Parents of the Class of 2019

Deposit is done, it's RIT in the fall for our son. :) He's pretty excited (well, as much as an 18-year old boy manages :p ). Midterms this week, then he's off to DC with a group on Sunday for a week.
Congrats! One less thing to think about. Hope he made it down here ok, we had a lot of snow over the weekend and lots of schools etc. are closed today.

What a bad weekend to be out of town! About half the schools here were out today. Ours are in session. But that's fine. The way the schedule is set up even seniors have to make up snow days. DD got hosed.
That stinks about the seniors needing to make up snow days. Our county doesn’t do that so my DS of course wants as many as possible, lol. I think they have four or five built into the schedule and used one today. We got about 6-7 inches. My younger (sophomore) DS won’t be happy making up days though if they use them all. As it is, the seniors’ last day of classes is something like three weeks before everyone else gets out. Poor thing will actually have to take the bus to school at that point, lol.

That stinks about the seniors needing to make up snow days. Our county doesn’t do that so my DS of course wants as many as possible, lol. I think they have four or five built into the schedule and used one today. We got about 6-7 inches. My younger (sophomore) DS won’t be happy making up days though if they use them all. As it is, the seniors’ last day of classes is something like three weeks before everyone else gets out. Poor thing will actually have to take the bus to school at that point, lol.
I really do think she got the short end of that stick. So later in the semester if she has a day or two without much going on, I told her I'd call her out for a play day. After Calc and Physics of course (first and second hours of the day, offsite).

Mine has been disappointed in the lack of snow days so far for exactly the same reason. - He finally won't have to make them up! (But alas, we're way under our usual snow totals for this point in the winter, so we haven't even had one.)

Deposit is done, it's RIT in the fall for our son. :) He's pretty excited (well, as much as an 18-year old boy manages :p ).

Congrats on the decision made!! My uncle worked for RIT years ago, and I had a summer job doing some filing. - The students I met were great!! (Plus, upstate NY is gorgeous in the fall!)

Midterms this week, then he's off to DC with a group on Sunday for a week... - although I don't know if that will be any better, as we're expecting to get a storm this weekend now.

Is it a school thing, where they were going to visit the Smithsonian and stuff? If so, they've got not just the weather but the shutdown to derail their plans:

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/visit-dc-government-shutdown/

It's a school thing, but through a group called Close Up: http://closeup.org/program/hs-washington-dc

Looks like there's only one or two things that would be affected by the shutdown - the day they do to the Smithsonian

Oh, I think that's the one my DH did back in high school! He loved it, and still has great memories from the trip. :)

Glad to hear most of their days won't be messed up (and fingers crossed things are up and running by then anyway!)

I just need to vent. DS' dog is very sick. She didn't want to eat last Monday and wouldn't eat Tuesday, ate only a little bit on Wednesday with a lot of coaxing. DH took her to the vet on Friday and we found out that she has some sort of auto-immune disease, her body it attacking her red blood cells. The vet said we can take her to a specialized clinic about 2 hours away and have further testing and start blood transfusions, but we can't afford it and it likely wouldn't buy her more than a few more weeks unless we keep doing it. They gave her a steroid and something to settle her stomach and she has started eating small amounts of chicken and ground beef; she won't touch her regular dog food or the special canned food they gave us for her. She is only about 4 years old. We adopted her when she was about 10 months old from friends who didn't want to deal with her. They had taken her from a neighbor or someone who didn't want her but had her because her original owner, his mother, had passed away. She was abused somewhere along the line, I suspect it was the person our friends took her from. She took DS as her "person" about 2 minutes after she got here, and they have been inseparable ever since. She is always sitting with him or near him, she mopes when he isn't here, she watches out the window for him to come home, and she is terrible when he goes away on a trip or something. She just about drove me crazy when he went on a mission trip for 9 days last summer. We have wondered what we would do with her when he went to school, joking about sending her with him because he is her emotional support human (no offense intended to anyone, I promise), but I never thought she wouldn't live that long. DS knows what is going on. His only two requests for senior pics were soccer pics and some with her, which I'm glad are already done. I hate this. It is hard to lose them anyway, but this one is so much harder already. I hate to see him hurting like this.
I’m so sorry, our dog is turning 9 next month and having her ill would be devastating.

I just need to vent. DS' dog is very sick. She didn't want to eat last Monday and wouldn't eat Tuesday, ate only a little bit on Wednesday with a lot of coaxing. DH took her to the vet on Friday and we found out that she has some sort of auto-immune disease, her body it attacking her red blood cells. The vet said we can take her to a specialized clinic about 2 hours away and have further testing and start blood transfusions, but we can't afford it and it likely wouldn't buy her more than a few more weeks unless we keep doing it. They gave her a steroid and something to settle her stomach and she has started eating small amounts of chicken and ground beef; she won't touch her regular dog food or the special canned food they gave us for her. She is only about 4 years old. We adopted her when she was about 10 months old from friends who didn't want to deal with her. They had taken her from a neighbor or someone who didn't want her but had her because her original owner, his mother, had passed away. She was abused somewhere along the line, I suspect it was the person our friends took her from. She took DS as her "person" about 2 minutes after she got here, and they have been inseparable ever since. She is always sitting with him or near him, she mopes when he isn't here, she watches out the window for him to come home, and she is terrible when he goes away on a trip or something. She just about drove me crazy when he went on a mission trip for 9 days last summer. We have wondered what we would do with her when he went to school, joking about sending her with him because he is her emotional support human (no offense intended to anyone, I promise), but I never thought she wouldn't live that long. DS knows what is going on. His only two requests for senior pics were soccer pics and some with her, which I'm glad are already done. I hate this. It is hard to lose them anyway, but this one is so much harder already. I hate to see him hurting like this.

So sorry about your DS's dog.

It's a school thing, but through a group called Close Up: http://closeup.org/program/hs-washington-dc

Looks like there's only one or two things that would be affected by the shutdown - the day they do to the Smithsonian

My sister & I did the Close Up trip in HS. Great time! We also happened to be in DC during a VERY busy week, so that added to the fun :)

He leaves this upcoming Sunday - although I don't know if that will be any better, as we're expecting to get a storm this weekend now.

We are supposed to have more snow this weekend too but I don’t think as much. And what someone else said about Smithsonians being closed....ugh. Hopefully they can change their schedule somewhat and go to the museums that are not federally funded, like the Spy museum. (Which is fun, but not free).

Update: DS' dog is doing quite a bit better for now. She is eating almost normally again and seems to be feeling better. She obviously still has the AI disorder but I don't think we will lose her in the (very) short term. The vet called to check on her last night and seemed shocked at her progress. She will have more labs done on Friday.

We got the financial package from DS' school of choice today. They haven't awarded the endowment scholarships yet but he will definitely be searching for and applying for everything he can find.

Let's talk budget for spending money for college students.
DD will be junior next year in college.
She pays for entertainment and food when she is not interested in what meal plan covers.
To help plan for DS I had her track her expenses/entertainment this year for food. She basically spends $100 a month on food and entertainment.
She has a credit card and debit card and she knows how to manage her money.

Now the question is: DS starts college next year.
He will have saved $100 a month to spend.
He is not horrible with money he has just not needed to have a large interest in it., because he rarely spends $.
He will get a debit card. How much money do you think he should transfer into that account? I don't think he will blow it. One month at a time?

Let's talk budget for spending money for college students.
DD will be junior next year in college.
She pays for entertainment and food when she is not interested in what meal plan covers.
To help plan for DS I had her track her expenses/entertainment this year for food. She basically spends $100 a month on food and entertainment.
She has a credit card and debit card and she knows how to manage her money.

Now the question is: DS starts college next year.
He will have saved $100 a month to spend.
He is not horrible with money he has just not needed to have a large interest in it., because he rarely spends $.
He will get a debit card. How much money do you think he should transfer into that account? I don't think he will blow it. One month at a time?
My kids put their money in a checking account (that they earned). They spend it throughout the year, so far none have run out, although both worked junior year.

DS is going to open a student checking account of his own at our local bank but have it tied to ours so that we can transfer money if he needs it. He will put in the money he has/earns/graduation, whatever. He is pretty responsible with his money.

DD19 and DS17 have had checking accounts for a couple of years.

DD is away at school so I have no idea how much she spends. She has a job on campus and she likes the food in the dining hall, so I don't think she spends too much.

DS deposits his paychecks and has a debit card to get cash or buy things, but he doesn't spend much either. He's been too busy with college stuff and work to have much extra time. We'll see how that changes now that college applications are in. He'll have to learn to budget before college as I don't know if he'll work at school.

DS is going to open a student checking account of his own at our local bank but have it tied to ours so that we can transfer money if he needs it. He will put in the money he has/earns/graduation, whatever. He is pretty responsible with his money.
We did this with dd22, but now with apps like zelle and Venmo, dd17 will get her own when she turns 18 in March. ETA, my kids open up checking accounts after they choose a college, one that has a branch on or near school, in case they have problems.

With DD20 she always had a savings account and we opened a checking account with her graduation money. Then her paychecks went into checking. Not sure how much she spends outside of groceries and rent at cc but she works enough to cover it all. Maybe $100-$200 on meals out, entertainment, personal items and clothing. She has a credit card she pays off every month (we are credit card users rather than debit).

We'll do the same for DD17 as far as opening a checking account with graduation money and probably opening a credit card at 18 as well as having some cash on hand. I don't think DD17 will be able to work as many hours. So I will be strongly encouraging her to eat mainly in the dining hall and doing all the free things. Tell her to see how low she can keep her spending, like a game ;) Chick-fil-A in the student center will be a huge temptation but she will have some food court money on her dining plan.

We use our local bank for their checking. They're not going far away, and I can handle deposits of checks etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter