Parade Viewing Mat

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
My wife wants a mat she can use for parade viewing. Something she can sit on while on the ground, something lightweight and portable she can put in her backpack. I have Googled and Binged and have not come up with anything.

The idea is for it to be waterproof, reusable, easy to wipe off, etc to protect her clothing from any spilled drinks, etc.

Surely she is not the only Disney fan who wants one of these to use in the parks. Any suggestions? Or does Disney sell these on property?

So here's the thing with the parades. 90-95% of the people along the parade route are standing. If you camp out well ahead of time you *might* get a curb to sit on along main street, but even that's iffy. If you find something that works for what you're asking, just be prepared that it is highly likely she will not have a place to sit and use it.

I actually bought her one of those and she said "but i cannot fold it up" LOL
A few years ago, we got one from Disneyland as part of a package we booked, but it has disappeared. I think somebody borrowed it and never returned it and we cannot remember who to ask for it back.
It was about 3 feet long, gray, had Mickey on one side, waterproof, etc. It rolled up so we could carry it. I was hoping those were not random and I could find one again....but it seems almost impossible. She may have to take her garden kneeler.

So here's the thing with the parades. 90-95% of the people along the parade route are standing. If you camp out well ahead of time you *might* get a curb to sit on along main street, but even that's iffy. If you find something that works for what you're asking, just be prepared that it is highly likely she will not have a place to sit and use it.

That is not true. We have been doing Disney for years and we have sat through pretty much every parade we have seen (other than AK). The only time we have had to stand is when Disney tells us we have to, like during Happily Ever After.

That is not true. We have been doing Disney for years and we have sat through pretty much every parade we have seen (other than AK). The only time we have had to stand is when Disney tells us we have to, like during Happily Ever After.

You must have some pretty awesome parade jedi tricks then! It is highly uncommon to be able to sit for the parades during the regular park days, unless you're there during very slow times. AK hasn't had a parade since 2014, so I'm not sure if you've been recently.

Agree! I was going to post the same response. If you get there early enough and on the curb... no reason to stand.
We have in the past used just a merchandise bag from a purchase we have made. Or.... one of our ponchos. Just fold it to the size you want.... for 1, 2 or 3 people to sit. It doesn't have a "cushion" but it kept us dry when there's been rain and clean.
I think you can look at some place like Dick's Sporting Goods and find something.... they carry bleacher seats, camping seats and covers.... just a suggestion of where you might look! :)

We used to make these in Girl Scouts all the time for sitting in wet grass, on dirt, in parking lots, etc. Look up "sit-upon"s. That what we called them.

I have something called a Neat Sheet that we’ve used for the same purpose, but not sure if they even make them anymore. Last trip was during Xmas season so I bought a Dollar Tree plastic felt-backed gingerbread tablecloth and used that :). You could just toss it afterward if it gets nasty.

We used to make these in Girl Scouts all the time for sitting in wet grass, on dirt, in parking lots, etc. Look up "sit-upon"s. That what we called them.
Dude, I just googled this and had totally forgotten those!! Thanks for the reminder—may have to whip up a couple of these for some things we have coming up!

I agree with what others have said.

A few items I find very useful, and multi-purpose: WDW shopping bags, giant Ziploc bags (2.5gal or larger), and the plastic hotel laundry drawstring bags (found is almost every hotel closet).

For this situation, you could put almost anything inside one of the above bags to use as a cushion. You could specifically bring a little blanket or cushion (+put inside the bag), but I personally would just put one or more of our jackets/sweatshirts in a bag and sit on that.

The above meets all your criteria: light, portable, easy to put in a backpack- plus multi-purpose! For that matter, you could also repurpose one of those inexpensive plastic ponchos this way as well (after using for rain).

If you want something slightly more sturdy, but similar- WDW now sells reusable shopping bags for about a dollar. You can buy them at your local grocery/big box store as well. They are handy for travel, as they are light, take up little room. If you wind up short on luggage space: they can be used as carry-on luggage. Some of the Disney ones are kind of cute; they could even be used to wrap gifts if you don't use it as a sat cushion. Best of all, you wouldn't have to carry it around all day if you don't want: just buy one shortly before you plan to use it. The Disney ones are the wipeable kind of plastic, and they have a different one for each park plus DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter