Paper dinnerware in DVC

saturday97

<font color=blue>Illegally Blonde<br><font color=d
In response to the blog post (sorry, I couldn't log on to post over there), just wanted to let you know that this has become a big scandal for Las Vegas hotels after a video circulated on the web that showed some hidden camera footage of poor housekeeping practices when it came to the glassware in the hotel rooms. Drinking glasses were cleaned with Windex or worse (trust me, you don't want to know).

Whether or not this video is an accurate portrayal, there was an outcry to move to more sanitary practices. While the larger units have dishwashers, Disney may have had concerns about housekeeping being able to keep all of that dinnerware really clean in the studios. I don't know what their procedure is (if they remove and replace dirty dishes, or clean them in the sink while doing the room, etc.) but I have noticed this change in a few hotels lately.

I would prefer a "green" option, personally, or installing dishwashers in the studios if at all possible, but maybe this was a quick fix.

Again, I don't know if this is the real reason, but it seems to be a trend in other hotels.

It's my understanding that if are staying in a studio and ask for extra paper plates and bowls, they charge you. Will this be the same if you need extra cups?

I know this will sound silly, but I actually wash the dishes before using them at a hotel. A couple times I found glassware and dishes that were "less than clean" and I just got in the habit of washing stuff before I used it.

That being said, I'm really disappointed they are doing this in the studios. The kids like waffles in the morning and they don't work too well on paper plates. Plus I hate coffee in styrofoam cups. And plastic silverware is usually about useless. So now, I'm going to have to pack sturdy plates and bring my own silverware???? That's ridiculous. :mad:

It's my understanding that if are staying in a studio and ask for extra paper plates and bowls, they charge you. Will this be the same if you need extra cups?

There should be no charge for any of the additional paper goods you request. As a DVC owner and having several emails back and forth to Member Serviced, they have stated they will provide additional cups upon request. They have also stated that glasses/mug will be provided upon request for stand alone DVC resorts (SSR & OKW at WDW).

What is the email for them? I want to print out the response I get in case there's a problem getting extra, if needed.

What is the email for them? I want to print out the response I get in case there's a problem getting extra, if needed.

Nikki, the easiest thing to do is to go the the DVC Member website and send an email thru there.

There is a blurb about the revised glass policy in the news section of site. It did not, as of last night, contan the part about glasses being provided upon request to those of us who own SSR & OKW. A number of folks on the DVC boards, myself included, have request they they clarify this. I have not gotten to check to see if they have.

Kab407, this thread, http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1761110, over in the DVC-Mousecellaneous forum contains a response from DVC that reports the opposite of what you're saying.

> We have since determined that we will be able to provide glassware and
> ceramic mugs at resorts where glass washing equipment is available.
> This includes Disney's Beach Club Villas, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The
> Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas and
> the Inn rooms at Disney's Vero Beach Resort.
>
> For all DVC stand-alone campus properties (Disney's Saratoga Springs
> Resort & Spa, Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's Hilton Head Island
> Resort and the villas at Disney's Vero Beach Resort) that do not have
> glass washers available, we will continue to utilize the disposable cups
> until we can source a more environmentally friendly product. We are
> investigating the possibility of installing glass washers at specified
> locations throughout the stand-alone campus properties.

Let me retract that. On closer reading the reply says that at SSR and OKW you can ask for glassware and DVC will remove it at the end of your stay so Kab407 was correct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter