Palo Brunch...

I wore yoga pants to Palo brunch on my first cruise! We hadn't been able to book in advance so I figured we weren't doing it... But someone in my party knew better than I did and got us a reservation once we boarded. This was back when you couldn't wear jeans at all. Yoga pants were my only other option. Luckily I had a nicer button-down shirt and "dressy" flats so I think I looked okay.

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me... the stretch of the yoga pants really helped when I started eating everything in sight! :rotfl:

Yes! Always wear something loose or stretchy. :rotfl: It sounds like you looked just fine with how you accented them. :thumbsup2 The girl I saw looked like what I look like when I'm cleaning my house. I wouldn't go to a any restaurant looking like that nevermind one that has a dress code. It could have been a case of lost luggage or something like that, a legitimate reason so I can't really judge, but I was just very surprised to see that in Palo.

AFAIK, dress code still enforced at Palo. Not like the MDRs where it's just a suggestion now.

AFAIK, dress code still enforced at Palo. Not like the MDRs where it's just a suggestion now.
Well, it's enforced as much as it ever was. I agree it's more than in the MDR, but there are some maitre 'd who aren't as firm about the dress code as others (or so it seems).

Well, it's enforced as much as it ever was. I agree it's more than in the MDR, but there are some maitre 'd who aren't as firm about the dress code as others (or so it seems).

It can be hit or miss. We've seen people in shorts at both of our most recent brunches. There were a man in a t-shirt at one of our more recent dinners as well

My husband was wearing a nice pair of shorts and polo and was asked to change at our brunch reservation this past March. I thought it was odd that the CM who approached us specially said, "jeans are fine." I agree that a nice pair of shorts with some nice Sperry's is much more classy than a pair of jeans:confused3

On our first cruise for Palo brunch I made a huge big deal about him (and I) needing dressy clothes and then we were very disappointed by the lack of nice attire that we saw. We assumed he would be more than fine this most recent time with what he had on based on that experience.

I get having a dress code if it's actually going to be consistently enforced.

Palo Brunch is one of the things that makes cruising special for us. I love spending time with my kids - but I also cherish the few opportunities I get to spend some quiet time in conversation with my wife. We don't need to be dressed up for it, but the extra effort adds a touch of ritual to the event. For us, a little dressy is a good thing. I save the tux for formal night, but I wear a suit and tie to Palo. Sure, we will be with other diners who are dressed down some - but that doesn't impact our experience at all.

A bonus for me, being in one of my suits encourages me to quit eating while the suit is still comfortable.

Thanks for this thread - will be bringing a pair of pants on our cruise.

Totally didn’t know this rule.

I’m a little surprised they’d allow jeans.

Any women’s shoe suggestions? I have an odd situation...

Our cruise starts June 1. I had all my formal dressy clothes selected in my head. I broke my leg 2 weeks ago and now have a very stylish boot (I pleaded for no cast since we were going on vacation). My current footwear rotates around a selection of 4-5 different running shoes for the good leg. I need something higher to balance the height of the boot. I’m also on crutches.

No way can I navigate a heel with the boot and crutches. I can probably walk with a dressier flip flop, but don’t want to get rejected at Palo. The boot is so bulky and ugly.

Our cruise starts June 1. I had all my formal dressy clothes selected in my head. I broke my leg 2 weeks ago and now have a very stylish boot (I pleaded for no cast since we were going on vacation). My current footwear rotates around a selection of 4-5 different running shoes for the good leg. I need something higher to balance the height of the boot. I’m also on crutches.

No way can I navigate a heel with the boot and crutches. I can probably walk with a dressier flip flop, but don’t want to get rejected at Palo. The boot is so bulky and ugly.

I would hope they would overlook any footwear choices based on your circumstances.

I would think if you could find a dressy flat or something similar, they would be okay with that given your medical condition. It's possible that they might even let an athletic shoe slide in that circumstance.

I was in this exact situation in 2007 (except broken ankle and not leg). I went to a store that carries comfort shoes and purchased a pair of plain black mary jane style shoes with a velcro strap. They had a slight wedge heel to balance out my good foot to the height of the boot. They also served as work shoes once the boot came off because my left foot was still very swollen. The velcro strap helped with adjusting to each foot's needs.

Was denied entry this past week on the Dream for brunch with sneakers and wore their loaner pair. The only thing that bothers me is that I saw three other men wearing sneakers that didn’t have to change and many women wearing flip flops. It is a little too subjective in my opinion. I feel bad for the greeters who have to decide what is and what is not appropriate- it puts them in such a tough position. 3 Palo brunches so far and this was the first one that I could not wear my sneakers.

I’m sailing next week and have a walking boot. My PT told me athletic shoes (sneakers/running shoes) are the only thing I should be wearing on my other foot for a variety of reasons. We have brunch in Palo and I will be wearing them with my dress, lol. (Nothing will stop me from that dessert table! :laughing:) I’m sure they will have no issue with adjustments to the dress code for medical reasons of any kind. :)

Was denied entry this past week on the Dream for brunch with sneakers and wore their loaner pair. The only thing that bothers me is that I saw three other men wearing sneakers that didn’t have to change and many women wearing flip flops. It is a little too subjective in my opinion. I feel bad for the greeters who have to decide what is and what is not appropriate- it puts them in such a tough position. 3 Palo brunches so far and this was the first one that I could not wear my sneakers.
So each time you went did you know tennis shoes were against the dress code??

So each time you went did you know tennis shoes were against the dress code??
Yes, it is my small battle against dress codes :) At least ones that are silly like no sneakers (which are much nicer than flip flops or sandals and most times nicer than 'dress' shoes). Plus, I was told my first time I went by the greeter that no worries, my sneakers were fine (they are nice shoes if that helps :) )

Yes, it is my small battle against dress codes :) At least ones that are silly like no sneakers (which are much nicer than flip flops or sandals and most times nicer than 'dress' shoes). Plus, I was told my first time I went by the greeter that no worries, my sneakers were fine (they are nice shoes if that helps :) )

I feel similar about sneakers, in my case though - I live in them. Shoes hurt my feet greatly. Wear them to work every day - no one says a word to me. I wear them even to California Grill, with my nice clothes - no one has even said anything there as well.

This time - I will wear some shoes I purchased just for this cruise - deal with the pain for 2 hours - then go back to my room & change :)

I feel bad for the greeters who have to decide what is and what is not appropriate- it puts them in such a tough position. 3 Palo brunches so far and this was the first one that I could not wear my sneakers.

So then why do it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter