Parents of College Class of 2018 (A.K.A., "Is this the line to the poor house?")

Today we moved our son into the house he is renting with 2 others. The place is a pit. I was shocked at how bad it was and surprised the rental company could rent it in such bad condition.
I guess it's because it's a college area.
My son said it was the best of the ones he and his friends looked at. I didn't say anything to him about thinking how awful it was but yikes.
Carpet that should have been replaced about 10 years ago - its so thin it's not really carpet. The whole inside of the house needs repainting - paint peeling, marks everywhere and walls need repair because there was actual holes in them! My son said they've started a "ticket" with the rental company to get the holes repaired.

I need to keep telling myself that he is happy and the house fits his needs mostly but yuck. I just wanted to get in there and rip out the flooring and replace it and scrub the place down with bleach since it didn't seem to be cleaned between tenants. Thank goodness I'm not the one spending much time in the place.

His room at home is empty of furniture since he needed to bring it but he didn't box up everything else like I wanted so we can't paint his room while he was gone like I'd hoped.

But he's getting settled in the new place and is already enjoying his time with his friends before college starts next week so that's a good thing.

My dd's apt, that she is about to start her 2nd year in, is a pit as well. Busted ceramic tiles in the kitchen, super thin laminate in the living room, worn to the subfloor in places, a busted window (that part they fixed), the front door could so easily be kicked in. It's awful. But she and her roomates don't seem to care, since they renewed the lease for a 2nd year. Another of her friends lives upstairs, and is in there for her 3rd year. Yikes! My dd and her roomates are all slobs too, so that surely doesn't help. Should be great fun when it's time to finally move them out!

We got DD all moved into her new apartment. The complex is better than the area her boyfriend used to live in (walking distance to the university) where DD's car got stolen. Hopefully all will go well! The management seems to be on top of things pretty well. She decided to postpone the MCAT exam until January. She was getting burnt out on studying and was not doing as well as she hoped she would do on the practice tests. It was too late to cancel to get any money back, so she sat for the exam on test day and then voided the test. It was good practice and now she knows what to expect with the exam and how things work at the testing center. She plans to reschedule for January or February. School starts a week from Monday. Senior year is almost here!

My dd's apt, that she is about to start her 2nd year in, is a pit as well. Busted ceramic tiles in the kitchen, super thin laminate in the living room, worn to the subfloor in places, a busted window (that part they fixed), the front door could so easily be kicked in. It's awful. But she and her roomates don't seem to care, since they renewed the lease for a 2nd year. Another of her friends lives upstairs, and is in there for her 3rd year. Yikes! My dd and her roomates are all slobs too, so that surely doesn't help. Should be great fun when it's time to finally move them out!

I guess DD has been very lucky. Her dorm freshman year was a pit! Honestly, prisoners have nicer cells. That contributed to her only dorming for that first mandatory year. Since then, she has lived in an apartment and town home that are as nice or nicer than home.

Her apartment the last two years was very nice- granite countertops, concrete floors. The downside was that the management ended up being less than responsive to issues once you were moved in. And what we thought would be a great location because it was barely off campus (just across a narrow two lane street) also happened to be the party street- bars etc... It was tons of noise, a shooting or two.

Her townhouse is beautiful with a resort style pool area. It's farther from campus but closer to her job.

We're paying a mint for these beautiful options but one more year and DONE!

Last edited:
That sounds like a nice place with the all of the updates! My DD had the opposite experience. She was in a new on-campus dorm with all of the bells and whistles for 2 years. Now she and her bf are a few miles from campus in a not-so-great area, but better than where her bf was living before (who she stayed with often). I read a news article the other day with a crime map of the 5 areas with the highest crime in the city and she's in #4. :headache: If she was near campus where it's affordable which I say tongue in cheek because most of the apartments around there are complete dumps, she would have been in the #1 crime area. Well, that area does stretch up the main road for miles, so it's not the absolute worst, but close. Now she is still in a high crime area, but not as bad as before. The complex is gated, but I still worry. So far she said the complex is very quiet. The walls are concrete so they can't hear anyone.

I guess DD has been very lucky. Her dorm freshman year was a pit! Honestly, prisoners have nicer cells. That contributed to her only dorming for that first mandatory year. Since then, she has lived in an apartment and town home that are as nice or nicer than home.

Her apartment the last two years was very nice- granite countertops, concrete floors. The downside was that the management ended up being less than responsive to issues once you were moved in. And what we thought would be a great location because it was barely off campus (just across a narrow two lane street) also happened to be the party street- bars etc... It was tons of noise, a shooting or two.

Her townhouse is beautiful with a resort style pool area. It's farther from campus but closer to her job.

We're paying a mint for these beautiful options but one more year and DONE!

Wow, haven't been here in a long time! DD was lucky enough, on the second try, to get accepted to the College Program at Disney World and is there now. She will stay until January, then come home and finish senior year of college, graduating with a degree in Hospitality and Tourism, with a minor in Jewish Studies.

It's amazing how I worried and lost sleep and panicked over college. Thankfully it's been a great experience for DD and she has thrived. She has done so much growing up these past 3 years.

Wherever our children wind up, we'll always have the Class of 2018 thread. ;) Wishing all of you, and your children, a happy, healthy, bright future ahead!

Wow, haven't been here in a long time! DD was lucky enough, on the second try, to get accepted to the College Program at Disney World and is there now. She will stay until January, then come home and finish senior year of college, graduating with a degree in Hospitality and Tourism, with a minor in Jewish Studies.

It's amazing how I worried and lost sleep and panicked over college. Thankfully it's been a great experience for DD and she has thrived. She has done so much growing up these past 3 years.

Wherever our children wind up, we'll always have the Class of 2018 thread. ;) Wishing all of you, and your children, a happy, healthy, bright future ahead!

How exciting for your DD!! What area is she doing her internship in at WDW? A co-worker's daughter was in that program a couple of years ago and has continued on working at WDW. She is a major Disney character/cast member now. I hope your DD has a great semester!!!

ETA: DD started school a week ago and DS starts his first semester tomorrow. :teacher:

I can't believe that we are so close to the end of this journey. DD's bf just got his first employment offer. It's in their #1 location choice and a good offer. He's holding out until after the job fair in a couple of weeks as there is one other company that he is hoping makes him an offer. He has until 3 days after the fair to respond to the offer on the table.

This early offer for him will help DD focus her search so she's pretty excited. They've done all 4 years of college long distance so a big job goal was to be in the same city. His early offer will help relieve that stress. It's getting real!

Wow, I've seen this thread, and participate on the 2020, 2023, and 2025 threads.

Dd21 is a senior, will have enough credits in January to start her masters, will walk in May, finish her masters in December 2018, work on her CPA, and start working at an accounting firm January 2019. The firm is near her university (interned there last semester), so she's not coming back, gave her room to dd16. It's a nice offer, so she can start paying off those pesky loans!

She's living in a house with several roommates, plans on moving back to her previous apartment next year (nicer, only 4 roommates). She's always had her own room, at least. She waitresses three shifts a week to pay rent and buy food, and is auditioning for the musical this year (a good HS friend is directing, he's a theater major, and they did all the HS productions together).

I can't believe she's flown the coop already! One down, four to go.

I can't believe that we are so close to the end of this journey. DD's bf just got his first employment offer. It's in their #1 location choice and a good offer. He's holding out until after the job fair in a couple of weeks as there is one other company that he is hoping makes him an offer. He has until 3 days after the fair to respond to the offer on the table.

This early offer for him will help DD focus her search so she's pretty excited. They've done all 4 years of college long distance so a big job goal was to be in the same city. His early offer will help relieve that stress. It's getting real!

Wow, they beat the odds with keeping their relationship going long distance throughout college! Sounds like your DD's bf is going to find great success with his first job. Will he start after he graduates or has he already graduated? It seems early to offer a job in September for a May or June start date, but maybe that's how things work these days. DD met her bf online while in high school. He went to a college in the midwest. After 2 years, he relocated here and goes to the same school as DD. He started college a year ahead of her, but she will finish a year before him because he moved schools and did a 180 into a completely different major.

Wow, I've seen this thread, and participate on the 2020, 2023, and 2025 threads.

Dd21 is a senior, will have enough credits in January to start her masters, will walk in May, finish her masters in December 2018, work on her CPA, and start working at an accounting firm January 2019. The firm is near her university (interned there last semester), so she's not coming back, gave her room to dd16. It's a nice offer, so she can start paying off those pesky loans!

She's living in a house with several roommates, plans on moving back to her previous apartment next year (nicer, only 4 roommates). She's always had her own room, at least. She waitresses three shifts a week to pay rent and buy food, and is auditioning for the musical this year (a good HS friend is directing, he's a theater major, and they did all the HS productions together).

I can't believe she's flown the coop already! One down, four to go.

That's great news that your DD will graduate early and still has time to pursue outside interests and a job! Students at DD's school get their last semester paid for if they graduate in 4 years or earlier. Nice incentive for students to stick to a timeline when possible. Thankfully, DD will graduate debt free due to scholarships.

Wow, they beat the odds with keeping their relationship going long distance throughout college! Sounds like your DD's bf is going to find great success with his first job. Will he start after he graduates or has he already graduated? It seems early to offer a job in September for a May or June start date, but maybe that's how things work these days. DD met her bf online while in high school. He went to a college in the midwest. After 2 years, he relocated here and goes to the same school as DD. He started college a year ahead of her, but she will finish a year before him because he moved schools and did a 180 into a completely different major.

That's great news that your DD will graduate early and still has time to pursue outside interests and a job! Students at DD's school get their last semester paid for if they graduate in 4 years or earlier. Nice incentive for students to stick to a timeline when possible. Thankfully, DD will graduate debt free due to scholarships.

Her bf will graduate in May. This is a job with a June start date. I was surprised with the early offer, as well, but his school has one of the strongest Alumni networks I've ever seen and his offer is related to internships the past two summers.

DD will also graduate on time with zero extra hours so she will get a University rebate next semester- her last- and a State rebate next summer, after graduation.

My son was home this weekend so he could get the emissions done on his car. It's time for the 2018 tags. He told me he and his room mates scrubbed the rental house down and showed me pictures of it all cleaned up. He said he just couldn't stand it.
The rental company hasn't responded to them regarding the holes in the walls but they have been documented so at least they won't get charged for damage when they move out at the end of their lease in August 2018.

So far all is going well with these room mates.

He has a meeting with his Adviser in late September to see how close he is for graduating with his major and minor. He's thinking he's going to need one extra semester in the fall of 2018 to finish.

The end is in site for one of our kids!

How exciting for your DD!! What area is she doing her internship in at WDW? A co-worker's daughter was in that program a couple of years ago and has continued on working at WDW. She is a major Disney character/cast member now. I hope your DD has a great semester!!!

ETA: DD started school a week ago and DS starts his first semester tomorrow. :teacher:
She's a hostess/seater at CRT!

Hope your kids have an amazing year!

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I have visited this thread. I can't believe how fast these years have gone by. I've enjoyed reading the most recent comments and catching up.
My son is visiting for Christmas break and was definitely ready to relax. In addition to his classes, he had a paid internship and ran his club. His internship ended last week, so i am not sure what he will be doing next semester. I think he will probably get a part-time job. He spent the first two years in a dorm, but moved into an apartment last year and is in the same apartment this year. My husband and I are very excited to drive out to his school in May for graduation. This year has really flown by. He was very excited to get his school ring. They make a big deal of it at his school, so that was fun for him.

How is everyone else doing?

DD's college just posted the grad days and times Friday. I've had a room booked for the whole 4 day period in her college town as well as College Station (Her bf's college town.) I was able to amend my reservation for the two nights that we will be in town and booked a private room at our fave restaurant there for a brunch/lunch after her 8 am grad ceremony. The event manager congratulated me for being the first to book the very busy grad day. I've been stalking the college website for the day and time of hers for months so that I could make sure family got rooms booked in time and so that I could book a restaurant.

If Texas A&M would only post days and times, then I could figure out if we'll be able to make the bf's ceremony. I will amend or cancel rooms there depending on days and times.

The time has flown by. I'm super proud of DD and very ready to have the last one off the payroll.

Hi sk!mom. It sounds like you are ready! I keep checking the TAMU site to see if the graduation dates are posted, but don't see them for 2018 yet. I am sure the hotels will fill up quickly. You are smart to be prepared.

Hi sk!mom. It sounds like you are ready! I keep checking the TAMU site to see if the graduation dates are posted, but don't see them for 2018 yet. I am sure the hotels will fill up quickly. You are smart to be prepared.

Because C-Stat is so small, it's ridiculously expensive and difficult to get a room there during big events. DD's boyfriend's mom (and my good friend) has had several rooms booked since Summer. They are all refundable and the unneeded days can be cancelled once his date is released. I booked Bryan as College Station was already really booked up and expensive when I thought of grabbing a booking that could be cancelled or changed. We stayed at Cavalry Court for Ring Day and loved it but it was already way too much for the grad days.

Last edited:
Poor dd is struggling to make ends meet. She got into a horrible car accident a couple of months ago which totaled her car (it was a miracle she survived with just scratches and bruises, thank goodness for health insurance since the trauma center costs were over $20,000). Without a car, she’s been picking up fewer shifts at the restaurant she works at, having to rely on her boyfriend or Uber, and can’t save for a car while paying rent. She could do her Masters at a campus closer to home and commute, but it’s a lesser program (even though it’s the same university). Unfortunately this was the second vehicle she totaled this year, we already gave her the first one and paid for half of the second one. Adulting is hard.

Poor dd is struggling to make ends meet. She got into a horrible car accident a couple of months ago which totaled her car (it was a miracle she survived with just scratches and bruises, thank goodness for health insurance since the trauma center costs were over $20,000). Without a car, she’s been picking up fewer shifts at the restaurant she works at, having to rely on her boyfriend or Uber, and can’t save for a car while paying rent. She could do her Masters at a campus closer to home and commute, but it’s a lesser program (even though it’s the same university). Unfortunately this was the second vehicle she totaled this year, we already gave her the first one and paid for half of the second one. Adulting is hard.

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry that she's hit a rough patch.

Hi Everyone. It's official I am no longer a parent of the class of 2018 because DS finished up his college career last week. Yep, he is graduating a semester early. His school doesn't have winter ceremonies so he will walk on May 4. Hard to believe my son has a bachelors degree.

He also found a part time job in his field and is planning to take a couple classes next semester that will count toward his masters in social work program that will start next fall. We did it!!!

My next big year is 2020, three probable graduations, high school, college and grad school. That could be fun. :)

Good luck to everyone as they near the finish line....

Hi Everyone. It's official I am no longer a parent of the class of 2018 because DS finished up his college career last week. Yep, he is graduating a semester early. His school doesn't have winter ceremonies so he will walk on May 4. Hard to believe my son has a bachelors degree.

He also found a part time job in his field and is planning to take a couple classes next semester that will count toward his masters in social work program that will start next fall. We did it!!!

My next big year is 2020, three probable graduations, high school, college and grad school. That could be fun. :)

Good luck to everyone as they near the finish line....
Are you doing anything to celebrate? Dd will be done in a week, but start her masters in January, walk in May, so it didn’t occur to me to do anything. Right now seems so anticlimactic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter