Parents of HS class of 2020

We finally got some more info from our principal. That's the problem with a huge school system; every detail of everything has to be approved all the way up the food chain.

Our seniors are going to get their caps and gowns, tassels, the stole representing their academy (it's an all-magnet school), Class of 2020 medallion, and honor society cords. They will announce the virtual graduation details as soon as they get them, but there is no individual participation (kinda difficult with 400+ graduates). Don't know what they're going to do about the student speeches; hopefully they'll include them.

Our yearbooks will also be distributed, possibly at the same time as the caps and gowns. Supposedly, the school is going to host a "prom" for the students in the school gym some weekend in the Fall. It won't be the same as the W Hotel downtown, but it will be a nice gesture if they go through with it. Depending on which weekend it is and conflicts at college, DD might come home for that.

DD's schoolwork has finally let up, so she's now turning the page and focusing on college. Her school has a pretty extensive online orientation to complete and they also have to complete a math placement test. Roommate and room selection is supposed to start happening in late May, so she'll be pretty busy until mid June.

I guess I spoke too soon. Dd came down this morning with tears in her eyes. I guess the kids have been on a group chat discussing how the Board of Ed met on Thurs night. They were back and forth with trying to figure out either a virtual graduation or trying for one in person later in the summer. All of the kids want to try for the in person one, of course. There was a very vocal man at the meeting saying they can’t have it in August because not all the kids would be able to make it and it had to be all or nothing. I understand his point. Here’s where the tears came in...my daughter said she would rather everyone who CAN do it, have an in person graduation, even if she herself couldn’t go. She said she wouldn’t want everyone to miss out on the experience just because a few couldn’t go. :guilty: (She leaves for school August 7th, as of right now.) The kids were going to sign a petition saying as much. I was gutted seeing her so upset. Like I said before, she’s been so stoic up until now. The only other time she broke down was March 13th when they announced the cancellation of all spring sports and activities. (She lost her lacrosse season and school musical that day.)

I’m so glad some of you are getting answers. It’ll help once we know how to focus our energy, no matter what is decided. We shall see.

I guess I spoke too soon. Dd came down this morning with tears in her eyes. I guess the kids have been on a group chat discussing how the Board of Ed met on Thurs night. They were back and forth with trying to figure out either a virtual graduation or trying for one in person later in the summer. All of the kids want to try for the in person one, of course. There was a very vocal man at the meeting saying they can’t have it in August because not all the kids would be able to make it and it had to be all or nothing. I understand his point. Here’s where the tears came in...my daughter said she would rather everyone who CAN do it, have an in person graduation, even if she herself couldn’t go. She said she wouldn’t want everyone to miss out on the experience just because a few couldn’t go. :guilty: (She leaves for school August 7th, as of right now.) The kids were going to sign a petition saying as much. I was gutted seeing her so upset. Like I said before, she’s been so stoic up until now. The only other time she broke down was March 13th when they announced the cancellation of all spring sports and activities. (She lost her lacrosse season and school musical that day.)

I’m so glad some of you are getting answers. It’ll help once we know how to focus our energy, no matter what is decided. We shall see.

I understanding your daughters point of view, but I agree with the man who said it should be all or nothing. I know my son would feel horrible if he knew there was going to be a graduation ceremony and he would have to iss out.

I know my son would feel horrible if he knew there was going to be a graduation ceremony and he would have to iss out.
I'm sure any of our kids would feel bad if they had to miss graduation because it was postponed and they couldn't make the new date.

But that's not the only question. There are two sides to that coin.

How would they feel if they and maybe 10% of their classmates couldn't make the rescheduled date...and THAT kept the other 90% from having an in-person graduation?

I suspect most of our kids would say to go ahead with the delayed in-person ceremony for the majority.

Also, they could always stream the in-person ceremony, and add in the missing graduates virtually.

I'm sure any of our kids would feel bad if they had to miss graduation because it was postponed and they couldn't make the new date.

But that's not the only question. There are two sides to that coin.

How would they feel if they and maybe 10% of their classmates couldn't make the rescheduled date...and THAT kept the other 90% from having an in-person graduation?

I suspect most of our kids would say to go ahead with the delayed in-person ceremony for the majority.

Also, they could always stream the in-person ceremony, and add in the missing graduates virtually.
You have a point. The whole situation is depressing.

DD18 and friends are doing two "drive-by" birthday parties this weekend. Woo hoo...

My DD17 'attended' a Zoom 18th party last night. Her's is next month. Things are improving here so chances are restrictions will have been reduced by the time hers comes around. Not enough for a party but enough for a couple of friends. Our Federal Govt. is saying Stage 1 will allow upto 5 visitors in the home. It's just up to our State Govt. to accept that. They are meeting tomorrow. DD is actually cleaning her room in anticipation.

You have a point. The whole situation is depressing.
I think it's actually worse for us than it is for the kids. I think they take stuff like this better than we do.

To be perfectly honest, the kids I feel sorry for are those who are NOT going to college. For them, marching is huge -- especially inner-city kids who have had to fight many battles just to stay in school.

Those of us who are more fortunate take things for granted, but there are a LOT of kids who are the first in their families to graduate from high school...so it's kind of a big deal.

Her school has a pretty extensive online orientation to complete and they also have to complete a math placement test. Roommate and room selection is supposed to start happening in late May, so she'll be pretty busy until mid June.
When did yours sign up for Orientation? I think mine is doing hers in June. She did the math placement test. Her older sister is helping her with the roommate thing-since older sis has been through this both at college and twice with DCP; She got a great match with her colloge roommate and stayed roommates the whole time. So she's giving her sister tips and to be Honest.

You know, I've seen some others who haven't been able to sign up for orientation. I'm gonna PM you.

I think it's actually worse for us than it is for the kids. I think they take stuff like this better than we do.

To be perfectly honest, the kids I feel sorry for are those who are NOT going to college. For them, marching is huge -- especially inner-city kids who have had to fight many battles just to stay in school.

Those of us who are more fortunate take things for granted, but there are a LOT of kids who are the first in their families to graduate from high school...so it's kind of a big deal.

This exactly. I feel the same way. We have a lot of kids who are first to graduate in their families. I feel terrible for them.

So...next week is AP Exams. How does the rest of your school year look?

Our Senior Prom was supposed to be next Saturday, 5/17, but of course that's canceled.

Some very limited community re-opening is slated to start on 5/18, but we're still going to stay home mostly.

May 23-25 is Memorial Day weekend, which is the semi-official opening of summer in most places, but not in South Florida where it's summer year round.

Miami Beach has a big Memorial Day celebration. If they actually go through with it, this would be the year to make the drive over to enjoy the festivities. Every other year, there are conflicting events on South Beach that would make traffic and everything else too crazy. But all hotels and vacation rentals (AirBnB, etc) are still locked down, so maybe this is the year.

Our graduation (canceled) was scheduled for 5/27, and we really don't have anything on the calendar between now and then. The school year technically ends on 6/3.

We had a two-week Alaska trip scheduled starting mid-June, but of course that will not happen. So I guess the rest of our summer will be getting ready for college move-in day in late August. We're supposed to get a decision on Fall term in June.

How about you?

So...next week is AP Exams. How does the rest of your school year look?

Our Senior Prom was supposed to be next Saturday, 5/17, but of course that's canceled.

Some very limited community re-opening is slated to start on 5/18, but we're still going to stay home mostly.

May 23-25 is Memorial Day weekend, which is the semi-official opening of summer in most places, but not in South Florida where it's summer year round.

Miami Beach has a big Memorial Day celebration. If they actually go through with it, this would be the year to make the drive over to enjoy the festivities. Every other year, there are conflicting events on South Beach that would make traffic and everything else too crazy. But all hotels and vacation rentals (AirBnB, etc) are still locked down, so maybe this is the year.

Our graduation (canceled) was scheduled for 5/27, and we really don't have anything on the calendar between now and then. The school year technically ends on 6/3.

We had a two-week Alaska trip scheduled starting mid-June, but of course that will not happen. So I guess the rest of our summer will be getting ready for college move-in day in late August. We're supposed to get a decision on Fall term in June.

How about you?
Yep AP exams Tuesday. Seniors last day was previous friday, with our graduation delayed until August 7, Prom July 17th. Things starting to open up-went to our favorite local pub for Mothers day lunch (deliberately went at odd hour of 230 pm) to eat on patio.

We were supposed to be leaving for France this upcoming thursday-that is delayed until next May. We own a timeshare week at Lake of the Ozarks that we usually trade somewhere, and we get "extra accommodation certificates" frequently. Was idly browsing and a great place in New Orleans is available in June, will see what the LA governor says this week about them opening up and possibly may take a road trip. Since I am working from home for foreseeable future-I work in nutrition and go into multiple nursing homes, and MO is being super cautious about allowing outside contractors back in-which I am in complete agreement with, although I miss my residents and staff. But I can do online work anywhere sooo...
School for the rest is done May 21

AP exams Tuesday, Wednesday and next Monday. In between Ap exams, my son turns 18 (Thursday). We are in NYC, where the last day of school is June 25. We are not sure of his schedule past Ap exams because NY state Regent exams were canceled. Seniors don't take Regents and usually have that week off. No word yet on whether they will have regular-online classes scheduled. Both my boys are waiting to hear about their counselor jobs at camp this summer in PA. If camp is canceled, we may try to arrange a family trip out west, if we can travel. We do have hotel reservations for my freshman's move in weekend towards the end of August. My sophomore will travel with us because his school starts a week later and is only 2 hours from our home.

My husband and I have plans for our first adults only trip to Disneyworld. We have DVC points we need to use or lose, so hopefully our very late August/September trip will happen.

Last edited:
We do have hotel reservations for my freshman's move in weekend towards the end of August
Yeah, we made move-in reservations (8/21-23) as well, and also for Parents' Weekend (10/2) just in case football season actually happens.

Might change the Parents' Weekend for Thanksgiving in Tampa, however. We (UCF) play USF in Tampa that weekend and DD's BFF since pre-K 3 will be at USF. So we might go up that weekend with her parents, and rub their noses in their crushing loss.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread because I don't have a HS senior, but my heart goes out to all your kids who have to experience their senior year this way. Even though it may not be how they wanted it to go, at the very least it will be a memorable senior year - something to tell their kids about someday!

We live in NY, and my cousin is graduating from a small rural high school with about 50 kids in her class. They received notice that each senior will receive a 20 minute time block during the last few weeks of June, when their graduation ceremony would have been held. During their time block, their family is permitted to enter the school's auditorium and sit 6ft apart. School custodians will be on-hand to disinfect after each student's time block is up. School administration will be on the stage, and the student will walk down the aisle in their cap and gown to Pomp & Circumstance, receive their diploma, and have their photo ops. Unfortunately, my cousin is also valedictorian and will not be able to make her speech. I think the school had the best of intentions, trying to salvage some of the graduation experience, but families are upset by it. Schools in neighboring districts with similar class sizes are having their graduation on the football field with a limit of 2 guests per senior, seniors sat 6ft apart and the bleachers spaced 6ft apart for guests. Weather here is always dicey, so that's a factor they can't plan for. Many families in my cousin's district are wishing her school would have gone the same route. Pros and cons to both options, IMO.

As a unique option, over 20 districts where I live in NY have contacted the local drive-in movie theater about having their graduation ceremony there. I don't know how the logistics would work, but the thought is they could have the guests in their cars and project video of the graduates receiving their diploma on the movie screen. Hopefully they can work something out.

Best wishes to all families impacted here, and congrats to your kids!

Our school district has been pretty slow to get plans in place. I just received word that they are conducting a drive thru pick up with assigned times for caps, gowns and invitations. They told us that we are to take an appropriate picture with our child in their cap and gown. I am guessing they will be doing a video.

My question is, has anyone thought of a memorable way to honor the actual graduation day with your child? It's not like we can go out for a nice dinner or go to an entertainment center, so I am wracking my brain trying to think of something!

Last edited:
Our school district has been pretty slow to get plans in place. I just received word that they are conducting a drive thru pick up with assigned times for caps, gowns and invitations. They told us that we are to take an appropriate picture with our child in their cap and gown. I am guess they will be doing a video.
We're going to be doing something similar. We are having a virtual graduation, but don't have a firm date for that. Our kids have already had grad pictures in their caps and gowns, so I assume they'll use those.

We have paid for the caps and gowns, but the principal says they're giving us those, and they'll be doing a drive through pickup for those and yearbooks. No word on how they receive the actual diplomas, but I guess it will also be some kind of a pickup.
My question is, has anyone thought of a memorable way to honor the actual graduation day with your child? It's not like we can go out for a nice dinner or go to an entertainment center, so I am wracking my brain trying to think of something!
DW and DD's BFF's mom are conspiring to produce some kind of drive-by graduation celebration the Saturday after the scheduled ceremonies. It will be DD, her BFF, and two other close friends who attend the BFF's school.

I'm happily in the dark about the arrangements, but I know there will be driveby with a $50 prize for best decorated car. Lots of the kids friends have been invited, so that should be interesting. They live on a cul de sac, so it will be easy for the parade to drive by the house safely without interfering with other traffic.

DW is decorating my car (an SUV) as a massive graduation cap... :rolleyes: . She's a very graphic-oriented person -- as opposed to an engineer -- so I'm expecting it to look great and come flying off the car as soon as I reach about 5 MPH.

The other thing we have going is that our local figure skating club is doing a drive-by the Saturday before graduation. DD has been a member of the club for more than 10 years and has mentored most of the younger kids on everything from Level 4 spins to boys, so they want to say thanks. I'm not sure how that will go, but they have more than 200 members so it could be a real mess.

Our virtual graduation is now set for Monday, June 8, with further details to follow.

On the college front, we now have housing drama. We had been advised to do the dorm application as soon as DD was accepted because housing fills up. We did, got approved, and we are all set.

However, DD's prospective roommate (a girl from her HS) procrastinated and now the applications for DD's dorm area are closed. The girl will go to a waitlist when she applies.

Once she gets approved for housing, DD can "pull her into" the room, but not from the waitlist. The girl is not actually a friend, but she's a girl DD knows and would be comfortable with as a roommate. Should be interesting...

Our virtual graduation is now set for Monday, June 8, with further details to follow.

On the college front, we now have housing drama. We had been advised to do the dorm application as soon as DD was accepted because housing fills up. We did, got approved, and we are all set.

However, DD's prospective roommate (a girl from her HS) procrastinated and now the applications for DD's dorm area are closed. The girl will go to a waitlist when she applies.

Once she gets approved for housing, DD can "pull her into" the room, but not from the waitlist. The girl is not actually a friend, but she's a girl DD knows and would be comfortable with as a roommate. Should be interesting...
yikes it is always something :) Hopefully it works out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter