Pandora rides

not sure if any one has said this yet, but the part that you lean agenst dose vibrate some dunning the ride and a little before hand. just incase someone has a problem with this. I was able to push my self back some so I did not feel it,

There is now a trial ride seat outside of Flights if Passage and a twitter account named onthegoinmco posted this picture of a suggested transfer.
18645659_133231573902625_5106578882148958208_n.jpg

That looks possible. Maybe within 30 seconds, although why that requirement when the ride doesn't start until everyone is loaded and isn't time dependent. I think the hard part for me will be getting back off. Backing up onto my seat can be hard if I have to go back while raising myself up. So it'll depend a lot on the seat height of the Banshee.

I do know that practicing outside would just wear me out and then the actual transfer would be tougher since I'm now tired from doing multiple transfers outside.

I really would like to see that tiered bump steps(?) for the Na'vi River Journey. Are they meant as real steps or as a sit and bump up/down steps? Do the have a good spot to grab onto something so you can lift yourself?

That looks possible. Maybe within 30 seconds, although why that requirement when the ride doesn't start until everyone is loaded and isn't time dependent.

I do know that practicing outside would just wear me out and then the actual transfer would be tougher since I'm now tired from doing multiple transfers outside.

I really would like to see that tiered bump steps(?) for the Na'vi River Journey. Are they meant as real steps or as a sit and bump up/down steps? Do the have a good spot to grab onto something so you can lift yourself?

I know they are trying to get load down that fast but it def was not 30 seconds for us to load.

I have an inflatable cushion that I use for my back. It can be worn, like a fanny pack in reverse, and it can be inflated with just a few breaths so that it will not take up too much room- just enough to give me a little support when the vehicle moves. I still have to do lots of research on the ride vehicle's movements before I decide whether to take a chance, but I think the cushion would really help prevent the kind of motion that causes me issues with my back. Sudden movements forward which cause the small of my back to move back in a seat can be a problem. ( sadly, I no longer ride any coasters) Soarin' is now my favorite ride because I can relax!!

Thanks to everyone for posting on this thread!

I am wondering about what kind of cushioning might be allowed for safety reasons. I know that my friend was told to move her sweatshirt from under her when she was on Space Mountain. I know my husband, even as a paraplegic, could ride it with a small cushion under him, but this may not be allowed.

I am wondering about what kind of cushioning might be allowed for safety reasons. I know that my friend was told to move her sweatshirt from under her when she was on Space Mountain. I know my husband, even as a paraplegic, could ride it with a small cushion under him, but this may not be allowed.

I am hoping it will be allowed since it is strapped to my body and can't fly out during the ride.

I'm guessing nothing can be put between the rider and the seat, but I don't know for sure.

I found this video demonstrating the trial seat on the large Theme Parks Pandora thread:

IMG_2139.JPG IMG_2141.JPG
Here are some other recent pictures of the test ride seat. The top picture shows the back restraint.
If the back is in the green area on the picture, both the back and leg/thigh restraints will engage and you are good to go.

The other picture shows a rider in the restraint as it would be when riding. It does show the location of the leg/thigh restraints. From descriptions I've seen posted, exactly where the leg restraint fits depends on the rider's height, thigh size, length of leg and exact position.
Someone posted they had seen a young woman who was in a wheelchair and could not totally straighten her leg who was able to fit correctly in the test vehicle.

not sure if any one has said this yet, but the part that you lean agenst dose vibrate some dunning the ride and a little before hand. just incase someone has a problem with this. I was able to push my self back some so I did not feel it,

There are definitely vibrations along your chest and back where you're pressed up against the ride vehicle before and during the ride. During the ride there is also rhythmic pressure on your legs. The vibrations totally took me by surprise and almost overwhelmed me.

However, vibrations aside, I did find this ride exceptionally soothing. The rhythmic pressure was super calming for me.

Just a little more about the lines for FOP if any one is wondering.

where the FP and stand by merge there are ( 3 or 4 lines) that go down a ramp and 3 or 4 lines that goes up a ramp.

If you are using a mobility device they will put you in the Right line going down the ramp every one else it really depends ( it looked like they were having single riders in the center line) all the line going down would put you on the bottom floor, and if you went up the ramp you were either on the second or 3 floor ( the 3 floor you would go thought a door, and up one flight of stars).

after you get out you will go either down one or two flight of stars, or if you are at the bottom floor just straight out and then down a long ramp with a cut off of more ramps or stars. then you will wind op in wind treader ( unless they have it blocked off like they did opening day)

The stand by lines very long with a lot of swish backs, a few different rooms and a ramp that goes back and forth ( the bottom floor of the ride is really the 3 floor, of the building)

The FP line is still kind of long half out side and half inside, and up a good incline .

I only did the river one one time and they let my friend stay in her ECV and ask if she needed more time to get in and out of the boat she did not so we just went with every one else there was another guest right infant of us that did and they brought that guest to where they were unloading and let them load there, ( I think this is what happened)

I only did the river one one time and they let my friend stay in her ECV and ask if she needed more time to get in and out of the boat she did not so we just went with every one else there was another guest right infant of us that did and they brought that guest to where they were unloading and let them load there, ( I think this is what happened)
They do that for a lot of attractions where people with mobility devices need to transfer because the loading and unloading points are usually not in the same spot. It puts the mobility device at the exit so the CMs don't have to move it.

Meanwhile, at the Na’vi River Journey ride, while there are no “wheelchair boats” that such a device could simply roll right onto, they do have a multi-tiered set of steps that allow guests to more easily descend into the boat. The rows on the boat are quite large as well, making it easier to assist a guest who must transfer into the vehicle. It’s not perfect, but it isn’t terribly complicated either. Transferring from a wheelchair is a necessity at many slow-moving Walt Disney World attractions, including The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Spaceship Earth.

Does anyone have any idea of what "a multi-tiered set of steps" is? Hoping to take my dad on this in Sept. He's 80, diabetic, and a recent stroke victim with balance problems. There will be a few strong men in our family to assist but I'm worried he can't step into the boats without a railing or something similar to grab to steady himself.

Does anyone have any idea of what "a multi-tiered set of steps" is? Hoping to take my dad on this in Sept. He's 80, diabetic, and a recent stroke victim with balance problems. There will be a few strong men in our family to assist but I'm worried he can't step into the boats without a railing or something similar to grab to steady himself.
They are not what they sound like. First of all, they are not meant for walking on. A lot of people call them 'bump steps' because the user basically bumps up or down them on their butt.

I don't have a picture of the ones for the boat, but transfer tiers are a set of stairs made for people to move to and from their wheelchair in a seated position. The first step would usually be the height of a wheelchair seat and the person transfers to that step. The next steps would be down or up depending on which direction you need to go.
Last, there would be a surface to slide over to the seat you are transferring to.

IMG_1202.jpg I just found a picture of one of the transfer devices for the Na'vi River Ride.
This would be the step one. The article didn't explain how it is used, but I can make an educated guess.....
Even though the device is sitting on the ground, that is not how it would be used. You can see a leg to the left of the picture and a shaped cutout under the top step. That area would be placed on the side of the boat with one side of the steps inside and the other side outside of the boat.
One part would be 'wheelchair seat' height so a person seated in a wheelchair could easily move over to it. Then it's a matter of transferring to each step and swinging legs over the side of the boat.
That kind of device might also be useful for someone who is not using a wheelchair, but would feel more secure transferring that way.

Looking at that picture I'm beginning to think those might actually be steps. The top step there doesn't look close to wheelchair seat height. Maybe those steps are used for inside the boat and one step out, then an additional set for going up the rest of the way to seat height? Or maybe the whole thing was really just designed as an aid to step into/out of the boat for those who can walk but can't do the big step?

IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2180.jpg
Looking at that picture I'm beginning to think those might actually be steps. The top step there doesn't look close to wheelchair seat height. Maybe those steps are used for inside the boat and one step out, then an additional set for going up the rest of the way to seat height? Or maybe the whole thing was really just designed as an aid to step into/out of the boat for those who can walk but can't do the big step?
I wish we had more info. The one picture here is the boat with the step from the original photos.
The other photo is a combination of the 2 - obviously, not exactly to scale with the cutout over the side of the boat and the 'legs' inside the boat on the seat. It looks like it wouldn't work for steps. The bottom step would only be a few inches off the ground. And, the top step would would be a really big step down to the seat.

My thought for if it was a wheelchair transfer device would be it go the other way, with the steps going into the boat down to seat. The 'top' step would be one 'transfer down' from the wheelchair seat, so it would not be as high as the wheelchair seat. The holes on the sides could be handholds.

I guess we shall see.

Attachments

• IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 7
Yea Sue, it'll be tough to figure out how that works until we see it in use. I think the metal legs slide down between the boat and the dock. The black notch under the steps goes on the side of the boat. That would get you across the gap and down onto the seat. But when you come back that top step would still be about a foot below most wheelchair seats. But I may be way off on the scale of the steps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter