Parents of the Class of 2019

This was not at UMass, it was at one of the other state universities.

I don't believe it applies to UMass, which is harder to get into, especially Amherst.

I edited my post to reflect that.

If UMass Amherst, Lowell & Boston don't have what he wants I don't think the smaller schools will. They really need a better website. My oldest is at a SUNY school-they have a great site where you search by major and it tells you which SUNY schools have that major. I couldn't find anything like that for MA schools. He wants Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineering. UMaine, or if he applied to UMass, he would have to go with Mechanical Engineering. His top 3 right now are FL Tech, Embry-Riddle in Daytona and Clarkson U in upstate NY. His GPA & SAT scores are all matches for the 3 schools but his verbal SAT is much higher than his math. When he went to FL Tech they said they like to see kids with high verbal scores because it means you can read and comprehend and thus learn. Hopefully that works in his favor.

Oh, and he really should at least visit! Besides Amherst, there are UMass campuses in Boston, Lowell, Dartmouth and Worcester. Boston is a beautiful campus right on the Harbor and has brand new dorms. Lowell has a good engineering program. (I can't remember if that's what your son was interested in.)
My oldest took a class at Boston this summer. The new dorms look great.

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances and scholarships DD has sent out 6 applications and received 3 acceptances. We have gotten an acceptance from her number 2 school SEMO (South East Missouri State). She did not want a big school and I wasn't going to push her. My mother, and two of my aunts graduated from there so out of state fee's will be waived and she will get a nice automatic scholarship with her SAT score. We are still waiting to hear from her number one pick which is Truman State. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm so proud of her even after dad dying unexpectedly this August she still managed to pull 4 A's and 3 B's in all AP and honor's classes. I want her to get her first pick so badly as she has worked so hard this quarter.
So sorry for your DD's loss. Good luck with her #1 choice.

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances and scholarships DD has sent out 6 applications and received 3 acceptances. We have gotten an acceptance from her number 2 school SEMO (South East Missouri State). She did not want a big school and I wasn't going to push her. My mother, and two of my aunts graduated from there so out of state fee's will be waived and she will get a nice automatic scholarship with her SAT score. We are still waiting to hear from her number one pick which is Truman State. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm so proud of her even after dad dying unexpectedly this August she still managed to pull 4 A's and 3 B's in all AP and honor's classes. I want her to get her first pick so badly as she has worked so hard this quarter.

Ooh, Missouri schools! We were interested in SEMO, if only it were easier for us to get to. DD is instead going to the opposite corner, Northwest Missouri State! Good luck with Truman.

Hi everyone, question about recommendation letters. Is your child still waiting for them from their teachers? I think my daughter should email the teachers and ask them when they will be done as she has submitted her applications already. I’m stressing about it and want daughter to send emails.

DS just heard from his teachers yesterday that they were done.

If UMass Amherst, Lowell & Boston don't have what he wants I don't think the smaller schools will. They really need a better website. My oldest is at a SUNY school-they have a great site where you search by major and it tells you which SUNY schools have that major. I couldn't find anything like that for MA schools. He wants Aerospace or Aeronautical Engineering. UMaine, or if he applied to UMass, he would have to go with Mechanical Engineering. His top 3 right now are FL Tech, Embry-Riddle in Daytona and Clarkson U in upstate NY. His GPA & SAT scores are all matches for the 3 schools but his verbal SAT is much higher than his math. When he went to FL Tech they said they like to see kids with high verbal scores because it means you can read and comprehend and thus learn. Hopefully that works in his favor.

Are you in New York or Mass?

If you're in Mass, the New England schools have a regional tuition discount - if the ones in your state don't have the major you want, you pay somewhere between in-state and out-of-state tuition in the other state's system.

http://www.nebhe.org/programs-overview/rsp-tuition-break/overview/

DD has applied all over Northern Iowa, University of Wisconsin Stevens Point, University of Wisconsin River Falls, Maryville University (St Louis), SEMO, and Truman State. They are all at least a 4 to 5 hour drive from us as we live smack dab in the middle of Illinois but she refused to apply to any Illinois school.

I really couldn't blame her the lack of budget for two years really took a toll on our university's.

She is taking the ACT for the first time Saturday just to see how that score will compare to her SAT score and hoping for more merit money. I know she will be happy at either Truman or SEMO. Part of me hopes she goes to SEMO as we have family there so there would be someone to help her in times of emergency. But teenagers never think they need that :rotfl2:

Nothing too exciting here. My DD seems determined to put all her eggs in the Mizzou basket. So far that's all she's applied to. She got the acceptance letter but really it's about putting together the money. She's not interested in any of the other schools around the region we've talked about. And the ones she might have been interested in don't have engineering programs.

She's taking the ACT again tomorrow after rescheduling last month because she was sick. Hoping to add another point to her score. If she gets a higher score she might decide to apply regular decision to a couple of reach schools. Maybe Washington or Northwestern.

We're all sad that tennis is over, but relieved that she has more time for school work. And it's great that we get to spend more time with her again.

Dd is the middle of 5, it’s the best and the worst, she’s my stepford child and is on top of everything 110% as always, but then again, I’m losing my stepford child.
Hah! I totally get that. DD has always helped me stay on top of everything. I'll definitely be lost without her. :sad:

Nothing too exciting here. My DD seems determined to put all her eggs in the Mizzou basket. So far that's all she's applied to. She got the acceptance letter but really it's about putting together the money. She's not interested in any of the other schools around the region we've talked about. And the ones she might have been interested in don't have engineering programs.

She's taking the ACT again tomorrow after rescheduling last month because she was sick. Hoping to add another point to her score. If she gets a higher score she might decide to apply regular decision to a couple of reach schools. Maybe Washington or Northwestern.

We're all sad that tennis is over, but relieved that she has more time for school work. And it's great that we get to spend more time with her again.

Mine’s determined NOT to go to MIZZOU despite the fact it looks to have everything she needs :(

Mine’s determined NOT to go to MIZZOU despite the fact it looks to have everything she needs :(
Sometimes you just have to shake your head. But there could be legit reasons. Does she not want to go to a big school? I still worry that it might be too big for DD.

Well you never know because DD was determined not to go to NWMSU despite it having everything she needs, but she had a change of heart and is planning to go there. Let's hope nothing happens to change her mind. Housing deposit can go in on Thursday. She did lament last night that she never had "the feeling" on a college visit that it was where she belonged. I told her not everyone does. Her sister did and I'm sure DD17 was expecting to also since she's very emotional. Hopefully if she continues to focus on the positives of her choice, she will end up more excited about it.

Dd is the middle of 5, it’s the best and the worst, she’s my stepford child and is on top of everything 110% as always, but then again, I’m losing my stepford child.

DD is the middle of three and I'm feeling the same way. I'm losing my "little mommy" (her nickname for herself when DD10 came along), my one child with whom homework has never been a battle, the one who I sometimes think is neater and more organized than I am. I don't know what we're going to do without her next year!

DD is the middle of three and I'm feeling the same way. I'm losing my "little mommy" (her nickname for herself when DD10 came along), my one child with whom homework has never been a battle, the one who I sometimes think is neater and more organized than I am. I don't know what we're going to do without her next year!
We can all cry together! :sad:

Sometimes you just have to shake your head. But there could be legit reasons. Does she not want to go to a big school? I still worry that it might be too big for DD.

She’s “afraid” it’s too close to home & she’ll come home too often.

Well, the application for Alabama went out yesterday, she has 6 others about ready to go, CSU will be the 30th as it's free to apply for all Colorado students on the 30th, then Vandy, MIT, Wash U... The names all run together for me after awhile! I think kids today are really lucky, they get to use the Common App for most of their schools, and the ones who don't use it, they can copy/paste a lot of it. I remember having to hand write those darn 5 page applications!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter