Parents of the Class of 2019

I asked my son this weekend if friends of his are getting acceptance letters yet, and he said that some are, but none from the schools he has applied to, so he's not worried yet. One of the in-state schools that he applied to (Univ. of Cincy) said it would be early to mid-January, since their early action deadline was Dec. 1st instead of Jan. 1st.

Most applications are in, still need to get 10 words out of a supplemental essay (she wrote 3 of them with over 400 words, I had to edit down to 200, she’s very wordy). She hasn’t heard back from any schools, none of her friends have either. Maybe it’s the east coast? Ds20 only applied to one college, early action, he received his acceptance after thanksgiving. I’m not concerned about her getting in, but financial packages.

That's where we are, too. All apps are done, except for one. He wrote the supplemental essay... and it answered the prompt, but as he was entering it, I noticed that there was a "title" for the essay too... and, although his response answered the prompt, the "angle" he took didn't support the title. He agreed that he needed to write another essay. Apparently he finished it last night, so wants me to proofread it tonight... and then hopefully we can submit.

None of the schools he's applying to do "rolling admissions" for fall entry, so he hasn't/isn't expecting any responses till later. One school promised by 12/15. The others don't promise till late January or early Feb. I read somewhere that most colleges who do early action hold all of the applications till the deadline, review them, then issues notifications as a bunch.

I don't think he'll have any trouble getting into the colleges he selected (one school is not a sure-thing, but he's still pretty well positioned, I think), but some of the decision will come down to the financial offers.

@soccerdad72 - my son applied to University of Cincinnati, too... I read late Jan/Early Feb for their early action notifications.

We didn't talk about college all weekend! It was really nice after the whining she had done last week. Well, I guess she did say she figured once she gets to college the other students would probably think she was just on a visit because she's small and young looking. She doesn't feel big enough to go to college yet!

DD has one interview today, and another tomorrow, since they're off school this week for Thanksgiving it's a perfect time for her. We haven't heard anything more, but that's not unusual so we're just in a holding pattern until we get more information.

Most applications are in, still need to get 10 words out of a supplemental essay (she wrote 3 of them with over 400 words, I had to edit down to 200, she’s very wordy). She hasn’t heard back from any schools, none of her friends have either. Maybe it’s the east coast? Ds20 only applied to one college, early action, he received his acceptance after thanksgiving. I’m not concerned about her getting in, but financial packages.

We haven't heard from any of DD's four either, other than the "thanks for applying" emails and follow ups about documentation/financial aid forms. Her top choice sent email notifications on Dec. 7 last year, so I'm not expecting anything for a little while yet.

DS got his first acceptance. Missouri University of Science & Tech. It is probably 5th on his list of 6 but it might move up if we visit. It's about 100 miles from my sister in law so that's great. We watched a few videos yesterday and he seemed interested in a few clubs. Especially the Mars rover competition. Last year they placed 2nd of 36 universities competing.

It's still a huge relief to have an acceptance and a confidence boost for more to come.

One school, not on common ap, still hasnt matched transcripts with ap. We've read reviews that this school has some administrative issues.

I just wrote earlier this morning that I'd read that the schools my son applied to send batch acceptances at the notification deadline they provide. And then I got proved wrong! My son got his first acceptance today, and it was to the one he was most worried about! It's in his top 2, but he hasn't made a final decision yet. (Still waiting on the acceptance to the other school, but I don't think it will be an issue.)

Congratulations!!!

Must feel so great to have the decision made!

Yes it does!!!!!!!:cool1: She has had her top three acceptances since the beginning of November and i was beginning to think we were going to go to May 1st before she would make a decision! We have a bad case of senioritis, but I remember it kicking in about this time my senior year.

So now to just get her through the rest of honor's physic's without a total melt down.

DS got his first acceptance. Missouri University of Science & Tech. It is probably 5th on his list of 6 but it might move up if we visit. It's about 100 miles from my sister in law so that's great. We watched a few videos yesterday and he seemed interested in a few clubs. Especially the Mars rover competition. Last year they placed 2nd of 36 universities competing.

It's still a huge relief to have an acceptance and a confidence boost for more to come.

One school, not on common ap, still hasnt matched transcripts with ap. We've read reviews that this school has some administrative issues.

That is a VERY good school. IIRC, it actually ranks #1 as “best bargain” based on cost vs projected salary upon graduation. I have numerous friends who graduated from there in the 80’s and none of them have ever been unemployed.

Is that in Rolla? If so, my FIL graduated from there and loved it. (I think it was "University of Missouri at Rolla" at the time.)

That is a VERY good school. IIRC, it actually ranks #1 as “best bargain” based on cost vs projected salary upon graduation. I have numerous friends who graduated from there in the 80’s and none of them have ever been unemployed.
So great to hear! He was put off a bit by high acceptance rate but their stats are high.

He just got 2nd acceptance to SUNY Buffalo. That was a bit of a reach so huge confidence boost!

My son graduated from there last year (Chemical Engineering). If you have any questions, let me know. It's a really nice mid sized school. But if he considers accepting, he really should visit. It's in the middle of nowhere. I sort of liked that in some ways, but not others (mostly transportation related).

Is that in Rolla? If so, my FIL graduated from there and loved it. (I think it was "University of Missouri at Rolla" at the time.)

I was wondering the same thing-my aunt is a graduate and she has had some amazing (and lucrative) jobs post graduation. One year she was one of their "Forty under Forty" grads. Apparently it's a great school!

I was wondering the same thing-my aunt is a graduate and she has had some amazing (and lucrative) jobs post graduation. One year she was one of their "Forty under Forty" grads. Apparently it's a great school!

Yes, that's the one. It was University of MO-Rolla (UMR) for some time but changed its name. It goes mostly by Missouri S&T. It's still part of the University of MO system. My daughter is still on the fence considering it. Her ACT score (combined with Bright Flight) should now cover the cost of tuition. She's still leaning toward Mizzou though.

Yes, that's the one. It was University of MO-Rolla (UMR) for some time but changed its name. It goes mostly by Missouri S&T. It's still part of the University of MO system. My daughter is still on the fence considering it. Her ACT score (combined with Bright Flight) should now cover the cost of tuition. She's still leaning toward Mizzou though.

Was Missouri School Of Mines even earlier - when my grandmother went :)

Wow! Thanks for all the great feedback on MO S&T!

I don't think remote will be an issue-he's also looking at Clarkson in Potsdam, NY and his aunt just 100 miles away is a huge plus!

Wow! Thanks for all the great feedback on MO S&T!

I don't think remote will be an issue-he's also looking at Clarkson in Potsdam, NY and his aunt just 100 miles away is a huge plus!
I don't think it seems as quite as remote to the St. Louis kids. We're in the KC area and they don't have a major highway between here and there. Just a small 2 lane state highway winding through one small town after another. Since he didn't have a car, I got to know those towns way too well!

DD was accepted to her dream school today. No merit money but this was a true lottery ticket so we are thrilled. It’s such a good feeling watching all of her hard work pays off. We had a good talk about keeping her grades up and getting through the year. Now off to check out flights as she’ll be 18 hours away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter