Pan American Swimming Championships (and Disney when not swimming)

splash327

Mouseketeer
The Pan American Swimming Championships were held in Orlando, Fl from July 22nd to August 10th. The swimming portion was held July 28th thru August 4th. I was competing on July 28,29, August 3, and 4. I had a split trip where we (the whole family) flew into Orlando on July 26th and they flew back on July 29th. I flew back in the morning of the 30th and returned on August 2nd for the last three events. I flew home on August 6th.

We started on July 26 with a 6:05 flight from Raleigh to Orlando. When we arrived at the airport, the flight was already delayed (10 min). The delay grew as we waited and we ended up leaving Raleigh at 6:40. So instead of landing at 7:40 we ended up landing at 8:10. This put our first fast pass at 7 Dwarfs in jeopardy (8:30-9:30). We drove to MK and proceeded to get my two son's annual passes. At that point we decided not to try for 7 Dwarfs, but instead do our last fast pass at Thunder Mountain. We were all commenting, who goes into Magic Kingdom after Happy Ever After to ride one ride, but we did. A few stops at some shops on the way out and we were off to the Beach Club. Our room had a great view of Crescent Lake and the Dance Hall over by Boardwalk. And we had a pleasant surprise of a box of chocolates from the Ganachery and a note thanking us for making the Yacht and Beach Club our favorite resort. We were ready for an early day 2 to Toy Story Land.

Last edited:
Day 2 - Hollywood Studios and Epcot

Early Extra Magic Hours at Hollywood Studios meant we were up and out early to visit Toy Story Land. We were able to ride all three rides pretty quickly with only about a 20 minute wait for Slinky and we walked on the other 2 rides (Aliens and Mid-way mania). We tried out the smores french toast and that was a big hit, although we thought we could have done with one less since there were left overs. It was then off to our fast passes on Rockin Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror and Mid-way mania. We got another fast pass for Star Tours and meet with Chip and Dale. At that point it was getting way to hot. We went back to our room and headed for Storm along bay. On the way back I was able to get a fast pass for test track at 8pm. After playing with the app on the walk back, I was able to move the fast pass to 3pm that day.

After some fun swimming we headed into Epcot. As we were heading to Test track we noticed some dark clouds moving in and they were already making announcements that the ride could shut down. We got all the way up to the loading platform when they shut the ride down due to lighting. As we watched our phones to see the storm, we decided to wait it out for awhile. We had already gotten a fast pass for Soarin' so we didn't know if we could get our test track fast pass back. After about a 30 minute wait, the radar was showing the storms were not moving but it looked like the rain had let up some in Epcot. We asked about getting a replacement fast pass and they said we could get an anytime pass to replace test track for when it reopened. So we did that and headed for the Land and some food. After eating we went on Soarin', Nemo, Spaceship Earth and Imagination and by then Test track had opened up. Lighting was still visible all around Epcot as it seemed to be surrounded by storms. Our final fast pass was Illuminations as we wanted to catch it one last time before it goes away.

After closing Epcot, the family went back to Hollywood Studios for extra magic hours while I went to bed since I was competing the next day. They were not able to get on Slinky due to the lines, but were able to ride tower of terror again.

Day 3 - Animal Kingdom, Saana, 800 free, and Disney's After Hours

So day 3 we got up early and made it for extra magic hours in Animal Kingdom. Our first ride was to be River Journey since we've all rode Flight of Passage and we had a fast pass for it later in the day. So we went straight back to there and got in line for it. While we liked it, we all agreed we wouldn't wait in the 60+ minute standby line for it. The gang then had Bao Buns at Satu'li cafe in Pandora. They loved them. I had a chicken bowl since I was watching what I ate before my swim. Then it was off to the safari which was good but not as good as the night safari we had in April where the giraffe's were running towards the truck and the key hi-light of the lioness pushing the lion off the rock. Then we did the Up show which was pretty good even though it was getting hot and Everest. At this point it was time for lunch.

We had lunch at Saana, which I think I would have enjoyed more except that I was worried about having all the spices before swimming. My wife that hates spices, didn't like it. I think if we had stayed with the dinner on Friday it might have been better. Not many animals were out either due to all the heat as well. My kids enjoyed their meal though.

Now it was off to the YMCA Aquatic Center on I-Drive for the meet. I knew where the pool was since I've competed there several times already, but the traffic on Sand lake road was incredible. I guess I've never driven there with the summer crowds. I did well, but not as fast as I would have liked, finishing 5th with a time of 10:10.67. Now it was time to party.

We then headed directly back to Animal Kingdom for our fast pass on Flight of Passage. This is one of my favorites in Disney now. I've ridden it 5 times now. Then we had pizza at Pizza Safari, which seems to be not as good as I remember from last year, but the Safari Ale is a favorite of mine. Now it was back to the Magic Kingdom for After Hours.

We decided with the short trip, it would be nice to do the Disney's After Hours at MK. While it took a good hour to get from Animal Kingdom to the front of Magic Kingdom, we once again found ourselves entering the park when Happily Ever After was ending. After swimming upstream, we started the party with some fun. We did Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Seven Dwarfs, Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, and Space. We also got several Ice creams and popcorn and we all left with a soda for later. We had a fun time in the park and it was nice to have the smaller lines.

I enjoyed reading your trip report. DH and I have done Disney After Hours at MK and loved it.

How did you finish in the Swimming Championships?

I enjoyed reading your trip report. DH and I have done Disney After Hours at MK and loved it.

How did you finish in the Swimming Championships?

We had a great time with the After Hours. My kids were talking it was like the parties way back when we initially went to them.

Day 4 - Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, 400 IM, and Storm Along Bay

So the next day we got up a little late, went into Epcot and did our favorite lunch location, French Pastries in France. I needed to get to the pool so after breakfast I headed up I-4. The family headed into Epcot and rode Frozen then did pictures in Epcot. They then wanted to do some shopping so they headed over to Magic Kingdom. They also wanted to try and see the Incredibles in Tomorrowland. The pictures from Epcot were awesome. (I'll try to add some soon) They then park hopped to meet me at Hollywood Studios for our Slinky Dog fast pass.

I did really well in the 400 IM getting a personal best of 5:52.38 and a 9th place finish. It was a really good swim and it gave me confidence heading into the events the following weekend.

At this point it had gotten incredibly hot and as we entered Hollywood Studios we received a notification that Slinky was down and we were given anytime fast passes. With the family only having a couple hours before their flight back, we went back to the hotel to swim and then take them to the Airport. Since my flight wasn't until the next morning (I didn't know when I would swim when I booked my flight so I picked an early morning flight back), I headed back to Hollywood Studios after taking them to the Airport and got on Star Tours, Slinky Dog, Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller coaster twice. It was a fun night but staying up late and then getting up at 3 to catch a 6 am flight was a little rough.

Day 5 - Hollywood studios

So after flying back on Monday morning and working Monday - Thursday, I headed back down to Orlando for the second weekend of the swim meet. This time I was on my own. I had fast passes for Hollywood studios but I wanted to make it an early night since I was swimming two events the next day. I really love Slinky dog at night. It's really cool with the lights and the second launch point. It was also amazing how much had changed in the parking lot since I was there Sunday night. They had moved all the bus loops and changed the path to the hotels. I was impressed with the progress since April on things, but the changes in a week were unbelievable.

Day 6 - 200 IM, 200 Fly and Magic Kingdom

Friday was my big day at the meet. I had two events and was going to spend most of my time at the pool. I was 23rd going into the 200 IM and 13th going into the 200 fly. It was really hot at the aquatic center which is sort of indoors (it has a roof which can open and windows that they open as well). My 200 IM was unbelievable, not only did I win my heat, but I dropped 7.5 seconds from my time and also beat my time from 30+ years ago in High School. I moved all the way up to 11th place. Later in the day was the 200 fly, which I've done in a few meets, the last being 3 weeks before in Virginia Beach. I had a great swim here as well, dropping another 3 seconds from my time a couple weeks ago and moving all the way up to 8th place. A good swim all around.

After a day of swimming it was off to the Magic Kingdom. I knew I could go a little late here since I was not swimming until 4:45 in the afternoon the next day. I visited all the mountains in MK and got in a few extra rides. The big thing was, each time I went to use a fast pass the ride had broken down. Splash was down when I went to use my fast pass so I went to eat at Pecos Bill (very good tacos by the way) and I got an anytime fast pass for it, although it opened before I finished eating. Then Space broke down and they turned on all the lights just as I was coming up to main queue where you board, another anytime fast pass so I did Buzz and waited on the fast pass to see if Space would come back up. Thunder stopped on the second chain hill during the finale of Happy Ever After, which was cool to see the fireworks from there and Tinker Bell flying from that view point. Space finally opened after the fireworks, so I sprinted across the park to get it in. A Mickey apple on the way out and the night was complete.

Day 7 - Epcot, 400 free and Hollywood Studios

After sleeping in, I headed over to Epcot with my three original fast passes. (Soarin', Imagination, and Space) Today was a test of something I had seen on youtube, so I thought I would see how many fast passes I could get before noon. At that point I was heading back to the hotel and a nap before my swim at 4:45. So off to Soarin' at 9:20, after passing the second touch point I then tried to move my Imagination fast pass from 10:20 - 11:20 to an earlier time. Success on the first try, snagged a 9:25 fast pass for imagination, so I could get off Soarin and head straight there. Got to imagination around 9:45 and after riding tried to move Space, no luck so I decided to do single rider line on Test Track. While in line for test track I finally was able to move Space to 10:30. So from test track and went to Space. While waiting in the fast pass line for space I was able to get Nemo for that exact time (I think it was almost 11 at this point) so I went straight there after Space. Then at Nemo I was able to get another Soarin' for 11:15. Then while at Soarin' got a land fast pass for 11:30. Then a spaceship earth for 11:45. I was rocking through rides at this point. At spaceship earth I was debating leaving or trying one more ride, so I looked at the app and was able (somehow) to get a Frozen for 12:30. I ate lunch in the land and then did Frozen and then headed back to the hotel at 1:00. Crashed for a nap.

Made it to the pool around 3:00, and the meet was ahead of the timeline. Warmed up and then swam around 4:15. What a race. At the first 50 I was in last place. By the 350 point I had moved into 2nd and I was 2 seconds behind the leader, a friend of mine from South Carolina. In the end, he touched me out, but I finished with a personal best of 4:51.88. This was a good 10 seconds faster than the last meet 3 weeks before. I ended up in 9th place which was a good ending for the meet.

Afterwards, I headed to Hollywood Studios since I had done almost all the rides at Epcot. I had gotten a fast pass for Rockin' Roller coaster before I left Epcot so that was my first stop. Of course, just like the night before in Magic Kingdom, the coaster was down. I headed over to the Brew House and got a beer and my favorite pretzel in all of Disney World. The beer cheese dip is excellent. Then a ride on Star Tours, Tower of Terror and a quick check on Rockin' Roller Coaster, still down. I wanted to head to Epcot and have dinner there and see illuminations since rumors are that it will be going away soon.

Entering Epcot, I was very hungry at this point and decided to try the fish and chips in UK. They didn't have any up, so there was a slight wait, but they were outstanding. So good that even the ducks and a stork near me wanted me to share. From there it was off to Mexico to get the one remaining ride and then a slow walk around world showcase. I ended the night in France and enjoyed an excellent location between France and Morocco to view the fireworks. Then the walk back to my car at Hollywood Studios and to see if the Roller Coaster was working.

I stopped at the store on the boardwalk and got a mickey apple and a frozen lemonade. The frozen lemonade was more ice than lemonade but it kept the apple from melting the rest of the night. The roller coaster was back so I did that and Tower of Terror and it was off to the hotel.

Day 8 - Four Parks, One World, One Day

Originally I had planned to also do the open water swim at Daytona Beach on Sunday, so my flight back to Raleigh wasn't until Monday morning again. But after breaking a toe in June and having to take some time off from the water, I decided not to do the swim since it was a 5k. So the new plan was to try and go to each park and hit the major rides. I've done this one other time when I've been in Orlando for the Rowdy Gains meet, but that was smaller since I had to swim from 2pm to 8pm. That time I rope dropped MK, did the major rides (7 Dwarfs, Pan, Thunder, Pirates, Space, Buzz, Splash) then hopped to AK for Everest, went to swim, then did Test Track and Soarin' at Epcot and Star Tours, Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios during extra magic hours.

This plan was much bigger. I had Hollywood Studios opening on Extra Magic hours at 7am and I had gotten into the V.I. Passholder event at MK that night. So 7 am to midnight in the Disney Parks. Since it was extra magic hours at HS, I did fast passes at Animal Kingdom for Flight of Passage, Safari, and Everest. I was not going for every ride in every park, but I wanted to do as much as I could. I broke the day into segments, 7-10am at HS, 10-2 at AK, 2-6 at Epcot, 6-12 at MK.

So up at 6 am and off to Hollywood Studios. I went straight for Slinky Dog, got the s'mores french toast in Toy Story Land (Highly recommend, but it's a big portion and very sweet, very shareable), mid-way mania, Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller coaster was down so I went to Star Tours, then muppets to see if RnR would open and then even though the app said it was still closed, walked over to the coaster and it had just opened up. 9:50 a picture in front of the Theater and I was off to Animal Kingdom.

I moved my Safari fast pass up so it was straight there for some animals. I then moved Everest up to 10:10 and I headed there right after the Safari. It was getting hot at the hottest park. Everest was a blast and I decided my challenge would be to ride all the roller coasters. This meant a trip to primeval whirl after Everest. I then tried for Dinosaur but it was broken, so I went to see Tough to be a bug since the last time I did that my boys were 4 & 5 and we had to leave during the Hopper part. Then I went to Pandora for lunch at the Satu'li Canteena to get those Bao Buns that I missed the week before (very good) and then on to Flight of Passage. While waiting in Flight of Passage I was able to secure a Soarn' fast pass for Epcot. I picture in front of the Tree and off to Epcot.

So into Epcot I went, now determined to use Fast Passes as much as possible. This park seemed empty the whole time I was there. I think due to the time of day and the heat, everyone was somewhere else. After Soarin', I went on the land, Imagination, Nemo, Spaceship Earth, Test Track (signal rider), and Frozen. I decided that I needed to walk around World Showcase as well. A quick picture on the way out and now it was time for the last park on the list.

I had a dinner reservation at Diamond Horseshoe at 7:15, and knowing that this is the most difficult hop, I planned extra time. I got a quick picture in front of the castle and noticed that main street was really empty. I hit the Muppet show near hall of presidents and then headed for Dinner. The food here is outstanding. The brisket in my opinion was better than some of the local BBQ joints in the Raleigh Durham Area. Dinner was great, and I now needed to get my band for Passholder night and my fast pass for Splash.

The Passholder night checkin was at Tortuga, across from Pirates, so I headed there after dinner. The line to check in was all the way back to carpets, so I decided to stop back later, I had a fast pass, so why wait in a line. After Splash there was no line to check in, so I got my band and went on Pirates. While in line for Pirates I got a fast pass for Pooh Bear and formulated a plan to work my way there during the fireworks and then go from there. After Pirates I then headed towards Fantasy Land, but I noticed that Country Bears was just about to start and it had been awhile since I'd seen it. So off to country bears. During the show I could hear the fireworks, and I was thinking that I missed a chance at Pan. So after the country bears I headed for Thunder instead to take advantage of the short line. Then off to Pooh for the fast pass as the park closed and switched to the Passholder event.

When I came off Pooh, my first thought was 7 dwarfs since it was right there, but so was everyone else. It was a mob scene as the queue still had about 40 minutes of people and the passholders were using the fast pass queue. So off to Haunted Mansion. I walked right into the stretching room even though it said the wait was 20 minutes. (I know the wait time now since I was caught on one of the blogger's videos from the passholder night. He was complaining about the wait time and I get in line.) From there I did some things that were not well thought out, but I was getting tired. Since I had done most of the one side of the park, and 7 dwarfs was long, I decided to head for Space Mtn. Only issue was, it was down, so when I got to tomorrow land I decided to do Buzz instead. Then the thought of the people mover when Space is down, but that was not included in the passholder night. But no worries, Space had just opened back up. Coming off of space, I thought of my original challenge of all the roller coasters. I was still doing well and had about an hour to get Goofy's and 7 dwarfs so down the TRON smoking path to Goofy I went. After Goofy I thought of Dumbo, but with a 20 minute wait, I wasn't interested. I then went to Little Mermaid and then got in line for 7 dwarfs with about 30 minutes left in the night. Coaster challenge complete. I was able to run to Pan after 7 dwarfs and got one last ride in before the night was done.

Some statistics from my adventure. 17 hours, 30 rides, 41,835 steps, 20.07 miles (which doesn't include walking from Pan out of the park to the parking lot and out to my car)

I got back to the hotel after 1 pm and got up at 3:30 to fly back Raleigh. Overall a great swim meet, a really fun time. Next trip in October for the Rowdy Gains Classic.

Congrats on your personal best times!! My family are/were all competitive swimmers. DD is a fly and IM girl, DS is a free guy and I was a backstroke/breast gal.

I can't believe you swam and did so much WDW :)

Congrats on your personal best times!! My family are/were all competitive swimmers. DD is a fly and IM girl, DS is a free guy and I was a backstroke/breast gal.

I can't believe you swam and did so much WDW :)

Thank you! I do have to say that since we've been several times, that it's actually gotten easier to navigate Disney World. It also could be that I don't have to push a stroller anymore.

Congratulations on all your swimming events.

My gosh, you've got the FP+ system down! You were able to go on tons of rides.

Congratulations on all your swimming events.

My gosh, you've got the FP+ system down! You were able to go on tons of rides.

Thanks! We joke that it's a game to play in line. Get a fast pass no matter what the time and then keep refreshing the app till you get the time you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!