Parents of the Class of 2019

Wow! DSs HS has 2,500 (idk per grade break down-I guess average 625/grade) . There were 1,200 in my graduating class!!

Wow, the range of class sizes amazes me! - My entire class back in "the old days" was about 120.

DS's had probably twice that by 8th grade, and there will be two towns together for high school, so I'm guessing about 400 kids by the time they graduate. (And I thought that was big.)

I'm also wondering about the sizes of everyone's school. How can your DD know 75% of the class? My kids go to a regional high school so multiple towns feed into it. There are about 400 kids per class and we are the smallest town feeding in. I'm just hoping that when classes start DS knows at least a couple kids in each class.

Our school is really small. 40-50 kids per grade, 180 in the school as a whole. But as the only private high school in the county it draws kids from quite a few different elem/middle schools as well as a few kids who were homeschooled through the lower grades so there's still some getting to know you at the start of the year. DD knew about half her class before the start of the year, mostly from cooperative activities between her school and the other Catholic elems in our area and from 4H events.

In our school it is all the same kids K-12 except for new kids moving in, so with 50-70 in a class and mostly the same kids the last 9 years, they know everybody. It takes 3 small Iowa towns to make a class this size. The next set of towns south there are 6-10 kids per grade. It's not going to be around much longer. My kids are open enrolled to their school. The school they would have gone to, north of us, is around 15 in a grade and they are looking to join a town further away from us. I'm glad they are in the school they are in.

I love the size of it because it is small enough you can participate in everything that you want and big enough to fully participate in events (i.e. the school to the south had two girls out for track so therefore no relays).

Big weekend for my freshman soccer player - last Saturday, he scored his first HS goal (he's a defender, so he normally won't score often), and he was asked to suit up in the varsity game as well! :) :) He only got in for the last 5 minutes or so of the game, but he was so excited to get his first varsity action. :)

At my son's school, they have to take two semesters of PE and unfortunately, sports don't count towards that. They offer a summer PE, which is two weeks of mornings in June. My son is planning on doing that next summer - he can generally go to the summer PE and then ask to "sign out" to go to soccer captain's practices instead. He figures he's going to be there anyways, so he might as well get a PE credit out of the way. He plans on getting his other credit sometime Junior or Senior year.

Big weekend for my freshman soccer player - last Saturday, he scored his first HS goal (he's a defender, so he normally won't score often), and he was asked to suit up in the varsity game as well! :) :) He only got in for the last 5 minutes or so of the game, but he was so excited to get his first varsity action. :)

At my son's school, they have to take two semesters of PE and unfortunately, sports don't count towards that. They offer a summer PE, which is two weeks of mornings in June. My son is planning on doing that next summer - he can generally go to the summer PE and then ask to "sign out" to go to soccer captain's practices instead. He figures he's going to be there anyways, so he might as well get a PE credit out of the way. He plans on getting his other credit sometime Junior or Senior year.

Congrats to your son. How exciting for him!

Yay! We don't do soccer till spring. Hopefully DD gets to play a little. We're supposed to have 8 semesters of PE but if you do sports or outside activities like dance, you can have a parent sign a waiver. I signed DD16's yesterday and DD14 is supposed to remember to pick one up today. PE is just a pain, having to keep a gym locker and change clothes, potentially getting sweaty, and then there is the fun of failing at games in front of upperclass boys...I remember it well and it makes me happy that my kids can skip it and take a class instead!

Yay! We don't do soccer till spring. Hopefully DD gets to play a little. We're supposed to have 8 semesters of PE but if you do sports or outside activities like dance, you can have a parent sign a waiver. I signed DD16's yesterday and DD14 is supposed to remember to pick one up today. PE is just a pain, having to keep a gym locker and change clothes, potentially getting sweaty, and then there is the fun of failing at games in front of upperclass boys...I remember it well and it makes me happy that my kids can skip it and take a class instead!

I wish we had a waiver option! DD is hating PE so far. Fortunately it is only one semester so she just has to tough it out until January.

Students at our school seem to take one of two approaches to PE - either they take it freshman year to get it out of the way, or they leave it to senior year as an "easy A" on a schedule full of advanced and AP classes. So there's this group of freshmen, including DD, mixed in with a group of seniors. Not the most comfortable situation from a social standpoint, with all the freshmen still trying to make a good impression. And to make it worse, PE is 1st hour so they get all sweaty to start the day!

Where I went to school, athletes could get a waiver. Two seasons of a sport (including color guard, marching band, dance team, etc.) was enough to waive the half-credit PE requirement. So I never had to take gym. I wish DD had the same option. She's such an active kid, with a different sport every season, a summer swim team when school's out, and a few 5ks a year just for fun, that she certainly doesn't need PE to encourage a healthy activity level!

My son is a senior and is taking his required 1/2 credit of PE this year. It was the only time that he was able to work it into the schedule. He has 3 AP classes, theater tech, drama board (independent study), and public speaking/ gym.

My daughter had another float party here last night. There was not as many kids here this time but 4 new ones. The theme is Wizard of Oz. They watched the movie and decided on their float idea. They will start construction next weekend.

First home varsity football game tonight. We have a pretty decent team this year. MTV did a show on them. New coaches, etc. won the first game after a 66 losing streak in 10/13, last year they won three games. Last week, they beat in undefeated league champs 27-12.

The first couple of weeks back for us has been interesting. DD is currently flunking Geometry, because she transferring into the class from Algebra after the first week of school, so those first 3 assignments have 0 for scores. She did talk to the teacher and he's opening them back up for her so she can do them, thankfully!

When she does get her license, she'll be driving the old Explorer, that will only have liability on it, so insurance shouldn't go up too much. I'm glad Colorado did away with the whole "no-fault" insurance law awhile ago! This was the first week for club meetings, she really enjoyed the Anime club, the Archery club drove her crazy (they don't have an official "team" because they can't take everyone, so it's a club) because they weren't really well organized, hopefully after the first week shakeouts that will get better, and she's got drama club today. She doesn't want to be on the stage, she just wants to paint it! :tongue:

We're actually pulling her out of school tomorrow so that we can head out to Gumbo's neck of the words and tool around on the lake a bit, but she swears she's talked to all her teachers and gotten it straightened out, so I'm taking her word for it. I can't wait for her to drive so I can make her take DS to his diving practices!

The first couple of weeks back for us has been interesting. DD is currently flunking Geometry, because she transferring into the class from Algebra after the first week of school, so those first 3 assignments have 0 for scores. She did talk to the teacher and he's opening them back up for her so she can do them, thankfully!

When she does get her license, she'll be driving the old Explorer, that will only have liability on it, so insurance shouldn't go up too much. I'm glad Colorado did away with the whole "no-fault" insurance law awhile ago! This was the first week for club meetings, she really enjoyed the Anime club, the Archery club drove her crazy (they don't have an official "team" because they can't take everyone, so it's a club) because they weren't really well organized, hopefully after the first week shakeouts that will get better, and she's got drama club today. She doesn't want to be on the stage, she just wants to paint it! :tongue:

We're actually pulling her out of school tomorrow so that we can head out to Gumbo's neck of the words and tool around on the lake a bit, but she swears she's talked to all her teachers and gotten it straightened out, so I'm taking her word for it. I can't wait for her to drive so I can make her take DS to his diving practices!

You've got great boating weather through Sunday. We may try to get out on ours as well :)

We've only had two days of school here but so far so good. Classes are "OK" and DS does know someone in each class. Also, he did make the soccer team and he likes the coach so all is good on that front too.

It is so cool that your school has an archery club! My girls shoot but schools here don't have programs, it is all through 4H. Does the club meet year-round or is there a season? Our archery season is April to July so we're done for a while here.

DD is missing her first day of school today. Unfortunately my husband's uncle passed away and while we weren't close to him it means a lot to my FIL for the grandkids to be at the funeral with him, so the girls both had to miss school. And I'm missing the funeral - I hope my inlaws will understand! - because it is the first day of my fall classes and I didn't feel like I could afford to take the day off. DD is a little worried about missed work but she's got friends texting her the assignments and a four-day weekend to make it up (we're off Fri & Mon for Labor Day) so it shouldn't be too hard on her.

It is so cool that your school has an archery club! My girls shoot but schools here don't have programs, it is all through 4H. Does the club meet year-round or is there a season? Our archery season is April to July so we're done for a while here.

DD is missing her first day of school today. Unfortunately my husband's uncle passed away and while we weren't close to him it means a lot to my FIL for the grandkids to be at the funeral with him, so the girls both had to miss school. And I'm missing the funeral - I hope my inlaws will understand! - because it is the first day of my fall classes and I didn't feel like I could afford to take the day off. DD is a little worried about missed work but she's got friends texting her the assignments and a four-day weekend to make it up (we're off Fri & Mon for Labor Day) so it shouldn't be too hard on her.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes, it is cool that they have clubs. It started in the middle school (one feeder middle school for 6 elem schools) by a teacher who was pretty active in the US Olympic program because he was trying to build interest younger to get more kids involved and when those kids left the middle school, they got the high school to start a club there as well. It can't be an official "team" because they can't accept everyone, not enough bows and they can't tell everyone they have to buy a bow, so it's a club. The club does meet school-year round, and they'll do a couple of meets over the course of the year. We've also got a range in our development, so we bought her a season pass so she can go shoot whenever she wants if one of us will take her.

I wish we had a waiver option! DD is hating PE so far. Fortunately it is only one semester so she just has to tough it out until January.

Students at our school seem to take one of two approaches to PE - either they take it freshman year to get it out of the way, or they leave it to senior year as an "easy A" on a schedule full of advanced and AP classes. So there's this group of freshmen, including DD, mixed in with a group of seniors. Not the most comfortable situation from a social standpoint, with all the freshmen still trying to make a good impression. And to make it worse, PE is 1st hour so they get all sweaty to start the day!

Where I went to school, athletes could get a waiver. Two seasons of a sport (including color guard, marching band, dance team, etc.) was enough to waive the half-credit PE requirement. So I never had to take gym. I wish DD had the same option. She's such an active kid, with a different sport every season, a summer swim team when school's out, and a few 5ks a year just for fun, that she certainly doesn't need PE to encourage a healthy activity level!

When I was in HS, we were required to do 2 years of PE. You could skip 1 year if you did 4 years of band. Band only got the exemption because it was a class and ate up 1/6 of your HS hours. No exemption for athletes because that was all outside school hours.

Hello- I'm kinda late to join but I have two class of 2019 daughters- one in college and the other in high school. My younger one and I are still adjusting to older sister being at college but dd14 is keeping busy with cheerleading and making new friends at the high school. I think her biggest problem this week( they just started on weds) is that she has "c" lunch which isn't until 12:40. She needs to work out a time to eat something in between classes. She has her first varsity football game tonight and is nervous b/c she is one of two freshman on the squad and the two of them were only taught about half of the cheers. There are so many and they ran out of time to teach them all of them.

When I was in HS, we were required to do 2 years of PE. You could skip 1 year if you did 4 years of band. Band only got the exemption because it was a class and ate up 1/6 of your HS hours. No exemption for athletes because that was all outside school hours.
Wow, we have 4 mandatory years of gym, no exemptions. Dd14 has country and concert choir (daily class), and ds17 has soccer and chamber singers (also a class). He hasn't had a lunch in 3 years, but has gym every day!

I think her biggest problem this week( they just started on weds) is that she has "c" lunch which isn't until 12:40. She needs to work out a time to eat something in between classes.

My older daughter has trouble with this. She's like me, breakfast doesn't hold her very long. Last year she used to bring snacks in her backpack, but this year carrying backpacks, water bottles, and food is banned. I suggested she have something ready to eat super quick at her locker but she insists there's no time. This week they've had early outs which means a 1:00 lunch for some reason. Both girls are really irritated about no water bottles this year. DD14 has a cold so she's particularly dry this week. And DD16 is thirsty all day. There are no water fountains in the hallway that has most of the classrooms. And again, seems to be no spare time between classes. They say kids will be allowed out of class to get drinks but DD16 is too afraid to miss something.

My older daughter has trouble with this. She's like me, breakfast doesn't hold her very long. Last year she used to bring snacks in her backpack, but this year carrying backpacks, water bottles, and food is banned. I suggested she have something ready to eat super quick at her locker but she insists there's no time. This week they've had early outs which means a 1:00 lunch for some reason. Both girls are really irritated about no water bottles this year. DD14 has a cold so she's particularly dry this week. And DD16 is thirsty all day. There are no water fountains in the hallway that has most of the classrooms. And again, seems to be no spare time between classes. They say kids will be allowed out of class to get drinks but DD16 is too afraid to miss something.

That is a bizarre rule. I guess I can come up with a rationale for no food (distracting/rude if kids eat in class for example), but why no water? What reason did they give for this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter