Paradise Pier Hotel

kailuagirl

DIS Veteran
We have stayed at both the GCH and DLH, but not Paradise Pier. How is it? Would we be disappointed? How far is the walk to the parks? Do you still have to go all the way around to the security checkpoint by DLH? Thanks!

I don't want to say if you'll for sure be disappointed or not but the themeing at Paradise Pier is really the bare minimum Disney could offer. The walk is also pretty far as you have to walk around to the security checkpoint by DLH. The only way I've found to be able to go through the GCH is by making a dining reservation at one of the restaurants in the hotel.

I've not stayed at the other two hotels, but I've stayed at PPH 3 times. We love it. It's bright and sunny inside with pretty corridors. The beds are fabulous. I'm not sure what it would be like staying there after staying at the Grand, but it's our happy place to stay next to our happy place.
Not being able to cut through the Grand is a bummer as it does add a few minutes on to the walk, but it's not bad at all. And if you get a park view, it doesn't get much better than that!

The Paradise Pier is a nice hotel. Is it as nice as the DLH? Not quite. But for the price, I enjoy it. As far as the walk, it is about 4 mins longer than if you stayed at the DLH.

I have not stayed there but might be staying there in January. When we stayed at DLH we walked to PCH grill at PPH and then back to the checkpoint to go back in to DtD it took about 5 minutes. I would not compare to any of the other 2 hotels, but i would stay there if the other two were not in my budget. It looks like it has nice views.

I like it. While I prefer the GCH, I would take PPH over a Harbor Hotel any day if budget allows. I like entering via DTD in the AM and it is a much different feel than coming in from Harbor side IMO.

If you get a park view, it has the best view of all three hotels IMO. Rooms are nice and large and the walk is non consequential to me.

If I do not wanna pay GHC rates, I usually pass up DLH and book PPH, but everyone has their own preferences for their own reasons. Everyone has different things that they value in their stay and rooms so there is no absolute answer for everyone.

Yes...you can stay off site cheaper if you just need a bed and shower...but that is not what "I" want when staying at DL.

We have stayed at PP almost every time we have been to DL the past 12 years, so around 20 times or so. We want to be on property and it’s the least expensive of the 3. We have stayed at the other 2 and while they are nice they are just too much $$ for the length we stay. PP is nice, clean, and convenient, but other than a few Disney things here and there it really just looks like a Holiday Inn or something similar. The beds are very nice and comfortable. I will say that the sink is in the bathroom so that makes getting everyone ready at the same time not as quick. The walk isn’t terrible but can be a little long at night when you’re exhausted. If you are going to stay on property and don’t want to spend as much $ I think it’s fine. We aren’t in the room very much so for us it works well.

We have always stayed at the GCH except for one stay at PP, we did get upgraded to a park view. Overall PP is a nice hotel, but, we didn't like the walk we felt out of the disney bubble and I really missed having a balcony to sit and watch the park open and close.

PPH is my fave. Bright, sunny, with big rooms. Terrific staff whenever we stayed there, and almost every time we stayed there we got upgraded.

DLH is nice, but...

The Grand is my least fave. Tiny, dark rooms.

the themeing at Paradise Pier is really the bare minimum Disney could offer.

I disagree entirely.

The walk is also pretty far as you have to walk around to the security checkpoint by DLH.

Hardly.

First, going around through DTD was the way people were actually routed by Disney. Some of us decided years ago to start cutting through the Grand, but if you followed the signs Disney provided you were sent around through DTD. I'm angry as anyone that they don't let you enter unless you are eating or staying there, but I also know that it was a "hack".

I've used mapmyrun to work it out (alas I didn't have my running watch back then)...

Going from the front door of PPH to the center of the esplanade via the Grand was a whopping .47 mile.

Going from PPH out the exit to go to DTD and through to the center of the esplanade was .63 mile.

This is not marathon level walking here.

I like pph but the walk is too long at the end of the night when u are exhausted, When i stayed there they had golf cart service to and from the disneyland hotel. i think it depends on your party, toddlers and elderly it is a bit far even to take a break during the day now that they dont have special access its even worse. No complaints about the hotel itself just remebered the elevators being a bit of a night mare .

Of the onsite hotels, I'm one of the few who actually prefers PPH. It's themed enough for me and I love the beach feel I get there. And it feels more laid back. To me, GCH is almost too nice and DLH is beautiful, but overpriced. I've never been disappointed at PPH.

You won't be disappointed by the decor or furnishings at all, but the location sucks. It's a pretty hefty walk to the parks. Hotels across Harbor are way, way closer. Of course you have the benefit of early morning, which may be worth it for you!

We have stayed at both the GCH and DLH, but not Paradise Pier. How is it? Would we be disappointed? How far is the walk to the parks? Do you still have to go all the way around to the security checkpoint by DLH? Thanks!
I haven't stayed at PPH, but we did stay at DLH (via a steep convention discount) and liked it. I'd be happy for us to stay at PPH, though. The beach theming looks pleasant & spot on for southern California, with plenty of themed details in the rooms.

I don't think the cost upgrade to the other DLR hotels is worth it if you're paying full price, because they're all really just hotels, and not full resorts like the deluxes at WDW. The biggest advantage of staying onsite at DLR is the Extra Magic Hours, which can really make a difference to your touring.

I'm amused to see people complaining so much about the "long" walk between PPH and the parks. If a WDW resort were the same distance from two parks as PPH is from the Disneyland parks, it would be a major selling point.

Last edited:
PPH is my fave. Bright, sunny, with big rooms. Terrific staff whenever we stayed there, and almost every time we stayed there we got upgraded.

DLH is nice, but...

The Grand is my least fave. Tiny, dark rooms.
Totally agree with this. I do prefer DLH, but PPH is my second fav.

First, going around through DTD was the way people were actually routed by Disney. Some of us decided years ago to start cutting through the Grand, but if you followed the signs Disney provided you were sent around through DTD. I'm angry as anyone that they don't let you enter unless you are eating or staying there, but I also know that it was a "hack".
You can exit out thru the Grand to the PPH still.

No complaints about the hotel itself just remebered the elevators being a bit of a night mare .
Elevators are majorly improved! The system they have now works great!

Well great. Now I want to stay there again on our trip next year! :lmao:I was trying to go cheap! How I miss it .... :goodvibes

Having never been to DL, but many times to WDW..... how long is the walk from PPH to the park entrance?
Many people have said it's long. But in comparison..... Like is it as long as the walk from Boardwalk at WDW to the entrance of Epcot? Or HS? Or longer?
Is it a covered walkway (in case of rain or extreme heat?)
Just trying to get a good idea of when to leave the room to get to in for extra magic hour.

We are GCH people. Got spoiled there when it first opened. Once, while trying to save $, we stayed at PPH. We still had just as good of time at Disneyland, but we were sad every morning and every night walking through GCH going back to the hotel. And even though it is "across the street," by the time you add in the elevator time (PPH elevators are terrible) plus the walk, it was probably 15-20 minutes extra each way, especially during busy times. And the room was "meh." But any room at Disney is better than no Disney! (I see someone wrote the elevators have improved . . . our PPH stay was over 3 years ago)

There are many things to like about the PPH. Unlike another poster above, I actually find the theming superior to the DLH (which feels like any suburban Hilton or Sheraton with a light-up headboard). Also, strangely, I've consistently found the CMs at the PPH to be the best of all three on-site hotels--happy, friendly, and helpful. I wish the club lounge had longer hours, but it's wonderful as well and generally less slammed with guests than the DLH or GCH. The pool is large, has a nearby bar, and a fun waterslide. Finally, if you can get a theme park view room at the PPH you will absolutely love leaving your curtains open and looking into DCA at all hours of the day and night.

When we could afford the resort hotels, PPH was our absolute favorite! The rooms are bright, large, and they have the couch that converts to a bed which was perfect for us! My oldest son is a wild sleeper, and my youngest prefers to have his own bed so he doesn't get kicked in the night. LOL. I will agree that the CM's were amazing! We got an upgraded room almost every time we stayed there. Also, the walk is not bad at all! It it nice that you can still exit through the grand. We loved having the view rooms! It's so neat to see DCA all night long. My kids always loved all the cute Disney theming in the rooms too. :goodvibes

@cindyfan I have never been to WDW, so I cannot give you a comparison, but I can tell you that the walkway is not covered. You mostly walk through downtown Disney which is like an open air mall. There might be overhangs that you could stand under briefly if it was raining, but it is not all covered. Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!