money is going to decide between the two safeties so without the financial aid element, just knowing she got in is not really helpful. She is really really hoping they come back with a much better financial aid offer than Loyola did, because USF has a better Japanese program and more field opportunities in marine bio by virtue of their location so she'd rather be there. But since the travel costs would be so much higher to get her there and back, they need to come in cheaper by enough to account for the plane tickets and cross-country drives.

I think it's pretty standard of schools to not give financial aid notifications until a week or two after acceptance letters. All but one of my son's schools did it that way - with just one school (Univ of Denver) giving their scholarship in the same letter as the acceptance.

I think it's pretty standard of schools to not give financial aid notifications until a week or two after acceptance letters. All but one of my son's schools did it that way - with just one school (Univ of Denver) giving their scholarship in the same letter as the acceptance.

Word is that scholarship offers are included in the acceptance package... which still isn't here! I guess it's called snail mail for a reason. :rotfl:

I'm so jealous of all of you sending deposits, dealing with housing and getting things finalized! We're still waiting on 5 more decisions, including DD's top choice. One is expected to come this week and another is in the mail and should arrive any day (sadists - they actually updated the applicant portal to say "Decided, check your mail" instead of actually revealing the decision!), but best guess is that the two she cares the most about won't come until the end of next week or the beginning of the following.
I'm with you. Waiting on three decisions and award info from one of his top choices. He hasn't made any decisions yet although he did send in his preferences for the living and learning community (they were due before you actually accept to the school).

We're heading out to Boston next week to visit UMass Lowell. It's in the price range with the aid they've given her, so we'll see. She did get notification that she didn't get the big scholarships at both Vandy and Emory so we'll have to see if they give any aid at all if she gets accepted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter